Philadelphia Flyers vs. Soviet Union in 1983 - watch the whole game!

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Awesome. I'm definitely going to watch this.

Edit: I mistook this for the game in the 70's. :(

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also, if people want a clue as to why I still rank Fetisov above Lidstrom this game is a good example. There is a point in this game where he is skating backwards with the puck and he's moving faster than any Flyer could skate forwards.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I noticed that moment (Fetisov skating backwards) as well. Just incredible display of skating ability. I have never seen anyone skate backwards like that.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Also notice the play of young Sergei Svetlov (wearing number 15). A tall rangy player with great hands and dekes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I noticed that moment (Fetisov skating backwards) as well. Just incredible display of skating ability. I have never seen anyone skate backwards like that.

Reijo Ruotsalainen. When he played with the Rangers in beginning of his NHL career, Rangers coach/GM said "Rexi can skate backwards faster than most our forwards can skate forward." Or something like that.

Edit: now having seen it, I'm actually disappointed, it was a very short piece.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Reijo Ruotsalainen. When he played with the Rangers in beginning of his NHL career, Rangers coach/GM said "Rexi can skate backwards faster than most our forwards can skate forward." Or something like that.

Edit: now having seen it, I'm actually disappointed, it was a very short piece.

I have rarely seen Ruotsalainen play so I cannot really compare his skating to Fetisov's. From those players that I have seen play a lot Fetisov's backwards skating is the best. And he could handle the puck and make hard accurate passes at top speed while skating backwards.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I have rarely seen Ruotsalainen play so I cannot really compare his skating to Fetisov's. From those players that I have seen play a lot Fetisov's backwards skating is the best. And he could handle the puck and make hard accurate passes at top speed while skating backwards.

Well I'm old to enough to have seen him play (on tv) and his skating was truly exceptional.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
No, it wasn't. Result wise for you gloryhunters, maybe.
The level of play was higher in the 1983 game, at least from the Soviet's side. The 1976 game was played with a much slower tempo. And of course the 1983 game was not as dirty.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I've said it before; the 'classic' 1976 game between CSKA and the Flyers is one of the most undeservedly famous games in history. If you're a Flyers fan and/or commie hater, it's probably great, but for a CCCP hockey fan, it is pure torture. In order to be a great match, both sides should be at least near the top of their game... the 1975-76 Super series was undoubtedly a more classic series but the quality of play was hardly better.

One of the differences here (1982-83), of course, is that this was the full Soviet national team - though without its best forward, Sergei Makarov, who was injured.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
One of the differences here (1982-83), of course, is that this was the full Soviet national team - though without its best forward, Sergei Makarov, who was injured.
Also missing were Viktor Shalimov and Sergei Kapustin, two veteran forwards from Spartak Moscow, who were great in previous games in this tourney but who were rested by Tikhonov in this game.

Another veteran Alexander Maltsev was injured in earlier games of the tourney and did not play against the Flyers.

Two CSKA forwards Andrei Khomutov and Nikolai Drozdetsky were also missing. They did not participate to the tourney at all. Both Khomutov and Drozdetsky were key players for the national team.

Another good player missing was Irek Gimayev, a utility player who could play both defense and forward. Gimayev was a gritty player and usually played well against North Americans.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Also missing were Viktor Shalimov and Sergei Kapustin, two veteran forwards from Spartak Moscow, who were great in previous games in this tourney but who were rested by Tikhonov in this game.

Another veteran Alexander Maltsev was injured in earlier games of the tourney and did not play against the Flyers.

Two CSKA forwards Andrei Khomutov and Nikolai Drozdetsky were also missing. They did not participate to the tourney at all. Both Khomutov and Drozdetsky were key players for the national team.

Another good player missing was Irek Gimayev, a utility player who could play both defense and forward. Gimayev was a gritty player and usually played well against North Americans.

In 1978-84 or so, they had great depth alright.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Another true gem available on YouTube:

1984 Canada Cup semi-final, USSR vs. CAN (part 1/6)

Soviet hockey had started to go downhill a bit (Tretiak retired etc.) and this team was missing Vyacheslav Fetisov dearly, but aren't they ever-so-dangerous here also!

member 30781

Awesome. I'm definitely going to watch this.

Edit: I mistook this for the game in the 70's. :(

It's funny how quickly Flyers fans forget this game because all they can think about is the 1976 game.

IIRC, the Russians have a winning record all time vs the Flyers in all the times the Russians have come across to play those types of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad