OT: Philadelphia Phillies: We Still Have A Guy Named MacPhail In The Front Office...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that the Phillies plan to pursue Theo Epstein "aggressively" even though he plans to take a year off.

The Phillies have made no secret of their desire to hire an experienced and winning executive, so there's no better possible fit than Epstein following his exit with the Cubs. However, the question is how firm he is on his desire to take a break before his next act in the game. The Mets are also looking for a new president of baseball operations, though it's unclear if they realistically view Epstein as an option. Both the Mets and Phillies have talked with former Marlins president Michael Hill while New York also hopes to talk to Indians GM Mike Chernoff.

Reactions: Cody Webster

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that the Phillies plan to pursue Theo Epstein "aggressively" even though he plans to take a year off.

The Phillies have made no secret of their desire to hire an experienced and winning executive, so there's no better possible fit than Epstein following his exit with the Cubs. However, the question is how firm he is on his desire to take a break before his next act in the game. The Mets are also looking for a new president of baseball operations, though it's unclear if they realistically view Epstein as an option. Both the Mets and Phillies have talked with former Marlins president Michael Hill while New York also hopes to talk to Indians GM Mike Chernoff.

i think this was the phillies plan all along otherwise they would have hired someone else.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Phillies Top Ten from BA,

1.Spencer Howard
2.Mick Abel
3.Bryson Stott
4.Francisco Morales
5.Rafael Marchan
6.Luis Garcia
7.Yhoswar Garcia
8.Simon Muzziotti
9.Johan Rojas
10.Nick Maton

surprised they had Muzziotti and Maton so high. Going to need to hit on some arms as maybe they get lucky on someone like Eric Miller, Damon Jones, Lindow, etc...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sleeper prospect to watch is Logan Simmons, HS SS who'll probably move to 3B as he fills out, start showing his raw power then lost last season, but someone to watch.

The Phillies biggest problem has been a farm system that simply doesn't produce talent, hopefully Klentak's moves to upgrade coaching and scouting will pay off in the future, but it's also why it's key to hire a President who understands the importance of scouting and development - and will build long-term instead of "win now" moves like trading Sixto for JT.

You should hit on most of your 1st rd picks, but it's finding guys down the draft and in LA that makes the difference, which is why players like Luis and Yhoswar Garcia, Morales, Medina, Simmons, Baylor, Pipkin, Ben Brown, etc. matter - you're gonna miss on most of them, but the Phillies have been missing on almost ALL of them.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so they protected Morales, Jones, Maton, Dohy, Muzziotti and Falter.

Morales has a lot of hype, have seen him and liked what I saw as long as he can get his control down and work on his secondary pitches.

Jones they might have something as the LHP out of the pen, walks really hurt him but if he can ever get that figured out maybe they could move him back to the rotation.

Dohy is one of those LHP that when he's on he can be lights out but most of the time he's not on and thus too wild.

Maton can play most positions

Muzziotti I don't know that well since I don't get to see the Clearwater guys, had there been a minor league season I would have gotten to know him in Reading since that's the farm team I usually watch the most.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Acknowledging the sunk cost, letting JT walk is probably the right call...if you are reallocating that money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad