OT: Philadelphia Phillies: We Still Have A Guy Named MacPhail In The Front Office...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Can someone explain to me why Rolen is surging in HOF voting? It doesn't seem like his tangible stats or his advanced stats really come close and I don't ever remember watching him and thinking he would be a HOFer.
In ten seasons from 1997 to 2006, in 5800 plate appearances he had a slash line of .286/.376/.518 and an OPS+ of 130(100 is average). So putting up that production at the plate while being great defensively will get you votes.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
i

CC Sabathia's battle with alcoholism came into the public spotlight in 2015, when he left the Yankees in early October to go to rehab. CC Sabathia and the painful but all-too-relatable path to sobriety

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I've always thought - and basically known - that being a Cardinals fan is the cushiest and easiest thing in the world of fandom. Their fanbase is pretty easily the most sensible and steady in the world, I can attest to that. They don't go too long (relatively speaking) without titles. They go out and do things that make sense more often than not. They develop prospects. They typically have good coaching and management. They are the opposite of the Flyers. I don't know how much the below will ultimately matter, but it would be typical of them to kill a move like this.

Any Phillies fan old enough to remember 1964 hates the Cardinals. Even if you're not old enough, just on principle. Although they did give us Lefty.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You say that like it's an afterthought lol.

Seeing as how my earliest sports related memory is the '64 Phillies, it kind of is. I mean, that really scarred me for life. And the "funny" thing is, in 2007, the season of the Mets historic collapse, I was living in DC and used to go to a sports bar near me to watch games. So the last Friday night of the season (I remember) I'm walking out of my building to head to the bar, wearing a Phillies cap, and I see a guy with a little boy coming towards me. And suddenly the kid looks at me and kind of screeches and hides behind his dad. As we get closer I see the guy is wearing a Mets hat and I realize that the kid is me, the Mets are the '64 Phillies and the Phillies are the '64 Cardinals. Felt good. Felt real good.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In ten seasons from 1997 to 2006, in 5800 plate appearances he had a slash line of .286/.376/.518 and an OPS+ of 130(100 is average). So putting up that production at the plate while being great defensively will get you votes.
I'm still not seeing that. The defense yeah he was awesome no argument there, but those offensive stats are not HOF worthy, even if his OPS+ is above average during his peak years. If you look at those stats none of them with the exception of 2-3 of those seasons really jump out as anything special and even with that it isn't like they are spectacular (outside of 2004, a year in which he wasn't even the best 3B from an offensive perspective). I don't know if you are arguing for him to get into the HOF or if you are just pointing it out, but I just don't see it for him and I hope he doesn't get in.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 1.32.59 PM.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm still not seeing that. The defense yeah he was awesome no argument there, but those offensive stats are not HOF worthy, even if his OPS+ is above average during his peak years. If you look at those stats none of them with the exception of 2-3 of those seasons really jump out as anything special and even with that it isn't like they are spectacular (outside of 2004, a year in which he wasn't even the best 3B from an offensive perspective). I don't know if you are arguing for him to get into the HOF or if you are just pointing it out, but I just don't see it for him and I hope he doesn't get in.

View attachment 389984

He's basically the average HOF 3B from an fWAR standpoint. He's 10th in career fWAR among 3B. Offensively, he's pretty closely equated to Beltre with a few years chopped off. He's also 9th in career OPS+ for 3B, but he doesn't have huge spikes except for the end when he dropped off a cliff instead of a more normal decline. It's just a consistently very good bat plus the stellar glove.

For clarity, he's the type I'm fine with getting in and I'm also fine with not. But he has a decent case as a longevity candidate by current standards.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you understand why it's impossible for PEDs to help a pitcher throw harder, welcome to the show. :)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You'd figure a decent return with all of those conditions. He wasn't very good last year but he had a 10% K rate and the defense is still probably good, so could have been a bad two months. Arenado is a .793 OPS guy away from Coors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've always thought - and basically known - that being a Cardinals fan is the cushiest and easiest thing in the world of fandom. Their fanbase is pretty easily the most sensible and steady in the world, I can attest to that. They don't go too long (relatively speaking) without titles. They go out and do things that make sense more often than not. They develop prospects. They typically have good coaching and management. They are the opposite of the Flyers. I don't know how much the below will ultimately matter, but it would be typical of them to kill a move like this.

Yeah and all of this really pisses me the f*** off.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyersLeClair10

Jan 30, 2021
Bonds and Clemens were HOFer before the steroid usage imo. It shouldn't prevent them from getting in. Schilling is an a-hole but his numbers are worth getting in. The 16 clowns that submitted an empty ballot should be stripped of it going forward.

Curt Schilling should have been a unanimous decision to be enshrined he dominated the AL and NL in the steroid era.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
i

"San Francisco Giants outfielder Drew Robinson's remarkable second act

ON APRIL 16, 2020, Drew Robinson woke up, spread peanut butter on a cinnamon-raisin bagel, pulsed a green smoothie, sat at his kitchen table and finished writing a note that would explain to his family and friends why he had decided to end his life. He had spent the past month alone in his house, confined by the pandemic and quarantined in his own mind. He hated his life. He hated that no one knew how much he hated his life." 'I'm meant to be alive': How Drew Robinson is learning to live

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Chase Anderson at 4M, wonder if that means Vinny Velo will get moved somehow cause they are now real close to the 210M lux tax.
How these guys like Chase Moore and VV get 4 million per is mind boggling. Who wants VV at 4 million? Cant see any team taking that contract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How these guys like Chase Moore and VV get 4 million per is mind boggling. Who wants VV at 4 million? Cant see any team taking that contract.

true on VV, not a fan and wouldn't have given him a contract as I would rather see them spend the money somewhere else.

Moore, I don't know but some i've talked to think this could be a big steal for 3M, that he could be very good as a 4th say.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
true on VV, not a fan and wouldn't have given him a contract as I would rather see them spend the money somewhere else.

Moore, I don't know but some i've talked to think this could be a big steal for 3M, that he could be very good as a 4th say.
Exactly take all 3 and you have I think close to 12 million tied up. Go get someone who can help instead of a huge maybe they are ok. Even Neris they should have non tendered as not worth 5 million

Yes it may pan out with Moore. Ivan Nova has a better shot than all 3 imo and he is on a minors deal I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->