OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2019 Offseason #FireSZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is Wheeler good? Do we want that?

yes he's very good and if Nola bounces back, and now that they have a new pitching coach that has experience unlike the last guy who got promoted because Kapler didn't get along with Kranitz who then goes to the braves. You could have a nasty 1-2 punch there of Nola and Wheeler. They need Eflin to pitch like he did at the end of the season, and Jake should be fine as a 4th or 5th if Howard is ready at some point by say June.

Need to work on the pen next although I assume they sign Didi any day now and maybe trade Segura, not that I would trade him but they could be up against the luxury tax of 208M. I don't see why they can't go over it this year since Jake and Robertson will be coming off the books at the end of next season which frees up 36M. But the phils have never come close to going over the lux tax. The Nationals went over the past 2 years and likely again next year if they re-sign either of Rendon or Strasburg.

Either way this team needs to be much better from top to bottom.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
There's also Haseley. Bohm will probably play at some point next season, too. But I wouldn't call mostly late twenty somethings old enough to be a problem

I'm more interested in Wheeler, and of course, Cole than Hamels

Basically the entire Phillies lineup has hit their peak, it's not a championship calibre offense, and they're not going to get any better.

Kingery and Haseley are nice players, but not more than that. Haseley's a B prospect, not anywhere near Top 100 prospects in baseball since his D+1 year.

The Dodgers outscored the Phillies by 112 runs, which is ridiculous considering the ballparks. IN a neutral setting, the Dodgers are probably realistically 150 runs better, which is like 20 runs per position. The Dodgers have 5 hitters as good or better than Harper. It's not just their starting lineup, they literally have 4 guys coming off their bench who produce at the same level/PA as Hoskins. It's an enormous gulf.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Basically the entire Phillies lineup has hit their peak, it's not a championship calibre offense, and they're not going to get any better.

Kingery and Haseley are nice players, but not more than that. Haseley's a B prospect, not anywhere near Top 100 prospects in baseball since his D+1 year.

The Dodgers outscored the Phillies by 112 runs, which is ridiculous considering the ballparks. IN a neutral setting, the Dodgers are probably realistically 150 runs better, which is like 20 runs per position. The Dodgers have 5 hitters as good or better than Harper. It's not just their starting lineup, they literally have 4 guys coming off their bench who produce at the same level/PA as Hoskins. It's an enormous gulf.

I agree that they need to add a hitter. 3b is the hole to fill and hopefully they get either Donaldson or Rendon.

I don't think that the Phillies need to be nearly as good as the Dodgers at hitting to win. Also, Haseley was probably a top 100 prospect at some point last season.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im just seeing this now. Irritated Cole went to the Braves and the Phillies didn't offer him much. Wheeler has been good so Im alright with this. Try to get another starter now and have Eflin and Jake round out the rotation for now.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Don't love this move but don't hate it. We desperately need a lefty though. If only there was a reliable lefty that wanted to come here...:(:(:(

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hamels doesn't really have great splits against LHHs because he's a changeup dominant pitcher, so I'm not sure he'd have given the Phillies some advantage in that area.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We should really gun for Bumgarner.
Idk much about him these days. The whole team has been in the shitter the last few years, not sure if that is because of down years from guys like Bumgarner or what. If he still has it I would be all over that.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The only guy who breaks Phillies' news is Salisbury because he's intentionally fed the beat by the front office.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->