GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 7pm HNIC

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
cut.jpeg

Lineups to be posted when known. Appears JVR and possibly someone else is missing tonight’s game

Last Time We Met

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

1079361603765.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1079361603765
Saturday NHL preview: Philadelphia Flyers at Toronto Maple Leafs

Flyer Claude Giroux hits ACC at top of his game.
giroux_flyers.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Claude Giroux of the Flyers arrives for Saturday night's date with the Leafs on a roll. (Rick Madonik / Toronto Star file photo)

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...iladelphia-flyers-at-toronto-maple-leafs.html

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Fri., Oct. 27, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Giroux/Bozak
Flyer Claude Giroux is looking more like his old self. After a sub-par performance last season, the 2013-14 Hart Trophy finalist has five goals and six assists in 10 games. He’s skating extremely well and looking dangerous in the offensive zone. . . . Leaf Tyler Bozak is among the league’s top faceoff men and has drawn regular praise from coach Mike Babcock for his hockey smarts.
NEED TO KNOW
The Flyers have lost their last two games, dropping to 5-5-0 on the season. They were 5-4 losers in Ottawa on Thursday. … Jakub Voracek scored his first goal of the season in the loss to the Senators, but leads the team with 12 assists. … Wayne Simmonds, a Toronto native, usually has strong games when the Flyers visit the Leafs, but he’s been nursing some nagging injuries of late. … Nolan Patrick, the second overall pick in June, is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, while key defenceman Andrew MacDonald is out a month with a lower-body injury. The Flyers have been outscored 11-6 in the two games MacDonald has missed so far … The Flyers power play is 0 for 8 in the last two games, both losses.
UP NEXT
Monday at San Jose Sharks, 10 p.m.

Game Day: Flyers at Maple Leafs
Terry Koshan

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/game-day-flyers-at-maple-leafs

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Saturday, 7 p.m., Air Canada Centre,
TV: CBC, Radio: 1050 AM
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME

Learn from mistakes
All three of the Maple Leafs’ losses this season have been by a score of 6-3, and after the previous two, they won by a goal. On Friday, they seemed to have their heads screwed on straight again. “Our work ethic was not there and that’s something that should never happen,” Tyler Bozak said. “We’ll be ready to go.”
First priorities
The Leafs have been productive in the first period, scoring an NHL-high 18 goals (prior to games on Friday), while the Flyers lag near the bottom of the league, scoring seven goals in the opening 20 minutes. The Leafs, goalie Frederik Andersen included, can’t be as bad as they were early against Carolina.
What’s my line?
Coach Mike Babcock has done some line juggling, and we’ll see how long it lasts once the puck drops. He wants Patrick Marleau to spur on Tyler Bozak (two even-strength points in 10 games) and Mitch Marner (three even-strength points), for starters. If in, Josh Leivo might be tested in tempering his excitement.
Patrick possible
The Leafs could get their first look at Flyers forward Nolan Patrick, selected second overall in June. Patrick, who is dealing with an upper-body issue (head), was on the ice on Friday after missing the Flyers’ game Thursday. “There’s a few things I have to do first, but I’m feeling good and hopefully ready to go,” Patrick said.
Oh my Gudas
In Radko Gudas, the Flyers have one of the hardest hitters in the NHL, and the burly defenceman doesn’t give an inch. The forecheck won’t be fun, and the Leafs will have to keep their heads up. “Radko hits as hard as anybody in the league, so his hits are impact hits,” Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said.
THE BIG MATCHUP
Wayne Simmonds vs. Nazem Kadri
Both can score. Both can agitate. Both can decide a game. Simmonds has scored in double digits in his career against seven NHL clubs, including the Leafs, with 10 goals in 22 games. Kadri has 12 points in 16 career games versus the Flyers, with four points coming in three games last season. If they’re on the ice against each other, expect neither to give up so much as a step.
SPECIAL TEAMS
LEAFS — PP 28.2% (3rd), PK 85.7% (6th)
FLYERS — PP 19.5% (11th), PK 78.4% (23rd)
SICK BAY
LEAFS — LW James van Riemsdyk (lower body).
FLYERS — C Nolan Patrick (upper body), G Anthony Stolarz (knee), D Andrew MacDonald (lower body), RW Colin McDonald (lower body).

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs need to be better defensively if they want to min tonight - I hope they can pull it out

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My best guess? Martin woke up this morning not feeling great from when he got banged up against Carolina. He missed some shifts and yesterday he and Fehr rotates in his spot during the brief practice.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Moore-Kapanen

Is my best guess at the forward lines for today. If Martin is good, it seems Leivo will sit out

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No morning skate today either, so we won’t know until tonight :/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think this is going to be a good one tonight, regretting not going.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Whenever we play Philly I always think WHAT IF?

What if the Leafs took Provorov #4 (10 games 2-3-5 points) and Konecny #24 (10 games 2-3-5 points) instead Marner #4 (10 games 1-5-6 points) and traded down for Dermott #34 (in AHL).

Which pairing would the Leafs be better off with long-term? Time will tell ..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
@kristen_shilton
After shortened practice yesterday #Leafs have called off their morning skate. So now they're really saving it for the game.

6:33 AM - 28 Oct 2017

Babs not looking for excuses tonight: Short practice yesterday, even picked up the pucks :huh::laugh: , lastly no morning skate.

Can't be tired so they better come out fast and prepared!
Can't be tired and some bench dwellers might be getting an opportunity. Zero excuses for them not to be on overdrive.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, seems like Martin is a healthy scratch.

Which is weird because he’s been good and the Flyers are a physical team

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

What if the Leafs took Provorov #4 (10 games 2-3-5 points) and Konecny #24 (10 games 2-3-5 points) instead Marner #4 (10 games 1-5-6 points) and traded down for Dermott #34 (in AHL).

I hope I find something I love in life the way this board loves Konecny.

Reactions: Max Money and zeke

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Leivo and Kappy in for JVR and Martin?

Cool.

Hopefully the boys respond tonight. Need a good game to kickstart what will be a tough road trip.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Points and even strength goals through the first 87 regular season games of some notable young stars:

Marner 67 / 15
MacKinnon 66 / 16
Eichel 61 / 17
Tavares 61 / 15
Nylander 60 / 14

Time has already told us the Leafs are better with Marner. You just have to get with the times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad