OT: Philadelphia Phillies Spring Training: Bryce-Man Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
When I would ref hockey I would hate doing teenager games. The best were the real young kids or the lower tier beer leaguers. The overall vibe from everybody would not be like it’s game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Teenagers are the worst, I hated them when I was a teenager haha. We all remember high school/college pickup games and the kids that took it way too seriously.

I used to love playing against this one kid who was a friend of a friend. He was like 18, played deck hockey, and thought he was in the OHL trying to get drafted.

The first game we ever played I just remember him flipping out on me because I never used the boards, and I'm like dude I'm sorry we didn't have boards in South West Philly, we had like 4 sticks, half a net and the occasional crack head. Relax, we're just out here dicking around....he did not like this. So from that point on I just busted his balls relentlessly, and made sure I wasn't on his team so I could hound the shit out of him, which pissed him off wayyyy more because I was so laid back with everyone else.

I wish I could get paid for being an asshole.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
As I said clearly, this is when I speak up, when players are being injured and nothing is being called. Bad calls happen, I'll bring it to their attention and we move on. But when I have players coming back to the bench bleeding because they are being spiked on purpose, we have to say something.
Saying something is fine, but "almost getting into fights" really isn't. What does that even accomplish other than teaching the kids that this is how to behave? My son isn't old enough yet to play organized sports but I can tell you if he was on a team where the coach was regularly almost getting into fights with referees I would be looking to get him on another team.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
May I suggest we all take a deep breath here? No one is endorsing the stage mom/"toddlers in tiaras"/etc. approach to child rearing. And based on his posts I doubt heisenberg is going all "White Goodman" on the refs - he seems a reasonable person. I for one agreed that the refs should primarily be looking to keep the kids safe, and if they consistently miss dangerous plays, calling them out is appropriate and necessary. I would hope that we all agree that doing so in a mature and appropriate manner is also critical to protecting the kids and giving them a healthy sense of competition and a lesson in sportsmanship.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
some of those are interesting...

The Roster expansion from 25 to 26 is big.

Having a Cap of a number of pitchers on a roster will be interesting.

September roster that normally is 40 is now 28. So resting your stars will be tough.

Having a relief pitcher facing a minimum of 3 batters will be interesting. That will eliminate lefty vs righty after 1 out.

Reactions: trostol

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I like the changes.

In practice the 3-batter minimum won't be too drastic a change, IMO. You'll still have plenty of spots where a guy will come in with 2 outs and retire just one batter. It'll cut down enough on the more absurd switches.

They should probably amend the rule so that you can take a guy out if he fails to retire the first two batters he sees though.

Max number of pitchers is a bigger deal IMO.

If they expand the rosters to 26 and make it a max 12 pitchers, it'll bring back more platoon players, 3rd catchers and pure pinch hitters.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I like the changes.

In practice the 3-batter minimum won't be too drastic a change, IMO. You'll still have plenty of spots where a guy will come in with 2 outs and retire just one batter. It'll cut down enough on the more absurd switches.

They should probably amend the rule so that you can take a guy out if he fails to retire the first two batters he sees though.

Max number of pitchers is a bigger deal IMO.

If they expand the rosters to 26 and make it a max 12 pitchers, it'll bring back more platoon players, 3rd catchers and pure pinch hitters.

Also the Trade deadline is now 7/31 and that now eliminates any August trades. The wavier wire is still allowed but you can't make a trade if a player clears waivers.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Fanatics/MLB Shop strike again.

Ordered my Harper Authentic the night before it was officially announced that he'd wear #3.

Just received it today. The size I got isn't the one I ordered and it's also not even a size that they sell on the website, but it's close. It also had the MLB 150th Patch on it so i'm not exactly mad at that but way to send me the wrong size.

Also, I guess they went to kiss cut numbers or MLB Shop/Fanatics just got cheap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
18 year old SS Luis Garcia in the lineup today vs Pittsburgh.

Kid to keep an eye on this summer, think he'll start at Lakewood, tore up the GCL at 17, isn't the free swinger like many LA players, Phillies seem to be focusing more on plate discipline there because it's hard to teach once bad habits are set. If Garcia can fill out and add strength without slowing down, he could be in Philly by 2022 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad