GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm on CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Leafs Record (9-5-3) 7th overall in the league right now... so not too terrible... yes I know not in points percentage... but its getting there

Projected Leafs lineup:

Most likely the same as the other night

Flyers Record (8-5-2) Kind of surprised... I don't think they're that good.

Projected Flyers lineup:

The Philadelphia Flyers visit the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night trying to avenge a home loss on Nov. 2 in a game that was decided by an 11-round shootout.

The Flyers and Maple Leafs posted home victories on Thursday night, both in overtime. The Flyers defeated the Montreal Canadiens 3-2, and the Maple Leafs beat the Vegas Golden Knights 2-1.

The Flyers have 18 points in their first 15 games -- the most since the 2011-12 team had 19 points -- but Montreal goaltender Carey Price worked hard to try to keep Philadelphia from adding to that total. The Flyers outshot the Canadiens 43-24.

"I think Price is the only reason why they got a point tonight," Flyers goaltender Carter Hart said. "I thought we really competed hard tonight."

The Flyers recorded points in each of their past four games, going 3-0-1. The Maple Leafs, meanwhile, won their third straight game Thursday, giving coach Mike Babcock his 700th NHL victory.

The difference for the Maple Leafs was goaltender Frederik Andersen, who made 37 saves.

"I think we're 4-1-1 in our last six," Babcock said, correctly. "So (Andersen has) been playing and he's been getting better just like each year. He kind of gets through October and seems to kick it into gear and gets feeling good. He's an important player for us, a good leader for us. We need him to make big saves."

The Maple Leafs' power play, which ranks 21st in the league at 17.2 percent efficiency, went 1-for-6 against the Golden Knights. It finally clicked in the third period with a goal by Auston Matthews that tied the game.

Before that power play, Babcock told the team to relax: "That's what we said before the power play there, 'Come on, lighten up here fellas. Let's just go out there and breathe a little bit and do what we're supposed to do.'"

Captain John Tavares, who scored in overtime, said the Maple Leafs did what they had to do.

"Obviously, at times, I think our execution wasn't great," he said, "but I think we also had a lot of looks on net, we put a lot of pucks there and sometimes it's just getting those second and third opportunities. I think on that last power play, that was what happened."

Against Philadelphia, Toronto will be without Zach Hyman, who is returning from knee surgery. Babcock said the right winger will not return until next week.

For the Flyers, Sean Couturier, who did not take faceoffs Thursday because of a sore shoulder, scored the overtime goal. The Flyers have an imposing back-to-back set this weekend with a road game against the Boston Bruins on Sunday.

Philadelphia coach Alain Vigneault gives the players more days off to recover from games, but he works them long and hard when they do practice.

Flyers center Travis Konecny, who leads the team in points with seven goals and nine assists, said the practices make a difference later in games.

"There's a very high tempo, and there's not a lot of breaks," Konecny said, "and even the breaks we do get, we're doing laps in between. It's little things that people laugh at and don't really understand the logic behind it, but look at the third periods and we're outskating teams."

The Flyers have outscored their opponents 23-13 in the third period.

Philadelphia made a roster move Friday, sending center Mikhail Vorobyev to Lehigh Valley of the American Hockey League and recalling center Andy Andreoff.

--Field Level Media

Well... wins haven't been pretty, but keep it going Leafs. No reason they can't keep winning this weekend. I hope the effort is there for a full 60 minutes.

Go Leafs Go

P.S Where was the pre game talk yesterday... must of been a busy Friday for most.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I know people still complain about the production of our highest paid forwards but look at Philly as an example of what bad really looks like. They have 4 forwards making a combined $30.57M (Giroux, Voracek, Hayes, JvR) and they have combined for just 16 goals and 39 points so far. All of them locked in for at least 3 more years.

Our top 4 guys have combined for 25 goals and 58 points with Tavares missing 7 games..

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I know people still complain about the production of our highest paid forwards but look at Philly as an example of what bad really looks like. They have 4 forwards making a combined $30.57M (Giroux, Voracek, Hayes, JvR) and they have combined for just 16 goals and 39 points so far. All of them locked in for at least 3 more years.

Our top 4 guys have combined for 25 goals and 58 points with Tavares missing 7 games..

Good point... and they still haven't played as well as they can... so it should bode well for the rest of the season... barring any injuries etc.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Ppl weren't complaining about their production, they were complaining about the production against the big teams and their defence and pp production.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
In town for 3 days. I'll be at the Loose Moose tonight with my girlfriend watching the game. I did a bit of research and it looks like if we get there at 6 PM we should be able to get a table.

Thought about getting tickets but $200 doesn't even get you into the first 5 rows of the 300 level.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Flyers have what I want on the Leafs: Philipe Myers..............

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
In town for 3 days. I'll be at the Loose Moose tonight with my girlfriend watching the game. I did a bit of research and it looks like if we get there at 6 PM we should be able to get a table.

Thought about getting tickets but $200 doesn't even get you into the first 5 rows of the 300 level.

The last few times I was there, 6pm was not getting you anywhere near a table. Might want to get there a little earlier.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Simplify the PP. Feed Mathews over and over again til he scores :sarcasm: Leafs win. We all go streaking.
giphy.gif

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Get there for 4/430 to be safe. Place packs up fast.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
An experienced coach, even with a billion wins, still isn't a good fit if the players don't like his coaching style or hockey systems.

All current NHL coaches were rookies with no NHL head coaching experience at one time.

There is no guarantee that Keefe will become a successful NHL coach immediately. Look no further than Dallas Eakins.
The people that argue for Keefe as head coach are just looking for creative ways to fill their day. They'll also be the first to suggest coach x when Keefe doesn't work out.

Reactions: rubous

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sensing a blowout, either way, after a few tight games. Would like to see the shots against stay around 25. Hopefully we won’t go through a 12 minute stretch without a shot again.

Let’s make this a laugher after the first 10 min. boys.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Simplify the PP. Feed Mathews over and over again til he scores :sarcasm: Leafs win. We all go streaking.
I’m cool with that. Its what Washington does and they are lethal. Ovies one timer is waaay better but, although this would get me flamed on the main board: Matthews now has a more effective wrist shot than the old guy.
Matthews firing off shot after shot will work better than Rielly taking a weak shot from the point looking for a tip or rebound.

Reactions: TopCheese

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Flyers are a decent team so this will probably be another close one.

Couts line did a good job neutralizing Matthews wingers last time out so having Tavares back is going to make a big difference compared with last game as well as Dermott back up to speed. Hoping the value of having two top end centers shows itself tonight. The Flyers only have one big shutdown line and if Andersen continues his strong play, the Leafs should be able to take this.

Reactions: glue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->