Philip Broberg vs Victor Soderstrom

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Broberg is a very wierd player and hard to gauge how he'll do at the next level...
His acceleration and top speed are on point, he needs to work on his edgework kind a bit, his turns aren't realy sharp wich makes him pretty predictable. I don't get why people are question his defensive game, he has a long reach, realy good with his stick, closing the gap and takeaway on boards play. I don't like his puck handling, he loses the puck alot when trying to handling it and seems like his feets are too fast for his hands. His wrister are are slapper are both wicked.

TLDR

Pros:
Elite top speed
great acceleration
great shot
Good defensively
One of the youngest of his draft class.

Cons:
needs better edgework
Predictable
Could be more physical
Feets to fast for his hands
Feels like he tunnels vision sometimes

I feel like if he doesn't fix his cons, he'll be too predictable and easily countered, they'll just force him to to the board and the play will die at the end of the ice.

if he fixes these, He has top pairing potential.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Broberg is a very wierd player and hard to gauge how he'll do at the next level...
His acceleration and top speed are on point, he needs to work on his edgework kind a bit, his turns aren't realy sharp wich makes him pretty predictable. I don't get why people are question his defensive game, he has a long reach, realy good with his stick, closing the gap and takeaway on boards play. I don't like his puck handling, he loses the puck alot when trying to handling it and seems like his feets are too fast for his hands. His wrister are are slapper are both wicked.

TLDR

Pros:
Elite top speed
great acceleration
great shot
Good defensively
One of the youngest of his draft class.

Cons:
needs better edgework
Predictable
Could be more physical
Feets to fast for his hands
Feels like he tunnels vision sometimes

I feel like if he doesn't fix his cons, he'll be too predictable and easily countered, they'll just force him to to the board and the play will die at the end of the ice.

if he fixes these, He has top pairing potential.
He has no IQ

The tools are there, the toolbox defo isn't.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He has no IQ

The tools are there, the toolbox defo isn't.

i do not agree agree that he has no IQ, he understand the game very well, i like his defensive game for a 17 year old kid, i think what you suggest to be no IQ, is the fact that his feets are too fast for his hands, he needs to learn how to use his feet effectively and better edgework and puck skills to be able to execute his IQ

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
i do not agree agree that he has no IQ, he understand the game very well, i like his defensive game for a 17 year old kid, i think what you suggest to be no IQ, is the fact that his feets are too fast for his hands, he needs to learn how to use his feet effectively and better edgework and puck skills to be able to execute his IQ

Agree. Broberg is not a stupid player and he's not a bad prospect. He is however more limited with the puck than he's aware of right now. He could become a rather effective D-man once he starts simplifying his game. It might take a while for him to figure that out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hoping some Swedish fans can help me understand the production levels we are seeing from them currently.

Soderstrom has a goal and three assists for four points in ten games played. 1-3-4 in 10gp. Behind only Nils Lundkqvist for U21 D scoring in the league.

Broberg has 0g 2a 2p in 16gp.

Broberg’s team has scored a lot more goals and won more games than Soderstrom’s team.

So what’s happing here? Is this just a sample size issue? Just snakebit?

Is Broberg a little buried on his team (they’re better than Brynas but still just a middling team in the standings)?

Is Broberg really focusing on his D and Soderstrom is really focussing on his O?

The production so far doesn’t match the scouting reports. So I’m hoping for insight from fans who can actually watch them play.

Thank you!

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hoping some Swedish fans can help me understand the production levels we are seeing from them currently.

Soderstrom has a goal and three assists for four points in ten games played. 1-3-4 in 10gp. Behind only Nils Lundkqvist for U21 D scoring in the league.

Broberg has 0g 2a 2p in 16gp.

Broberg’s team has scored a lot more goals and won more games than Soderstrom’s team.

So what’s happing here? Is this just a sample size issue? Just snakebit?

Is Broberg a little buried on his team (they’re better than Brynas but still just a middling team in the standings)?

Is Broberg really focusing on his D and Soderstrom is really focussing on his O?

The production so far doesn’t match the scouting reports. So I’m hoping for insight from fans who can actually watch them play.

Thank you!

Söderström is playing a lot more minutes on a less impressive defensive core, but being absolutely brilliant. His ice time numbers are incredible for his age, and his point production is also incredibly good. Broberg has been a bit better defensively though, I would say, and he has gotten limited minutes and less offensive opportunity. Broberg has still been playing well but had little opportunity to produce, and 2 points in 16 games is pretty normal for a top prospect as old as Broberg in the SHL, as it is by far and away the third best league in the world. I still think Broberg might have higher offensive upside, but Söderström has a higher floor due to being incredibly composed on the puck and mature in his decision making in possession.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Söderström is playing a lot more minutes on a less impressive defensive core, but being absolutely brilliant. His ice time numbers are incredible for his age, and his point production is also incredibly good. Broberg has been a bit better defensively though, I would say, and he has gotten limited minutes and less offensive opportunity. Broberg has still been playing well but had little opportunity to produce, and 2 points in 16 games is pretty normal for a top prospect as old as Broberg in the SHL, as it is by far and away the third best league in the world. I still think Broberg might have higher offensive upside, but Söderström has a lower floor due to being incredibly composed on the puck and mature in his decision making in possession.
Söderström has a higher floor you mean. ;)

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
I don't think it is clear at all given the stage of their development. What are you basing it on?

Soderstrom just seems like the way smarter player. I highly value Hockey IQ and always worry about the one with all the tools but no tool box.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Soderstrom just seems like the way smarter player. I highly value Hockey IQ and always worry about the one with all the tools but no tool box.

Where have you noticed low IQ with Broberg? I personally think he lacks offensive creativity, but he isn't a low IQ player. I feel like because he's fast, big, and likes to rush up the ice, people automatically assume that he's an all tools and no toolbox player.

Reactions: oilynutz

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
Where have you noticed low IQ with Broberg? I personally think he lacks offensive creativity, but he isn't a low IQ player. I feel like because he's fast, big, and likes to rush up the ice, people automatically assume that he's an all tools and no toolbox player.

With his tools he should be producing more but isn't. I mean look at soderstrom who's clearly outplaying him. Doesn't seem to think the game at the speed he plays it.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
With his tools he should be producing more but isn't. I mean look at soderstrom who's clearly outplaying him. Doesn't seem to think the game at the speed he plays it.

You can't look at his stats and just blame it on low IQ. An 18 year old playing in a mens league (for the first time)'s production largely depends on his usage. Broberg's playing 3rd pairing minutes and gets little to no pp time.

Erik Karlsson had similar numbers to Broberg. Klefbom's numbers were even worse.
OEL didn't even make the SHL in his D+1 year. I'm just saying that if you think that Broberg has 'no toolbox' just because of relatively low stats, you need to rethink your way of analysing players.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Soderstrom has passed Broberg for now but we won't really have a good read for five years or so.

Reactions: Steeler23

lawrence

May 19, 2012
based on wjc viewings, Soderstrom looked better, and it looks like he played more minutes. but won't know in for sure in a few years.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
You can't look at his stats and just blame it on low IQ. An 18 year old playing in a mens league (for the first time)'s production largely depends on his usage. Broberg's playing 3rd pairing minutes and gets little to no pp time.

Erik Karlsson had similar numbers to Broberg. Klefbom's numbers were even worse.
OEL didn't even make the SHL in his D+1 year. I'm just saying that if you think that Broberg has 'no toolbox' just because of relatively low stats, you need to rethink your way of analysing players.
I'm not a fan of his hockey iq but its nothing to do with his stat-line. It just feels like he does a lot of the same, and his game won't suit the NHL level well. There was an earlier post that did a great job explaining this. I agree with some earlier points made about him not being very creative or carrying the puck into traffic a lot. The worrying thing for me is the minimal progress in that in those departments since said posts were made. But your points about production are valid.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like Broberg is the better athlete, Soderstrom the better hockey player( for now). I take the better player, but I can understand the attraction of a big guy who skates like the wind.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Söderström is having the better season for sure, part of it is opportunity, less competition for the D spots with Brynäs vs Skellefteå. Part of it is due to Söderström being further along which isn’t really news, this was the case on draft day, Broberg is a bit of a late bloomer while Söderström has been on the radar for years. Broberg’s allure is the raw tools, not that he’s a near ready player. That being said I think calling Broberg a project, which I’ve seen thrown around, is taking it too far. The guy is 18 and plays in the top 6 for an SHL team that can be argued as having one of the top D groups in the SHL and has let in 11 goals the last seven games making a middle of the road goalie in Lindvall looking like a star goalie. And he looks like he belongs, at least in his own end rookie mistakes be damned, from what I’ve seen.

Still at this point it’s hard to claim anything but Söderström being ahead. Who ends up the best player three or five years from now is however very much up in the air. He’s not that much ahead that you can say with any kind of authority he’s going to end up the better player.

With regards to production Söderström has 6 ES points, Broberg has 5 ES points. PP matters a lot when it comes to production for D.
And I know Broberg has eight more games, though in ESTOI it’s just six minutes more for Broberg since Söderström plays more night in night out(which ofc is a tell in itself).

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
As a Canucks fan, I really like Podkolzin, but I wish we would have taken Soderstrom over him. He just has that maturity and completeness to his game. He is going to be a top pairing D for a long long time.

I think Broberg is not done growing his game by a longshot. Who he will be in the NHL will depend a lot on his own efforts, and Oilers development (once he's in their hands). Very tantalizing prospect that has insane skating for a big man, and not afraid to jump up the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Broberg reminds me of Skjei, which isn’t a bad thing. Big, great skater, defends adequately, can move the puck well enough, but lacks skill/hands to be much of an offensive threat and the hockey IQ is questionable. Skjei is a top four defenseman, but maybe not the style of a player that you take top 10 due to a lack of upside. It won’t be a bad outcome in ten years, but it’s not going to be the type of flashy pick with huge upside.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How does nils Lundkvist compare to these two guys?

Someone please rank: brob/lundy/sod

Upside and/or how they played this season.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
How does nils Lundkvist compare to these two guys?

Someone please rank: brob/lundy/sod

Upside and/or how they played this season.
Soderstrom is the clear #1
Lundkvist is #2
Broberg is #3.

Soderstrom looks solid on both sides. He's comfortable on the puck, his vision and iq stand out and he always seems to make the right choice. He's pretty consistent on the defensive side so I am pretty confident in his potential to be a #1D in the long run.

Lundkvist is a force on the power play and I like his offensive game generally. He's definitely a creative force. I'm not the biggest fan of his defensively, but I do see him improve as time goes on so I think as long as he keeps the improvement going he's fine.

Look I understand what there is to love about Broberg, he's a fast skater and has size. I outlined this in a previous post I made in this thread but there is two major concerns I have, and I will cite the eye test strictly rather than production because thats not the right way to go about it. One he still tends to play into traffic and is pretty predictable. He's not very creative and like I said in my prior post, he hasn't really been improving it either. Usually, I worry less about a prospect's weakness when I see said improvements like I stated with Lundkvist but I haven't seen Broberg improve his weaknesses.

Reactions: slumpy43 and EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad