OT: Philadelphia Phillies off season: At Last... My Bryce Has Come Along (13 Year/$330M Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Ken Rosenthal on MLB Network Right now on Hot Stove, talking about the Phillies.

They sold over 100,000 tickets since Harper has signed.

Rosenthal now is reporting

Giants offered 310 over 12 years

Dodgers offered 3 yr deal at 45m per year with opt-outs.

CA Taxes are more than PA.

Harper would be paying in CA Taxes alone not including Federal or local about 45m.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Deals of this magnitude take so much more consideration than just years and dollars.

If Harper wants to be in the HOF, playing in a friendly ball park 50% of the time will help, along with the overall team quality, minor league depth, commitment to winning, and like you said taxes.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Harper every time he steps to the plate will make 44,929 on each plate appearance.

The Philadelphia Median household income is 41,526.

By the time Harper Contract is up after 2031 season

Bobby Bonilla will still be getting paid for 4 more years.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not salty at all, just writing what I see.

The Yankees signed their centerfielder for 10 million per for seven seasons, there's no room for Harper in the Yankee outfield. Hicks had a much higher WAR last season than Harper and the last two seasons were relatively equal, Harper 8.4 to Hicks 8.3 . That's value.
Hicks was going to be 30 if he hit the market. Big difference. And he doesn’t have the most extensive track record.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ooooh another new spin wrinkle today

There are no real Philly fans, they're only bandwagoners.... Yes, this has been told to me from multiple Nats fans

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ooooh another new spin wrinkle today

There are no real Philly fans, they're only bandwagoners.... Yes, this has been told to me from multiple Nats fans
I mean, I will say, there are a TON of bandwagon Phillies fans. Before really 2007ish no one was really a Phillies fan. Pretty empty stadiums, little news coverage, and no one really talked about the Phillies. Then mid 2000s come along and the team gets good and all the sudden everyone is a Phillies fan, but still don't really "follow" baseball they just go to games to say they went to games. The crowd on HFB has plenty of real Phillies fans, but the droves of college bros that go to games just to get hammered probably couldn't name anyone on the team the last few years except Aaron Nola. Yeah I may sound like a cynical old man because I was always the weird guy talking baseball when everyone else wanted to talk hockey or football, then all the sudden I start seeing people wearing Phillies hats and stuff to bars but no one can actually hold a conversation about the team other than say like, "Man...Ryan Howard! Big Piece!" /rant

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean Jimmy Rollins was kind of right, the majority of the city is bandwagoners...
Ehh I disagree. If we were such bandwagoners, attendance would have plummeted during the Eagles and Flyers down years, but that really didn't happen. We just turn our backs when ownership and management make it explicitly clear they have no intentions to compete, like what happened with the Sixers during the Hinkie years and what happened with the Phils since 2012.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mean, I will say, there are a TON of bandwagon Phillies fans. Before really 2007ish no one was really a Phillies fan. Pretty empty stadiums, little news coverage, and no one really talked about the Phillies. Then mid 2000s come along and the team gets good and all the sudden everyone is a Phillies fan, but still don't really "follow" baseball they just go to games to say they went to games. The crowd on HFB has plenty of real Phillies fans, but the droves of college bros that go to games just to get hammered probably couldn't name anyone on the team the last few years except Aaron Nola. Yeah I may sound like a cynical old man because I was always the weird guy talking baseball when everyone else wanted to talk hockey or football, then all the sudden I start seeing people wearing Phillies hats and stuff to bars but no one can actually hold a conversation about the team other than say like, "Man...Ryan Howard! Big Piece!" /rant

I disagree with this sentiment. CBP was a huge part of generating excitemet for the phillies. But even in the vet there were those fan clubs that were a grass roots movement to build up excitement for the club. Padilla's flotilla's, Wolf Pack, Duck Pond, Robert Person's Persons. Shit was hilarious and awesome and got regular coverage on espn.

But baseball is the hardest sport to follow for a team that sucks, most baseball fans are bandwagon fans. There is nothing like spending a weeknight at a stadium for a 100 loss club. I can literally think of 100 better things to do in life.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ehh I disagree. If we were such bandwagoners, attendance would have plummeted during the Eagles and Flyers down years, but that really didn't happen. We just turn our backs when ownership and management make it explicitly clear they have no intentions to compete, like what happened with the Sixers during the Hinkie years and what happened with the Phils since 2012.

The Flyers and Eagles fan bases are a different beast in this city. Also, the Eagles haven't had an extended down time in the last 20 years.

If you don't think the majority of Phillies fan base are a bunch of frontrunners I don't know what to tell you. Look back at 2008 where you see all of the pink hat fans who just went because it was the cool thing to do. Where have they been?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Most sports fans are fair weather as they probably should be. For example, if the Flyers are dog **** and employing Dave Hakstol as their coach, I am not spending money to go see them play.
Bingo. I'd say Phillies fans are certainly fair weather fans, but I wouldn't call them bandwagon. A bandwagon fanbase wouldn't have blown up social media like it did yesterday. The fans are there, just need a reason to go.

Reactions: phlflyer1

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I disagree with this sentiment. CBP was a huge part of generating excitemet for the phillies. But even in the vet there were those fan clubs that were a grass roots movement to build up excitement for the club. Padilla's flotilla's, Wolf Pack, Duck Pond, Robert Person's Persons. **** was hilarious and awesome and got regular coverage on espn.

But baseball is the hardest sport to follow for a team that sucks, most baseball fans are bandwagon fans. There is nothing like spending a weeknight at a stadium for a 100 loss club. I can literally think of 100 better things to do in life.
Oh don't get me wrong, there were definitely real fans and still are. And CBP sparked interest and generated higher attendance numbers, but CBP is more of a "destination" than it is for people actually who want to go and watch a baseball game, at least in my experience. Attendance numbers don't mean anything with regard to whether fans are bandwagon fans or not. I love the Phillies but I go to maybe one or two games a year (mainly because I live 1.5 hours away). Even if the stadium is sold out the entire year, the average person that is going isn't going to be a guy or gal you can actually talk baseball with. They are going because it is something fun to do. Nothing at all wrong with that either, go have fun and do you. It is just hard for me to argue with someone who says there are a lot of Phillies bandwagon people because growing up and going to games at empty stadiums, then the team gets good and all the sudden everyone is wearing Phillies gear and going to games but not really knowing anything about the team other than just basic surface information, then disappearing when the team sucks, kind of fits the bill of "bandwagon" fans. My younger brother is a prime example. Never watched a sporting event his entire life, all the sudden the Phillies are good and he's going to games and talking about the Phillies and now he can't name a single player on the roster outside of Aaron Nola and Maikel Franco (offseason acquisitions notwithstanding). Flyers? Not a bandwagon team. Eagles? No way. Sixers and Phillies? Yeah.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Oh don't get me wrong, there were definitely real fans and still are. And CBP sparked interest and generated higher attendance numbers, but CBP is more of a "destination" than it is for people actually who want to go and watch a baseball game, at least in my experience. Attendance numbers don't mean anything with regard to whether fans are bandwagon fans or not. I love the Phillies but I go to maybe one or two games a year (mainly because I live 1.5 hours away). Even if the stadium is sold out the entire year, the average person that is going isn't going to be a guy or gal you can actually talk baseball with. They are going because it is something fun to do. Nothing at all wrong with that either, go have fun and do you. It is just hard for me to argue with someone who says there are a lot of Phillies bandwagon people because growing up and going to games at empty stadiums, then the team gets good and all the sudden everyone is wearing Phillies gear and going to games but not really knowing anything about the team other than just basic surface information, then disappearing when the team sucks, kind of fits the bill of "bandwagon" fans. My younger brother is a prime example. Never watched a sporting event his entire life, all the sudden the Phillies are good and he's going to games and talking about the Phillies and now he can't name a single player on the roster outside of Aaron Nola and Maikel Franco (offseason acquisitions notwithstanding). Flyers? Not a bandwagon team. Eagles? No way. Sixers and Phillies? Yeah.

when i was young i use to watch desi relaford, rico brogna, amaury telemaco, marlon anderson when he was a 2nd basemen. At this age i was also clearly very stupid. No one is going to watch bad baseball. Ill expand on that thought. If you invest time and money into bad sports teams, you are an idiot.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There are some exceptions in sports where teams aren't largely bandwagon fanbases, but they're few and far between. The Eagles just happen to be one of them, but 8 Games a year REALLY helps with that.

Take a look at historical tv ratings if you don't think the Flyers fit the bandwagon profile.

Reactions: Jack Straw

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
when i was young i use to watch desi relaford, rico brogna, amaury telemaco, marlon anderson when he was a 2nd basemen. At this age i was also clearly very stupid. No one is going to watch bad baseball. Ill expand on that thought. If you invest time and money into bad sports teams, you are an idiot.
Hell yeah Desi Relaford!!! But I mean, that's the definition of bandwagon, no? Not caring when they suck then caring when they are good?

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Most sports fans are fair weather as they probably should be. For example, if the Flyers are dog **** and employing Dave Hakstol as their coach, I am not spending money to go see them play.
That’s why the whole idea of bandwagon fans in someone’s own city is stupid.

Excuse me for not blowing my money to watch Dave Hakstol while I can’t go watch the eagles try to win a Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->