News Article: Philadelphia Flyers, National Hockey League of Nations - Yahoo!

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Cool write up on the Flyers and the respective nations (of players) that have made us up as fav. players.

"Ed. Note: Welcome to the Puck Daddy 2013 summer project, the National Hockey League of Nations. We’ve recruited 30 writers/blogs to identify the best player in their favorite team’s history for each major nationality that creates the fabric of our beloved NHL: Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Finland and The Rest of The World. It’s their criteria, as long as they can justify it. Read, debate and enjoy! If you want to do so on Twitter, it's #NHLoN"

[FLAG] Canada
Throughout his 15-year career in the National Hockey League, Bobby Clarke personified what it means to be a Philadelphia Flyer. Having captained the team for seven years of the franchise’s........"

Found here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...national-hockey-league-nations-212608011.html

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i would have chosed LeClair and Voracek over Jagr and Howe

Howe's a HOFer & arguably the best defensemen in franchise history. If you consider him an American than I see it as a no brainer if not than I would agree with Leclair.

As for Jagr it's basically name recognition since the Flyers really haven't had a big time Czech player here much during their history. Voracek could be it down the line but he hasn't been here long enough neither. So it could go either way.

I really have no qualms with that list to be honest.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
i would have chosed LeClair and Voracek over Jagr and Howe

I love me some Johnny Vermont, but I think you gotta go with Howe. I think even Roenick would get the nod over LeClair. While he obviously didn't have the years in Philly that LeClair had, Roenick had a better overall career. If we are just talking about best players from each country (as in, it doesn't matter how long the guy played here), then Jagr is the obvious choice from Czech Republic and LeClair would be third on the list of Americans.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I love me some Johnny Vermont, but I think you gotta go with Howe. I think even Roenick would get the nod over LeClair. While he obviously didn't have the years in Philly that LeClair had, Roenick had a better overall career. If we are just talking about best players from each country (as in, it doesn't matter how long the guy played here), then Jagr is the obvious choice from Czech Republic and LeClair would be third on the list of Americans.

Messier is the player that had the best career of all former/current Canucks, but you'd incite a riot (maybe not so difficult in Vancouver ;) ) if you named him the all-time best Canadian Canuck.

Positive impact with the organization should count for something. Forsberg is obviously the best Swede to play for Philly, but I have no problem with the artcile's selection of Renberg. As for Americans, Howe would be my choice, followed by LeClair.

For the Czechs, there haven't been many greats donning orange and black, so Jagr's kind of a default pick. Ask again in a few years and it would likely be Jake.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Messier is the player that had the best career of all former/current Canucks, but you'd incite a riot (maybe not so difficult in Vancouver ;) ) if you named him the all-time best Canadian Canuck.

Positive impact with the organization should count for something. Forsberg is obviously the best Swede to play for Philly, but I have no problem with the artcile's selection of Renberg. As for Americans, Howe would be my choice, followed by LeClair.

For the Czechs, there haven't been many greats donning orange and black, so Jagr's kind of a default pick. Ask again in a few years and it would likely be Jake.

Well yeah, impact on the actual organization should matter, but it looks like in this instance that is not what impacted the decision. If we are talking about impact on the organization that changes a lot of things for a lot of teams.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well yeah, impact on the actual organization should matter, but it looks like in this instance that is not what impacted the decision. If we are talking about impact on the organization that changes a lot of things for a lot of teams.

It looks they went with the best career overall with the Jagr & Zubrus picks because the choices were very limited but with the Clarke, Howe, Timonen, & Renberg picks they went with that & their impact on the franchise (especially the Renberg pick).

I saw the Devils one & the writer had two choices for each country one with the most impact during their time there & then just the best player career wise regardless of what they did with the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad