Confirmed with Link: Philip Kemp signed to 3 year ELC (and loaned to Vasby IK in the Allsvenskan)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I have to say it, I was always high on Marino. I thought he had a complete skillset from his first development camp. There's no doubt the lack of offense was a concern but he had no real weaknesses by my eye. He was smart, could skate, big, and was a strong passer. Kemp is a fairly complete package as well but I've never seen him to have the same degree of mobility or passing acumen.
Oh yeah I was always a fan of Marino as well, but anyone who thought he’d play second pairing minutes in the NHL straight out of college is using some major revisions list history there. I thought he’d carve out a career but nothing this quick.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Wonder why he didn't burn us and sign with some east coast team. Rangers and stuff don't need anymore defence prospects?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Well, Ok. I don’t have high expectations for Kemp but he’s RH shot and has some talent. We’ll see where this goes. My only minor, minor concern is that if he comes along well, Kesselring might feel we have too much RH side prospect depth and he may bolt. I think Kesselring has higher upside than Kemp.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Oh yeah I was always a fan of Marino as well, but anyone who thought he’d play second pairing minutes in the NHL straight out of college is using some major revisions list history there. I thought he’d carve out a career but nothing this quick.

Yeah no doubt it was quick, I thought he'd get to where he is now by the end of his ELC in a best case scenario. I just always really believed in him more than Kemp based on what I saw.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wonder why he didn't burn us and sign with some east coast team. Rangers and stuff don't need anymore defence prospects?

Maybe he’s just a high character kid that wants to play for the team that drafted him.

He’s a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders, having people like him in our organization whether that’s at the AHL level or eventually the NHL is good for the organization.

Look at how being a prima donna worked out for Vesey. Most accounts of Kemp outside of defensive zone skills are about his leadership abilities and character. Those are important for a room.

Like I said, if he carves out a Staois type career as that’s the closest comparable in terms of playing style I can think of for past Oiler D, then that’s a heck of a pick to nab in the 7th round.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pretty good turn out for a 7th round pick.

Yeah, that is really the biggest take away here. He likely doesn't have an NHL career, but the very fact that a 7th rounder got an ELC is a win in and of itself. We could very easily trade him for something like a 5th rounder right now you would think.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I’m guessing the fact the Ivy League teams aren’t playing this year has something to do with it. That probably changed a lot for him as he’s probably get a better chance of finding somewhere to play in the next 18 months if he’s under contract with the Oilers.

I wonder how it would affect the college loophole, if they don’t play this season does that push him back a year before he can go straight to UFA.

Reactions: nabob

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Excited to see Broberg-Bouchard and Samorukov-Kemp in Bakersfield. I envision same pairs possible in Edmonton in future.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Interesting that they say it’s for the remainder of the season. Makes you wonder if the AHL season is going to happen at all...

Ken Holland has killed it with these assignments. This guy has been around forever making all sorts of connections while reportedly treating people the right way and I think we're seeing the benefit of it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Interesting that they say it’s for the remainder of the season. Makes you wonder if the AHL season is going to happen at all...

Nice to see. I was thinking euro assignments opportunities would be few and far between at this point, but here's another. They possibly wanted a full commitment knowing there's a good chance there will be a huge exodus back to the NHL once they hammer out the return to play. Doesn't bother me to let him play out the season as his odds at an NHL gig this year are basically zero.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ken Holland has killed it with these assignments. This guy has been around forever making all sorts of connections while reportedly treating people the right way and I think we're seeing the benefit of it.
Yes, I love what I'm seeing... these are firsts for the Oiler's organization. Even Glen Sather didn't have the connections, multidimensional moves and pipelines from the past to the future like Ken Holland.

Reactions: snipes

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Likely better than him going to the AHL right away. He was clearly planning on stay in college this year but Covid screwed that up. I think the jump to the AHL would have been a bad thing for his development honestly. Not much structure in the AHL

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Probably more likely that a team wasn’t prepared to take a player on at this point in the season for a short term loan. A quick glance at their roster shows they’ve got 8 dmen playing regularly, which means they’re probably playing 7 dmen a lot of nights. Bringing in Kemp likely means getting rid of one

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Probably more likely that a team wasn’t prepared to take a player on at this point in the season for a short term loan. A quick glance at their roster shows they’ve got 8 dmen playing regularly, which means they’re probably playing 7 dmen a lot of nights. Bringing in Kemp likely means getting rid of one
They sent LD Fredrik Falk packing a couple of hours before getting Kemp.

Falk has been a good player for Vasby the last couple of seasons, but this year he struggled (Vasby was moved up, so opposition has obviously been tougher). In any case, I don't think they would have sent him away unless getting another D for a full season.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
upload_2020-12-7_9-27-51.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->