Speculation: Philip Larsen "Illness"

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Philip Larsen Has played 17 games this season, missing a huge amount due to "Illness"
Nov. 19-Dec. 3 Philip Larsen (back) 7
Dec. 21-Jan. 27 Philip Larsen (illness) 18
Feb. 1-Present Philip Larsen (illness) 3

Does anyone else think the team may just not want him playing? The only other player to have the illness tag this season was David Perron for 1 game before it was changed to a neck injury
Oct. 29 David Perron (illness) 1
Nov. 2-7 David Perron (neck) 3

Idk, makes sense?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I'm not sure if I ever heard them specify what exactly his illness was. But recently when he went back on the IR I remember the sportsnet guys mentioning his conditioning, which after such a long time off and being sick would surely be an issue.
And since it's more of a numbers game rather than a cap issue, why send him down for a conditioning stint and take away icetime from the younger guys when you can just sit him on 'IR' and let him work himself back into shape over the break.

edit, from Jan 21st:
Defenceman Philip Larsen is skating with the team again after missing several weeks to illness. He says they still aren’t sure what it was, only that it’s gone now and he’s on the way back.

“I feel better,” he said after taking the morning skate Tuesday. “It’s nice to be with the guys. It’s nice to feel you’re part of it again. It’s never fun to sit out. you feel useless sitting out, kind of waiting to be better.”

Especially when you don’t know what’s wrong in the first place.

“I just felt bad. I think it was just a flu or a virus going on, a bunch of things. They took a lot of tests and ruled out some bad things, that’s good. Hopefully it was just one of those illnesses you have. I’m glad that it’s better and hopefully I can come back in the near future.”
link

Last edited:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I'm surprised more players aren't "I'll" on the Oilers.

Soon #1 Draft Picks will stop playing Hockey. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Hopefully MacT has seen enough and he can be flushed in the offseason.

He was a HS with Dallas, he got a look here on our pathetic defence. The health issues simply make him even less reliable.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sick of playing with Oilers.

Seriously, you are one weird poster

Regardless of how poor a player plays, if he's your bias/favorite/whatever, you defend him to the end...to the point of slagging the team or using other team mates to prop said fave.

Patrick O'Sullivan, Gagner, Gilbert, Larsen...:shakehead

The players either don't mesh with the direction of team [Gagner/Gilbert] or just plain suck [Larsen/PoS]

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe he had mono?

I said that in the Kris Letang thread before it came to light that he had had a stroke. I meant it in the most innocent possible way, you know, as a purely speculative question and yet I was "removed from the discussion" almost immediately. I don't know why it's such a terrible thing to suggest.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I asked about this quite a while back... what type of illness takes this long to resolve... he played in the skills event at Rexall so he's not "noticeably" ill so not sure what has kept him out for so long.

Maybe Eakins and MacT are just sick of him bobbling the puck at the blueline so often and just stick him on IR every time they see that..."damn... there's gotta be something wrong with him to play like that... get him to a doctor" :)

Seriously though it could be a fairly serious ongoing condition so I hope he's ok in the long run and it's not like a Brule/Ranger type situation that affects his life on and off the ice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I asked about this quite a while back... what type of illness takes this long to resolve... he played in the skills event at Rexall so he's not "noticeably" ill so not sure what has kept him out for so long.

Maybe Eakins and MacT are just sick of him bobbling the puck at the blueline so often and just stick him on IR every time they see that..."damn... there's gotta be something wrong with him to play like that... get him to a doctor" :)

Seriously though it could be a fairly serious ongoing condition so I hope he's ok in the long run and it's not like a Brule/Ranger type situation that affects his life on and off the ice.

All sorts of crap it could be. From what I gather it was something that caused him to lose weight. Pretty sure Louie and Kevin said something about how he is already a small guy and to lose a lot of weight is tough on him. While he might be able to practice and do the skills event, if he loss say 15lbs and hasn't gained it back then he might not be able to play.

Edit: While it might be something like a bad flu, it could potentially be another Pisani illness as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Seriously, you are one weird poster

Regardless of how poor a player plays, if he's your bias/favorite/whatever, you defend him to the end...to the point of slagging the team or using other team mates to prop said fave.

Patrick O'Sullivan, Gagner, Gilbert, Larsen...:shakehead

The players either don't mesh with the direction of team [Gagner/Gilbert] or just plain suck [Larsen/PoS]

Not sure whe're your going with this. I actually kind of like Larsen.

But I love all the drama here and to wit:

Replacement negative on a player: "You suck, your all negative all the time, always always so soo negative.

Replacement supports a player: "You suck, always defending lousy players, defending lousy all the time, can't see ass from hole in ground etc"

sheesh:D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I dunno...if you read how he reacts to anyone criticizing his faves, he takes it personally:laugh:

Or Winter Tires...dont get him started on winter tires:laugh:
bwahahaha

Funny you mention that one during a winter where I wouldn't even remotely ever even think of winter tires outside of maybe 3 days. Jebus fantastic road conditions for all of 2014 so far. Weed after week of excellent driving conditions with great traction. This winter has been an absolute piece of cake driving wise as most Edmonton winters are.

Only thing I've needed more of is windshield wiper fluid..:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad