OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pitchers And Catchers Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The chances that a team could both have both the highest walk rate and lowest strikeout rate in the league without a competitive advantage seems unlikely. They had the lowest K-rate in 2017 and 2019 and had the second lowest in 2018.

They went from a K-rate of 23.4 in 2016 to 17.3 in 2017.
While, if I remember hearing this right, a) strikeouts rose reague wide and b) every other team struck out more than the previous year

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I am really not sure if I would take the title away. I think everyone knows it is BS at this point anyway.

I had an interesting conversation about the ripple effect of all of this, from the fringe guys who likely lost their jobs because of getting hit up, to even a guy like Aaron Judge not winning MVP over Altuve. Dodgers legacy completely changed.

MLB can't just punish people. They need to outlaw video during games. If I am not mistaken this originally started from watching a game feed on a tablet, no? Kinda like how they have the feed on the benches in the NHL.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
While, if I remember hearing this right, a) strikeouts rose reague wide and b) every other team struck out more than the previous year
I get how this would affect the hitting, and it isn't as if the Astros team was a group of scrubs that suddenly got gud. They were loaded, but the results seem undeniable that it played a major role.

I do still wonder how they pitched like that though. Their staffs those years were absolutely loaded, and it wasn't just trading for Greinke, Verlander, and Cole. They had guys like Morton throwing the best stuff of their lives. Top pitching prospects galore and bullpen depth out the ass.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
McDowell: La Russa put in sign-stealing system

"We had a system in the old Comiskey Park in the late 1980s,"Jack McDowell, who coaches at Queens University, told the radio station Friday. "The Gatorade sign out in center had a light; there was a toggle switch in the manager's office and [a] camera zoomed in on the catcher.

"I'm gonna whistle-blow this now because I'm getting tired of this crap. There was that -- Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. ... He's still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It's just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook."

McDowell alleged in the radio interview that the next day's starting pitcher would sit in the manager's office, watch the catcher's signals and would alert White Sox batters with the light in the Gatorade sign.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Paging Vince McMahon. Mr. McMahon you are needing in the production meeting.
It is time for the baseball I have waited for since I was a kid.

220px-NEOGEO_Super_Baseball_2020_%282020_Super_Baseball%29.png

Hell it IS 2020. I want my robot ballplayers and forcefield fences.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
It is time for the baseball I have waited for since I was a kid.

220px-NEOGEO_Super_Baseball_2020_%282020_Super_Baseball%29.png

Hell it IS 2020. I want my robot ballplayers and forcefield fences.

Football will go this way first..then we will have robot activists claiming its inhuman to do that to robots

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yup..clearly the Phillies have a really bad one
Haha, this is what they were saying on WIP this morning. Every team is definitely doing this just in different ways. I honestly never thought it was this ridiculous with all the different integrations of different technologies, but they're all doing it. Some are just better than others at it. They got caught and should suffer consequences, but I don't think we should pretend that the Astros (and maybe Red Sox) are the only ones doing it.

Reactions: trostol

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think it's generally ridiculous to ban people for things that everyone knew about. Basically everyone in every game in baseball history has been trying to steal signs. When the game becomes so highly competitive that the difference between hitting .300 and .330 becomes $50M over the course of a contract, then of course people are going to try to get every advantage.

Anyway, the simple solution is to mic up all the players. The pitcher and catcher should have electronic communication. It's quaint and idyllic that they still flash fingers to signal pitches, and Lord knows baseball people insist on quaintness. But yeah, welcome to the 21st century. Have the third base coach and everyone with a batting helmet have another set.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Nolan not happy with current situation

DENVER -- Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenadomade it clear Monday he’s unhappy with the club.

After general manager Jeff Bridich told the Denver Post that he expected to begin 2020 “with Nolan in the purple and black and as our third baseman. So we can put this to bed …,” Arenado reacted via text to MLB.com.

“There’s a lot of disrespect from people there that I don’t want to be a part of,”

Arenado said in a text. “You can quote that.”

In reaction to Bridich’s announcement, Arenado elaborated.

“You ask what I thought of Jeff’s quotes and I say I don’t care what people say around there,” Arenado said. “There is a lot of disrespect.”

Asked what was said that he found particularly disrespectful, Arenado said, "No. I won't get into the details."

Gee, it’s almost like doing this to your face of the franchise and expecting him to be fine with it isn’t a good idea...

Reactions: SnS

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'd be all rah rah for Klentak to go get him but he'd screw it up

I'm not sure I would want him to go for it as the cost would be steep and his numbers away from Coors field would have me worried to pay so much and then there's the opt out in his contract. If they can get him without giving up Howard then it at least is something to consider.

Reactions: trostol

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Cheating with technology in baseball and drug enhanced players getting you down?

Well we can always teleport back to baseball’s golden age of the 1920s and 30s. Then all we’d have to deal with would be strictly enforced racism, alcoholism running rampant and players careers being totally controlled by the owners from start to finish. OTOH, Connie Mack was a snazzy dresser and least games were over by dinner time.

Baseball has been a sport ruled by tyrants and played by cheaters and thugs from day one. Not sure why anyone is surprised to see it still going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->