Philip McCrae what up with him

Transported Upstater

I don't think he's supposed to be a phenom.

If you're wondering who could be a good teenage American to keep your eye on, check out James Van Riemsdyk, who plays for our U-18 NTDP.

I doubt he falls out of the Top 3 next draft, and I think he'll make a running for #1. He has MAD SKILLZ.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
He doesn't turn 17 until March, and he's on a Knights team with Gagner, Kane, and Kostitsyn. Get past their top 6 scorers, and the rest of the team has 20 goals.

I know it's vogue to throw guys into the prospect trash bin 3 months before they're drafted, but c'mon ... let's have a little patience here.

Transported Upstater

I remember watching van riemsdyk at the u-17 final vs quebec and he was good but not great i guess he really progress since then

Oh yeah. Big-time.

He's outstanding, and if you're a prospect nut like me, you should find out more.

Transported Upstater

Im a prospect nutz buddy and i have read about him and im happy and surprised to see him go at uni. NEW HAMPSHIRE

I'm glad to see a highly ranked NTDP'er going to the Hockey East conference. I'm an ECAC and H.E. fan, so I'm glad to see such a great player from the NTDP come east! :handclap:

Also interesting to note is that New Hampshire plays on an Olympic-sized rink, like Belleville in the OHL and I think Chicoutimi(?) in the QMJHL (I'm not sure on that one.)

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
McRae is an underdeveloped 16-year-old kid playing against people much older. He's got obvious skills but it's looking like the physical toll is a little above his level right now. He still projects to be a force to be reckoned with, he just needs to keep putting on muscle and getting his feet wet.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
McRae is an underdeveloped 16-year-old kid playing against people much older. He's got obvious skills but it's looking like the physical toll is a little above his level right now. He still projects to be a force to be reckoned with, he just needs to keep putting on muscle and getting his feet wet.

That's what they keep saying about Colton Gillies....:shakehead He needs to start showing something and putting pucks in the back of net or he's gonna end up as just a "potential" player.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
That's what they keep saying about Colton Gillies....:shakehead He needs to start showing something and putting pucks in the back of net or he's gonna end up as just a "potential" player.

Colton has scored 3 times in the past 10 games, i think qualifies starting to do something. Now, I still think he should be way more productve and was very dissapointed when he was thrown out of the game in like 2 minutes against the Russian Selects. He'll get better as the year goes on, he has been getting a bit better ice time.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com

Gillies is 17. McRae is 16. The annals of junior hockey are filled with players like Claude Giroux, Dave Bolland, Benoit Pouliot, late blooming guys who couldn't handle the grind at 16 but tore up the league the next year. Give Phil time.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Phil is going to be fine. He's one of the most improved players on the team from the start of the year. It's tough for a 16 year old who is not the greatest skater to play in the OHL. Once he matures he is going to strut his stuff and his name will be pretty popular on here come the 2008 draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm glad to see a highly ranked NTDP'er going to the Hockey East conference. I'm an ECAC and H.E. fan, so I'm glad to see such a great player from the NTDP come east! :handclap:

Also interesting to note is that New Hampshire plays on an Olympic-sized rink, like Belleville in the OHL and I think Chicoutimi(?) in the QMJHL (I'm not sure on that one.)

I can say with about as much assurance as possible that JVR is going to New Hampshire mainly because of the area he's from (Central Jersey) and the fact that a bunch of his friends go to schools in the area (a few at Providence that I know of).

It's nice to see someone want to stay close to home and close to the people he feels comfortable with.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
I'm a bit late on my reply, but I was wondering about Mcrae as well and I didn't want to start a new thread. I remember that his selection by the Knight's was said to have something to do with the fact that his father is a part owner of the team

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I'm a bit late on my reply, but I was wondering about Mcrae as well and I didn't want to start a new thread. I remember that his selection by the Knight's was said to have something to do with the fact that his father is a part owner of the team

In addition to my previous post saying that it's really difficult for 16 year olds who are poor skaters to have success in the OHL, apparently Phil has grown 2 inches since August. People might just say these are excuses but they aren't. He's struggled a bit because of this but he's still works hard and shows a great attitude.

Phil will be fine once he matures. Eventually, he'll bust onto the scene and his development will happen fast. Hopefully that will be next year.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
At the beginning of the year he wasn't getting much icetime, but in one game where I think Gagner was not playing he got 4 assists in that game. He is more of a playmaker than scorer and he'll take off next year.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think McRae has looked better than the stats might indicate at times. Hard to say for sure where he'll go from here, but if you think about it, Kostitsyn is gone next year, Drummond is gone, Meckler should be... probably Kane and Gagner are back, and I'll guess Perry is back too as an overager... but London traditionally leans heavily on a handful of core guys, and if McRae can do whatever it takes to edge into that group, his stats will skyrocket.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
McRae is stuck in a numbers war... he definitly has bobby ryan syndrome right now he's too big and not use to it yet. His big problem is he rots on the fourth line playing with two of Jordan Shine, David Jarram or Matt Clarke. It's a waste he'd have to do it all on his own... he'll bust out next season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad