OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The quest for 100 losses begins now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
That is the biggest surprise for me. If Galvis keeps it up, he should be traded around the deadline. He's either juicing again or this is a fluke. He's a career .246 in the minors and .218 in the majors before this year. Sure, maybe he is all the sudden a batting champion, but I doubt it.

Herrera is a nice pickup though. He's not a starter on a real team, but he's good to have around.

You really don't think a 25 year old can tinker with his swing and then become a better hitter? Jose Bautista happened too. I'm not saying Galvis will be a career .350 hitter but come on man. He doesn't look at all like he has before. Add to that a hell of a glove at short and I think he's most definitely worth keeping around

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You really don't think a 25 year old can tinker with his swing and then become a better hitter? Jose Bautista happened too. I'm not saying Galvis will be a career .350 hitter but come on man. He doesn't look at all like he has before. Add to that a hell of a glove at short and I think he's most definitely worth keeping around

Not a guy like Galvis. Galvis has been known since he was in the minors as a guy that sucked at the plate, and he has lived up to that since he has been a part of this organization. There wasn't even ever a flash of something resembling potential. Career sub .250 in the minors and career .218 in the majors, even at 25, for a guy that has a reputation as being bad at the plate (even while being on steroids) is not something that just flips. Yes it does happen, but those are the itty bitty exceptions, not the rules. If he is battin over .300 at the deadline (**** or anywhere near that), I would trade him. Yes, it is absolutely possible that he turns out to be a batting champion one day...but I would bet everything I own against that happening given his entire career up to this point. If the Phillies are rebuilding, which they very clearly are, a 25 year old shortstop having a career year is a prime candidate to sell high.

Again, anything is possible and I could be wrong and this could backfire...but if he keeps it up he's going to be arguably one of the best shortstops in the league. I just don't see him being able to keep that up. Again, this isn't a guy that is like, "well hey he just needs to do X, Y, and Z and he should get there, it is just a matter of time." This is a guy that was like, "well he is here because of his glove and if he can just not be terrible at the plate it will be ok."

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

Not a guy like Galvis. Galvis has been known since he was in the minors as a guy that sucked at the plate, and he has lived up to that since he has been a part of this organization. There wasn't even ever a flash of something resembling potential. Career sub .250 in the minors and career .218 in the majors, even at 25, for a guy that has a reputation as being bad at the plate (even while being on steroids) is not something that just flips. Yes it does happen, but those are the itty bitty exceptions, not the rules. If he is battin over .300 at the deadline (**** or anywhere near that), I would trade him. Yes, it is absolutely possible that he turns out to be a batting champion one day...but I would bet everything I own against that happening given his entire career up to this point. If the Phillies are rebuilding, which they very clearly are, a 25 year old shortstop having a career year is a prime candidate to sell high.

Again, anything is possible and I could be wrong and this could backfire...but if he keeps it up he's going to be arguably one of the best shortstops in the league. I just don't see him being able to keep that up. Again, this isn't a guy that is like, "well hey he just needs to do X, Y, and Z and he should get there, it is just a matter of time." This is a guy that was like, "well he is here because of his glove and if he can just not be terrible at the plate it will be ok."

On one hand, it's really astounding that he's doing what he's doing. It's not all just BABIP luck either. I mean, yeah he's been lucky to hit .350, but he's earned .300 at least. It's really hard to make an adjustment like the one Galvis has and improve so much.

On the other hand, I don't think it's impossible that this sustains because it isn't a fluke. He's not doing it with luck; he's cut his strikeout rate in half and then some, his line drive rate is up from last year (but not way up from 2012-13) and he's hitting to the opposite field more. He might revert to his old swing/approach, but what he's done so far is legit. If he gets to the AS break and he's still doing what he's doing, it would be crazy to trade him unless you get something very nice in return.

It would be an unusual development given what he did in the minors, but not impossible. He was always young for the levels he played at because the team liked his glove so much. The last couple years he's been hurt a lot and had incosistent playing time. In hindsight the team probably didn't handle his development in the best way because they wanted his glove to help them in the majors.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
On one hand, it's really astounding that he's doing what he's doing. It's not all just BABIP luck either. I mean, yeah he's been lucky to hit .350, but he's earned .300 at least. It's really hard to make an adjustment like the one Galvis has and improve so much.

On the other hand, I don't think it's impossible that this sustains because it isn't a fluke. He's not doing it with luck; he's cut his strikeout rate in half and then some, his line drive rate is up from last year (but not way up from 2012-13) and he's hitting to the opposite field more. He might revert to his old swing/approach, but what he's done so far is legit. If he gets to the AS break and he's still doing what he's doing, it would be crazy to trade him unless you get something very nice in return.

It would be an unusual development given what he did in the minors, but not impossible. He was always young for the levels he played at because the team liked his glove so much. The last couple years he's been hurt a lot and had incosistent playing time. In hindsight the team probably didn't handle his development in the best way because they wanted his glove to help them in the majors.

I just don't see it. Even if he has improved where he is hitting the ball, etc., I'd sell high on him. We're rebuilding here. We should be trading anything for which you can get value. If he's an all-star this year (as it looks like he probably will be), you should be able to get a ton for him at the deadline. His defensive is unquestionably good, and if his hitting is now among the best in the league, he should be able to bring home a fair amount. And I 100% do not expect him to be a perennial all-star or .300 hitter.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I just don't see it. Even if he has improved where he is hitting the ball, etc., I'd sell high on him. We're rebuilding here. We should be trading anything for which you can get value. If he's an all-star this year (as it looks like he probably will be), you should be able to get a ton for him at the deadline. His defensive is unquestionably good, and if his hitting is now among the best in the league, he should be able to bring home a fair amount. And I 100% do not expect him to be a perennial all-star or .300 hitter.

From another team's perspective, I don't think anyone would trade a package befitting a 25 year old all-star SS for him. Not after just a half season, with his track record. I understand being skeptical, but it's not like he needs to hit .300 to be a useful piece; he could hit .280 and still be valuable. I just don't see a team offering enough for a trade to makes sense. The Phillies are rebuilding, yes, but Galvis is young enough to fit into the timeline of the rebuild. They could get value for Franco too but that doesn't mean they should trade him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
His walk rate is 7.8%. If he can maintain that and hit .275, he will be a very good player. Could be the starting 2nd baseman depending on how Crawford develops.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
JP Crawford with 2 of his teams 4 hits today, now batting .397, just needs to start getting some XBH's.

Looking forward to seeing who moves up over the next few weeks as they usually make these moves around then. Rookie ball will be starting up around then as well and you start getting your newly drafted players signed shortly after. Crawford to AA shouldn't be too far away but what they do with Nola is going to be interesting as they might not want to start his clock early so we might not see him in philly till Sept.

Others have suggested he skip AAA and go right to the phils rotation since Sully is usually terrible, Williams stinks for the most part. Not sure I see the phils doing that since they waited to the day to call up Franco before his clock started, could see them doing the same although with Nola they need starting pitching so bad perhaps there will be more pressure. Herrera and Araujo went from AA to the phils, but one was a rule 5.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
200.gif

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Tell us how you really feel:

“They don’t understand the game,” Amaro said, according to CSN Philadelphia. "They don’t understand the process. There’s a process. And then they ***** and complain because we don’t have a plan. There’s a plan in place and we’re sticking with the plan. We can’t do what’s best for the fan. We have to do what’s best for the organization so the fan can reap the benefit of it later on. That’s the truth.”

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/05/26/philadelphia-phillies-ruben-amaro-rips-fans

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He's not going to be here for the rebuild. But I dont think they are as bad off as I originally thought they would be.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why is this guy allowed to manage the Phillies still?

I really want to know that. This is why they haven't seen a dime of my money since 2013 and won't until Ruben is fired.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
He's not wrong, necessarily...

But yeah, it's not a good idea to say that. He seems to have lost his filter the last few months. Maybe he's been hanging out with Papelbon.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Don't agree with all of what he is saying but at least he is being honest. I think to a certain degree he has a point...I'm sure there is a process and a plan in place to which we as fans are not privy, but that doesn't mean we can't complaint or question it. At the end of the day the fans may not be correct, but even in the best of times fans are going to complain and disagree with management. Doesn't have to be a dick about it though.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I wouldn't mind him saying that if he wasn't a complete idiot. He's shown his inability to not be an idiot several times, why should anyone trust him or believe he has any idea how to fix his own mess?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Fans in general may not know a lot about how to build a team, but you sure as hell don't neither, Ruben.

If Gillick came out and said that, I'd be 100 % fine with it as he has proven he is a championship level GM. Amaro though? You're the ***** bro. So just ****.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I just like how he continuously shows he's not the brightest guy.

Come on guys, you have to admit its almost comedic.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It is totally amazing to me how the Phils went from the most likeable organization in town to the most hateable in such a short time span and lots of it is due to comments and actions like this latest blathering from Amaro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad