Confirmed with Link: Philip Kemp signed to 3 year ELC (and loaned to Vasby IK in the Allsvenskan)

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Nice. Whenever I read about him, he seems to have improved his play. Guess it's been a while since I've been so excited about a 7th rounder making it..

Reactions: McTonyBrar

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The RHD depth is shallow. Couldn’t have picked a better time to turn pro. Hopefully Manson can turn him into a useful pro

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Excellent. I never liked him as much as Marino but I also always thought he was a solid prospect. I was worried he'd pull a Marino and refuse to sign.

Reactions: snipes

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good signing, I wonder if we might send him overseas or if we just wait until the AHL season starts up and send him to the AHL club?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Good signing, I wonder if we might send him overseas or if we just wait until the AHL season starts up and send him to the AHL club?

I suspect most of the Euro clubs are pretty full as there are limitations on how many players can be on a team that have NHL contracts (at least in some of the leagues). He probably will have to wait until NHL/AHL camps.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The RHD depth is shallow. Couldn’t have picked a better time to turn pro. Hopefully Manson can turn him into a useful pro

Hopefully! Having a seventh rounder develop into a guy who gets just a cup of coffee in the NHL would be a big step in the right direction for our team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Nice to see. I'm really curious to see how he does in the pros. I've been cautiously optimistic about this player for a while now. Might have the tools to be a useful bottom-pair defenseman in the NHL.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Excellent. I never liked him as much as Marino but I also always thought he was a solid prospect. I was worried he'd pull a Marino and refuse to sign.
Same. Given the depth Edmonton has on the blueline coming up I was worried about Kemp as well pulling a Marino. This is pretty big. I think his upside is bigger than what we have seen so far. The other one I am excited for is Kesselring which we have a couple of years to wait though.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Good, I was hoping for this. Players don't get selected to USA U17, U18 and U20 unless they can play, there is tremendous competition for those spots. Competition in the Oiler's organization just got a little stronger. Michael Kesselring needs to be signed next.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Good depth signing. Does not have a Marino upside but everything I have read suggests he could be a 5/6 guy in the NHL
To be fair, Marino didn’t have Marino potential until he turned pro. Kemp is a guy who was the captain of the USNTDP his draft year, represented the US at the u18 and u20 level, and almost made the u20 team a second time as an 18 year old in his D+1. Marino was never even on the radar for any of these teams. Now, what’s happened since Marino turned pro is another thing and I’m not saying that Kemp is going to equal or better that, but I wouldn’t cap him as a bottom pairing type potential personally. He’s got all the tools to make it as a top 4 imo, just a matter of if he can put them together. Really glad they got him signed.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
To be fair, Marino didn’t have Marino potential until he turned pro. Kemp is a guy who was the captain of the USNTDP his draft year, represented the US at the u18 and u20 level, and almost made the u20 team a second time as an 18 year old in his D+1. Marino was never even on the radar for any of these teams. Now, what’s happened since Marino turned pro is another thing and I’m not saying that Kemp is going to equal or better that, but I wouldn’t cap him as a bottom pairing type potential personally. He’s got all the tools to make it as a top 4 imo, just a matter of if he can put them together. Really glad they got him signed.

I have to say it, I was always high on Marino. I thought he had a complete skillset from his first development camp. There's no doubt the lack of offense was a concern but he had no real weaknesses by my eye. He was smart, could skate, big, and was a strong passer. Kemp is a fairly complete package as well but I've never seen him to have the same degree of mobility or passing acumen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Good, I was hoping for this. Players don't get selected to USA U17, U18 and U20 unless they can play, there is tremendous competition for those spots. Competition in the Oiler's organization just got a little stronger. Michael Kesselring needs to be signed next.

I don't think you'll see Kesselring signing for at least another two or three years.

Definitely a guy who needs the development time.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fantastic news. We need more strong defensive defenceman in our system.

Was worried we’d lose him like Marino.

I think he’s got solid bottom pairing PK minute type D man potential with good size and strong leadership skills. Possible top 4 upside if everything comes together right for him.

Happy with this signing I’m a fan of Kemp and what he can bring. Being a right shot helps as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The fact he’s been a leader and captain consistently throughout his career is a promising sign.

Lots of positive reports about his character and leadership, which only matters if you can play and he’s got some ability here and good size

If he can be a Staois type of player that’d be an ideal outcome.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Fantastic news. We need more strong defensive defenceman in our system.

Was worried we’d lose him like Marino.

I think he’s got solid bottom pairing PK minute type D man potential with good size and strong leadership skills. Possible top 4 upside if everything comes together right for him.

Happy with this signing I’m a fan of Kemp and what he can bring. Being a right shot helps as well.

If this was the OBC running management, they would have left Kemp unsigned

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If this was the OBC running management, they would have left Kemp unsigned

The OBC wouldn’t have even bothered to pick up the phone to check in and see how he’s doing. Holland is a man that commands respect of a room and stays plugged in with young players which this team has been lacking for a decade plus before him.

Kemp is a guy that should play some solid minutes in Bakersfield once the AHL is back.

Good on him as well for signing once the Ivy League was cancelled. He’s a guy really didn’t want us to let walk because even though big defensive defenceman aren’t always the sexiest signings, you need guys like that to win and do some heavy lifting in the D zone.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Very good news. This allows the Oilers to pay for his flights/hotels and training as well as hopefully find him somewhere to play. As others have said glad he signed and didn’t pull a Marino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad