Speculation: Philadelphia's contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
With the recent signings of TJ Brennan and Carson Twarynski, Philly already has 37 players under contract for next season (This number goes down to 35 if Isaac Ratcliffe and Morgan Frost are sent back to juniors).

Heading into the offseason, this only leaves Philadelphia with 13 to 15 contract spots to sign their own RFAs, UFAs , prospects and acquire players who are currently outside of the organisation

Obviously it's not a major issue but the Flyers might have to make a few moves in order to clear some room.

Maybe a few buyouts or a trade involving a large number of "lesser prospects" (like Toronto did a few years ago) is on the horizon?

Signed (35-37)
Forwards : Giroux, Voracek, Lehtera, Couturier, Simmonds, Weise, Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Rubtsov, Frost*, Vecchione, Ratcliffe*, Laberge, Vorbyov, Bunnaman, Aubé-Kubel, Fazleev, Knight, Bardreau, Carey, Varone, Twarynski

Defence : MacDonald, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Provorov, Sanheim, Friedmann, Myers, Brennan

Goaltenders : Elliott, Neuvirth, Hart
*Junior eligible

RFAs (10)
Forwards : Leier, Martel, Goulbourne
Defence : Hagg, Morin, Wilcox
Goaltenders : Mrazek, Lyon, Stolarz, Muse

Unsigned prospects with expiring rights (3)
F - Anthony Salinitri (OHL),
D - Terrance Amorossa (NCAA), David Drake (NCAA)

Other prospects (AHL-ready?)
F : Tanner Laczynski (NCAA), Cooper Marody (NCAA), David Kase (SHL), Wade Allison (NCAA)
D : David Bernhardt (SHL), Linus Hogberg (SHL), Valeri Vasiliev (KHL), Wyatt Kalynuk (NCAA)

UFAs : Filppula, Read, Manning, Oduya, Tokarski, Colin McDonald, Will O'Neill

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think they are fine. I would not expect any of the UFAs back. RFA F's probably all 3 are signed. Wilcox on D is borderline. At least 2 of the goalies won't be back.

How many prospects they sign for the AHL will be determined by what RFAs and they sign.

I don't think either Frost of Ratcliffe will stick with the NHL club. Frost has a chance, but is still really small in frame.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
So if the Flyers keep all their signed guys, send Frost and Ratcliffe back and sign all their RFA's (which they likely won't, but we can say so for now) they have 45 out of 50 slots used.

So the issue is only having 5 spaces and more likely 7-8?

Last edited by a moderator:

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
...Talk about a non-issue thread.

What's your solution to this problem? I don't get it.

Being close to the 50-contract limit as hampered to a certain degree the Leafs' ability to make some trades or sign their own prospects for the past 2-3 years.

We've also recently seen quite a few NCAA players who decided to become UFAs instead of signing with the team that drafted them because they felt that they have a better chance to crack a NHL roster elsewhere.

Also I said above it's not a major problem but it can create minors issues if it's not solved.

Maybe it'll force the Hextall's hand to buyout a few players or to let a few RFAs they would have re-signed otherwise.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
So if the Flyers keep all their signed guys, send Frost and Ratcliffe back and sign all their RFA's (which they likely won't, but we can say so for now) they have 45 out of 50 slots used.

So the issue is only having 5 spaces and more likely 7-8?

35-37 + 10 + 3 = 48-50

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
35-37 + 10 + 3 = 48-50

It will be 35, not 37, due to the slide of Frost and Ratcliffe If Frost really blows the doors off we would need to make a move to fit him onto the roster, let alone the contract limit.

I really doubt we're signing any of those 3 prospects with expiring rights.

We're definitely not signing all of those 10 RFA's. Muse was an emergency. Lyon is likely displaced by Hart. We *might* keep him to let him battle with Stolarz, but I doubt it. So 8, maybe 9 even if we bring back all of the F and D.

Worst case scenario we start with the season with 47 contracts and even that is high. It's fine.

Reactions: Booba

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why is this in the main boards? It should be moved to the Flyers board and discussed there.

Regardless, they will be fine. They can make a trade or 2 if they need to....just like they traded Cousins last year for a pick. Leier is a guy I expect to get moved.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
None of those UFAs will be back. Maybe read, but even that's ublikely. Ratcliffe probably doesn't make the team. Likewise most of those RFAs.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. None of the players we stand to lose because we don't resign make any of the core players available, so there'll be no "lol Giroux for a 2nd (we already did that last summer, thanks)" type deals. We let players like Goulbourne, Martel, and everyone of those unsigned prospects walk.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
None of those UFAs will be back. Maybe read, but even that's ublikely. Ratcliffe probably doesn't make the team. Likewise most of those RFAs.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. None of the players we stand to lose because we don't resign make any of the core players available, so there'll be no "lol Giroux for a 2nd (we already did that last summer, thanks)" type deals. We let players like Goulbourne, Martel, and everyone of those unsigned prospects walk.
Not sure why this thread isn't on Flyer board, does not belong here. Besides these suggestions, I doubt Weise is back - dealt or bought out. Hexy can deal a couple AHL pieces anytime too. Not an issue at all.

Reactions: Tripod

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Really, not sure of the issue here either. Unless it's a cap issue from having to many signed players? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad