OT: Philadelphia Phillies off season: At Last... My Bryce Has Come Along (13 Year/$330M Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
My 2 cents:

This is a great, and smart signing for both parties. For Harper he gets the guarantee, as long as wants it, to be able to finish his career in Philly and build a real and special legacy for himself. For the Phils, they get a major boost for marketing and it's already paying off in ticket sales and merchandise. Plus, by keeping the yearly salary at a reasonable, well at least reasonable for a superstar like Harper, 25 million and change per year, it will allow them to go after a guy like Trout who will likely cost more, but will probably be looking to sign with Philly in the first place.

On the pure baseball side of things, the Phillies get a 26 year old MVP candidate who delivers quality at-bats, great OBP, and power from the left side which is something their lineup sorely needs. This signing gives them, arguably, the best 1-8 lineup in the NL. If they can go on and sign Trout in 2 years, their lineup will be downright scary.

For the first time since oh, I guess early season 2013, I'm excited about Phillies baseball. WELL DONE!!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio:

"They're gonna sign Trout in two years, by the way. Harper and Trout have been texting back and forth throughout this process. Harper reached out to Trout to ask him about the City of Philadelphia. Mike Trout and Harper are gonna be on this team in two years."

Will-Ferrell-Happy-Excited.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio:

"They're gonna sign Trout in two years, by the way. Harper and Trout have been texting back and forth throughout this process. Harper reached out to Trout to ask him about the City of Philadelphia. Mike Trout and Harper are gonna be on this team in two years."

Will-Ferrell-Happy-Excited.gif
Let's just say I'm not psyching myself up just yet.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is one of those scenarios where even MLB The Show would tell you to f*** off if you tried to make it work in game.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
That’s why the whole idea of bandwagon fans in someone’s own city is stupid.

Excuse me for not blowing my money to watch Dave Hakstol while I can’t go watch the eagles try to win a Super Bowl.

Bandwagon fans are people who don't follow the team unless they're good. It's not the same as not going to the games, especially once you're past your early 20's and have a house, car, student loans, kids etc. You're 100% right, there's no way in hell people should be spending there money to go watch a putrid team. Doesn't make you a "bandwagon" fan.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Bandwagon fans are people who don't follow the team unless they're good. It's not the same as not going to the games, especially once you're past your early 20's and have a house, car, student loans, kids etc. You're 100% right, there's no way in hell people should be spending there money to go watch a putrid team. Doesn't make you a "bandwagon" fan.

This. Throwing away your hard earned money on a team going nowhere and either deliberately or ineptly losing doesn't make you more of a "real fan"

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If Trout were hypothetically to quietly ask for a trade here, could it happen?

If he wants out and only wants to go one place, the Angels theoretically have no leverage right?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My 2 cents:

This is a great, and smart signing for both parties. For Harper he gets the guarantee, as long as wants it, to be able to finish his career in Philly and build a real and special legacy for himself. For the Phils, they get a major boost for marketing and it's already paying off in ticket sales and merchandise. Plus, by keeping the yearly salary at a reasonable, well at least reasonable for a superstar like Harper, 25 million and change per year, it will allow them to go after a guy like Trout who will likely cost more, but will probably be looking to sign with Philly in the first place.

On the pure baseball side of things, the Phillies get a 26 year old MVP candidate who delivers quality at-bats, great OBP, and power from the left side which is something their lineup sorely needs. This signing gives them, arguably, the best 1-8 lineup in the NL. If they can go on and sign Trout in 2 years, their lineup will be downright scary.

For the first time since oh, I guess early season 2013, I'm excited about Phillies baseball. WELL DONE!!

The Dodgers have a pretty strong lineup.

It’s also notable that the Nats still have a strong offense even with Harper’s departure. Soto is a stud and Robles is a starter this season. Harper might’ve been their 3rd best hitter last season after Rendon and Soto.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The Dodgers have a pretty strong lineup.

It’s also notable that the Nats still have a strong offense even with Harper’s departure. Soto is a stud and Robles is a starter this season. Harper might’ve been their 3rd best hitter last season after Rendon and Soto.
Maybe, but I'll still put Harper/Realmuto/Hoskins/Segura against them.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Plus you still have McCutcheon who is still a pretty good hitter and works a lot of deep counts in your top 6 and, as long as he's healthy, Hernandez is a solid leadoff man. Franco and Herrera have their flaws, but you could do a lot worse if they are your 7/8 hitters.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This. Throwing away your hard earned money on a team going nowhere and either deliberately or ineptly losing doesn't make you more of a "real fan"
That's not the point. The point isn't that "real fans" are or aren't going to games. The point is that fans who don't really care about the team or know anything about the team/sport ARE going to the games. That is where the bandwagon fan argument comes in to play. If someone in Washington says Philly has a bunch of bandwagon fans, I agree. When the team isn't good no one talks about, cares about, or goes to games. When they are good the stadium is filled with people that don't actually care about the team other than saying "yeah I like the Phillies" or "I was at the last night and got hammered!" You don't see that with Flyers or Eagles. Pretty much around the clock not only are the stadiums filled, but most people can carry on a conversation about the team. Of course there are always going to be people there who are just there to go to a game or have a night out, but when you see someone in a Flyers or Eagles shirt (at the stadium or otherwise), whether the team is good or bad you can talk to them about the team, upcoming games, past games, trades, etc. That isn't the case with Phillies when they are good. Hence, the idea that Philly has bandwagon fans. I mean are we really going to dispute that? I know Philly is a big sports town and we all like to think we are better than other areas (and hell, I agree with that too), but to pretend like the Phillies don't have a bandwagon fan base is silly. Where was everyone from like 1995-2005 and where have they gone since 2012?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think you have it backwards.

Bandwagon fans are those who follow a team because they're good. - Basically they're mercenary fans who only follow winners.

Fair-weather fans are those who only follow a team when its good. - They're fans who stick to one team but let their fandom go into hibernation when the team sucks.

Reactions: phlflyer1

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I lot of pundits seem to think that Harper will hit 2nd, but I don't like him in that spot, my lineup would be
1. Hernandez 2B
2. Segura SS
3. Harper LF
4. Hoskins 1B
5. Realmuto C
6. McCutcheon RF
7. Franco 3B
8. Herrera CF

That will not be a fun lineup for MLB pitchers to face, especially at Citizens Bank Park.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I lot of pundits seem to think that Harper will hit 2nd, but I don't like him in that spot, my lineup would be
1. Hernandez 2B
2. Segura SS
3. Harper LF
4. Hoskins 1B
5. Realmuto C
6. McCutcheon RF
7. Franco 3B
8. Herrera CF

That will not be a fun lineup for MLB pitchers to face, especially at Citizens Bank Park.

Probably top down one of the best hitting line ups the Phillies have had in a really long time.

Reactions: BiggE

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I mean Jimmy Rollins was kind of right, the majority of the city is bandwagoners...

Oh, and where were the Nats fans years ago? More Phillies fans attended games in DC then national fans.

Also, why did the 1st DC team leave? Because the fans blew major donkey D*&*.

The way I see if we support all the teams when they are struggling and continue to do dumb things fans have a right to not watch, yes that has the appearance of bandwagon front running fans. However, I see it as an AWAKENING MOMENT.

The point of not going to the games during horrible years is to AWAKEN an Owner to change what he is doing.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The absolute last place on earth that should be accusing Philadelphia of having bandwagon fans is DC.
LOL, ain't that the truth. Used to go down there in the early and mid 80s for Flyers games and never had a problem buying good seats right at the door. The crowd was typically at least 25% Flyer fans and in the mid 80s, the Caps had a good team. Older fans used to tell me about going down there in the late 70s when there were more Flyer fans than Caps fans in the seats.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad