OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The quest for 100 losses begins now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Severino Gonzalez's spot in the rotation lines up with Billingsley's. Wonder if they call him up again. Playing at Coors Field could get ugly for him though.

Gonzalez will get the start. Billingsley out a month from the sounds of it, Buchanan out 6-8 weeks.

Aumont solid again tonight.

4 hits and 3 walks in 6, I don't know that's starting to sound like the Aumont I know.

Now who was solid tonight, Brandon Leibrandt, he's been doing great in Clearwater. 9 innings, 5 hits, 0 walks, 5 ks', 1 ER in the win.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I was having this conversation with a friend. What is the ABSOLUTE worst way to lose a Perfect game?

My arguement: Bottom of the 9th, 26 batters up, 26 batters down. 27th batter comes up and has 2 strikes against him. You throw a pitch, and he strikes out, but it's a wild pitch and he makes it to first.

Would there be a worse way?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I was having this conversation with a friend. What is the ABSOLUTE worst way to lose a Perfect game?

My arguement: Bottom of the 9th, 26 batters up, 26 batters down. 27th batter comes up and has 2 strikes against him. You throw a pitch, and he strikes out, but it's a wild pitch and he makes it to first.

Would there be a worse way?

Cliff Lee-esque popup to the mound and you yourself drop the ball I would define as worse.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
for the pitcher himself. He throws a pitch, gets the strikeout, so technically got all 27 outs, but still doesn't get the perfect game.

And i say wild pitch because i don't want to place the onus on the catcher for a passed ball

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's pretty much recognized as a perfect game, though.

Not in the record books. I can guarantee that you could go back in time and there are tons of bad calls that would make games perfect games or no-hitters, they just may not have happened with the last out. No perfect game for Gallaraga. No worse way to lose it.

Similarly, Pedro Martinez's 9/10 inning perfect game at 0-0 is also pretty devastating.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Honestly, Armanda Galarraga's is still worse, isn't it?

Agreed.

Eh, not really. It's a perfect game to me, one of the best in history.

First of all...it was not a perfect game, even if you consider it a perfect game. That's like saying I consider the Eagles the 2004 Super Bowl Champions because the Patriots cheated or the Seahawks the last year's Superbowl Champs because the Pats cheated to get there and Pete Carrol should have just told Russel Wilson to run the ball. Was Pedro Martinez's a perfect game? What about the games were someone got on in the first inning but the pitcher only faced 27 batters?

It was not a perfect game even if there was a bad call. Go watch some other near misses. I bet you can find a couple in the past 150 years that were blown due to an umpire or even questionable plays during perfect games that could have been called outs but were not.

Also...one of the best in history? He had three strikeouts against a team in the bottom five in terms of runs scored and bottom five in the standings. Even if it was a perfect game (which it wasn't), how is it one of the best ever?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Got to say Gallaraga's is the worst possible way especially since they were one out away. At least Joyce owned up to it after

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Agreed.

First of all...it was not a perfect game, even if you consider it a perfect game. That's like saying I consider the Eagles the 2004 Super Bowl Champions because the Patriots cheated or the Seahawks the last year's Superbowl Champs because the Pats cheated to get there and Pete Carrol should have just told Russel Wilson to run the ball. Was Pedro Martinez's a perfect game? What about the games were someone got on in the first inning but the pitcher only faced 27 batters?

It was not a perfect game even if there was a bad call. Go watch some other near misses. I bet you can find a couple in the past 150 years that were blown due to an umpire or even questionable plays during perfect games that could have been called outs but were not.

Also...one of the best in history? He had three strikeouts against a team in the bottom five in terms of runs scored and bottom five in the standings. Even if it was a perfect game (which it wasn't), how is it one of the best ever?

First, that's a terrible comparison. The Martinez comparison is good, though. I would consider Martinez's effort 9 perfect innings, which all perfect games are. His offense happened to not score enough runs to win the game in 9 innings, not his fault. Sure, not a perfect game, but just as impressive.

Yes, one of the best in history. 83 pitches to get through 27 MLB batters. So efficient. That's incredible even if the Indians had a poor offense that year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
First, that's a terrible comparison. The Martinez comparison is good, though. I would consider Martinez's effort 9 perfect innings, which all perfect games are. His offense happened to not score enough runs to win the game in 9 innings, not his fault. Sure, not a perfect game, but just as impressive.

So what about Clayton Kershaw last year? Is that a perfect game? Hanley Ramirez's throwing error wasn't his fault. A perfect game is a perfect game. 27 up, 27 down. No baserunners. If that doesn't happen, it is not a perfect game. Even if you consider whatever happened to cause a baserunner unfair, it still isn't a perfect game.

For clarification, here is the MLB Rule for perfect games:

Perfect games and No-hitters:
An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

Joyce 100% blew the call. But that doesn't change the scorecard.

Yes, one of the best in history. 83 pitches to get through 27 MLB batters. So efficient. That's incredible even if the Indians had a poor offense that year.

I think more strikeouts, which naturally means more pitches, is more impressive than efficiency. You have guys like Randy Johnson, Felix Hernandez, and Roy Halladay striking out 13, 12, and 11 respectively. Is it really more impressive to get those out by ground balls, especially against one of the worst hitting teams in the league?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
So what about Clayton Kershaw last year? Is that a perfect game? Hanley Ramirez's throwing error wasn't his fault. A perfect game is a perfect game. 27 up, 27 down. No baserunners. If that doesn't happen, it is not a perfect game. Even if you consider whatever happened to cause a baserunner unfair, it still isn't a perfect game.

Joyce 100% blew the call. But that doesn't change the scorecard.

I think more strikeouts, which naturally means more pitches, is more impressive than efficiency. You have guys like Randy Johnson, Felix Hernandez, and Roy Halladay striking out 13, 12, and 11 respectively. Is it really more impressive to get those out by ground balls, especially against one of the worst hitting teams in the league?

No, but definitely as impressive, if not more impressive, than some legit perfect games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The year Halladay through his perfect game and no hitter, thought there were a few games where he was better. One of them was his CGSO against Washington to clinch the division.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another gem today from Nola, 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 BB 7 Ks

Nice to see Franco doing well so far, still can't believe what i'm seeing from Galvis and Herrera is looking like a nice find from the Rule 5.

The good news is the phils top 5 or so prospects are having an impressive start to the season. Crawford, Nola, Franco, Eflin, Quinn, Tocci all looking good. Saw Tocci last night but wasn't the best game for Lakewood.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
The year Halladay through his perfect game and no hitter, thought there were a few games where he was better. One of them was his CGSO against Washington to clinch the division.

I was at that game, and he most definitely was dealing. I'd rank it better than the perfect game, but just behind the playoff no-hitter.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Another gem today from Nola, 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 BB 7 Ks

Nice to see Franco doing well so far, still can't believe what i'm seeing from Galvis and Herrera is looking like a nice find from the Rule 5.

The good news is the phils top 5 or so prospects are having an impressive start to the season. Crawford, Nola, Franco, Eflin, Quinn, Tocci all looking good. Saw Tocci last night but wasn't the best game for Lakewood.

That is the biggest surprise for me. If Galvis keeps it up, he should be traded around the deadline. He's either juicing again or this is a fluke. He's a career .246 in the minors and .218 in the majors before this year. Sure, maybe he is all the sudden a batting champion, but I doubt it.

Herrera is a nice pickup though. He's not a starter on a real team, but he's good to have around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad