OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pronunciation Class With Bryce Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wheeler is just killing it this year. But man does this team have some terrible luck when it comes to signing/trading arms for the pen. They sign David Roberston, who at the time was doing great and no almost no injury problems, pitches for 5 minutes, never to be seen again. They get Workman who was really good but not having the best year, he was terrible. They get Phelps who was having a great year and he was terrible. This year they sign Bradley who had a great year, so far he sucks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Between Kintzler and Joyce, I’m not sure why they thought adding two of the worst players from the Marlins was a smart idea.

Joyce is completely useless and Kintzler is making decent coin.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Where the Vinny haters at?
If you look at his BABIP it is ridiculously low at like .225, his LOB numbers are over 90%. His ERA is under 3.00 but his FIP is well over 4.00

i know many dont like "advanced stats", but that all points to very lucky. The balls hit against him are not turning into many hits. The batters who reach rarely score.

In a normal season early numbers looking like that would predict a forthcoming rough patch as the luck wears off... But I also dont know for sure how much is also impacted by the deadened baseball this year either.

Reactions: montreal

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If you look at his BABIP it is ridiculously low at like .225, his LOB numbers are over 90%. His ERA is under 3.00 but his FIP is well over 4.00

i know many dont like "advanced stats", but that all points to very lucky. The balls hit against him are not turning into many hits. The batters who reach rarely score.

In a normal season early numbers looking like that would predict a forthcoming rough patch as the luck wears off... But I also dont know for sure how much is also impacted by the deadened baseball this year either.
I was mostly being facetious. He'll blow up eventually, but he does have a career high GB rate and the career high strikeout rate is holding from last season. The walk rate is in dangerous territory though.

In similar news it looks like Pivetta is figuring things out. Cole Irvin also. Although that is not really surprising. Every replacement level player Oakland touches turns into something.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I was mostly being facetious. He'll blow up eventually, but he does have a career high GB rate and the career high strikeout rate is holding from last season. The walk rate is in dangerous territory though.

In similar news it looks like Pivetta is figuring things out. Cole Irvin also. Although that is not really surprising. Every replacement level player Oakland touches turns into something.
Pivetta had good stuff, but was just too inconsistent. The only thing about his numbers this year that look alarming is his FB/HR rate is EXCEPTIONALLY low. I think his career would be around 15-18%. This year that number so far is under 7%. Which similar to what I said about Velasquez may be aided by the deadened ball. So at least for the rest of this year Pivetta may well have a very good season.

Irvin has a bit more fringier stuff so not sure how to react to him.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Pivetta had good stuff, but was just too inconsistent. The only thing about his numbers this year that look alarming is his FB/HR rate is EXCEPTIONALLY low. I think his career would be around 15-18%. This year that number so far is under 7%. Which similar to what I said about Velasquez may be aided by the deadened ball. So at least for the rest of this year Pivetta may well have a very good season.

Irvin has a bit more fringier stuff so not sure how to react to him.
Yeah Pivetta is getting some luck in that regard, he's also holding opponents to a .203 average, which seems to clearly indicate he figured something out. The data isn't drastically different, but he's up two ticks on his fastball and he's throwing his slider more and ditched the changeup. Pivetta's problems, not unlike VV, seemed to be from the neck up. He would fall apart at the slightest sign of trouble.

Irvin is in the Tommy Milone-mold. Below average stuff with great command/control. Milone had his best years with Oakland also. I don't think he'll be much more than a fringey backend starter type, but the Phillies could use one of those guys. Why they DFA'd a guy like Irvin for David Hale I have no idea. They are paying 7+ mill for Moore and Anderson and getting nothing for it.

Reactions: DancingPanther

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
How does one of the most arrogant and vindictive umpires in baseball end up setting the record for most career games ump? I felt baseball would have been better off getting rid of Joe West at least 20 years ago.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
How does one of the most arrogant and vindictive umpires in baseball end up setting the record for most career games ump? I felt baseball would have been better off getting rid of Joe West at least 20 years ago.

Maybe because the MLB Umpire's union is probably even stronger than police unions :D

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah Pivetta is getting some luck in that regard, he's also holding opponents to a .203 average, which seems to clearly indicate he figured something out. The data isn't drastically different, but he's up two ticks on his fastball and he's throwing his slider more and ditched the changeup. Pivetta's problems, not unlike VV, seemed to be from the neck up. He would fall apart at the slightest sign of trouble.

Irvin is in the Tommy Milone-mold. Below average stuff with great command/control. Milone had his best years with Oakland also. I don't think he'll be much more than a fringey backend starter type, but the Phillies could use one of those guys. Why they DFA'd a guy like Irvin for David Hale I have no idea. They are paying 7+ mill for Moore and Anderson and getting nothing for it.
The Irvin move was wild to me

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
DFAing Irvin in a vacuum is fine, but when you are doing so to hang on to a journeyman long reliever (among others), it’s not. It’s like waiving Friedman to make room for Prosser.
Exactly. And he was under team control for years. Why not just keep him as a AAAA bullpen piece on the cheap? Just doesn't make sense to me. Is he really that much worse (are other journeymen that much better?) than the alternative?

Just another L the Phils take at the end of the day. Add it to the pile

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
First and third...no outs. Bases loaded and one out and the only run they get that inning is on a bases loaded walk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->