Philadelphia Flyers have promising group of prospects at junior level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Philadelphia Flyers have a good number of prospects in junior hockey. Over the last few seasons, the organization has focused on developing and improving their blue line depth, as many of their current defensemen are already past their prime.

The Flyers currently have nine players in North American junior leagues, including two former first-round picks in Scott Laughton and Samuel Morin.

OHL

Scott Laughton, C, Oshawa Generals
Acquired: 1st round (20th overall) in 2012

Laughton is having a spectacular season with the Oshawa Generals, managing 24 goals and 26 assists through only 29 games. He plays in all situations for the Generals, but has been especially deadly on the penalty kill, where he leads the OHL with four short-handed markers.… read more

More...

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You've got to wonder what someone would need to be to become an 8, let alone a 9 or 10. Not a brilliant rating system.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Wasn't there an article not long ago how we didn't have any promising talent in the Jr systems...

Yes the rating it 7/7.5 C b/c it's the bell curve, keeps everyone honest and predictable.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Let me beat a dead horse one more time.... our winger prospects would look a whole lot better if we had taken Oliver Bjorkstrand in the 3rd round last year. He just inked his ELC today with Columbus after tallying 25 goals and 31 assists in 32 games to start the WHL season. Plays on the opposite wing as Taylor Leier as well.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Stolarz is a 7.0 for "prospect talent". ??? Giant, quick goalie is a 7.0? C for prob of success. I would have him as a 8 or 8.5 D.

Same for Morin as a 7.0???? I guess 6.7, tough, excellent skating defensemen grow on trees? Idiotic.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Let me beat a dead horse one more time.... our winger prospects would look a whole lot better if we had taken Oliver Bjorkstrand in the 3rd round last year. He just inked his ELC today with Columbus after tallying 25 goals and 31 assists in 32 games to start the WHL season. Plays on the opposite wing as Taylor Leier as well.

But can he bring it with both hands like Tyrell Goulbourne can? :sarcasm:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...ngs-WJC-Roundup-Hagg-Progress-Report/45/56683

Bill Maltzter's daily blog.

This time it's about Haggs progress.

The more I hear about him, the more I get excited. Really, really nice pick in the second round I guess.

He has been pretty intense vs the Swiss so far, and the pre camp games. He just facewashed a Swiss guy and laid on a big hit earlier.

They are seemingly playing him as one of the go to guys vs the opposition better players and on the PK extensively.

But yeh, I have watched ~10 of Haggs games and Meltzer is pretty spot on. Though I think his improvement defensively is definitely clear since the start of the year, and you are seeing that in his WJC role.

He is the only >19 year old to play every SHL game this year.

And the only >20 D man to play every game.

Him, Lundberg, Djoos, Nillson, Bystrom and Pettersson are the only regular (20+/30+) D men below 20 years old in the SHL.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
He has been pretty intense vs the Swiss so far, and the pre camp games. He just facewashed a Swiss guy and laid on a big hit earlier.

They are seemingly playing him as one of the go to guys vs the opposition better players and on the PK extensively.

But yeh, I have watched ~10 of Haggs games and Meltzer is pretty spot on. Though I think his improvement defensively is definitely clear since the start of the year, and you are seeing that in his WJC role.

He is the only >19 year old to play every SHL game this year.

And the only >20 D man to play every game.

Him, Lundberg, Djoos, Nillson, Bystrom and Pettersson are the only regular (20+/30+) D men below 20 years old in the SHL.

Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

who needs goal scorers on the wing when you can have guys that can fight and hit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I'm liking Hudson Fasching so far this year, LA's 4th round pick. He's been pretty good for Minnesota (almost a PPG average as a freshmen) & has played well so far in the WJC's. He'll probably have an offer to turn pro after the season.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'm liking Hudson Fasching so far this year, LA's 4th round pick. He's been pretty good for Minnesota (almost a PPG average as a freshmen) & has played well so far in the WJC's. He'll probably have an offer to turn pro after the season.

I always come back to Bjorkstrand for a couple reasons. First, as we were coming to that pick, several of us were calling for him to be selected because he was among the draft day sliders who people were somewhat familiar with. Second, when the Flyers draft board got leaked, Bjorkstrand was the Flyers highest rated player available when they selected.

You can always Monday Morning Quarterback drafts down the road and find late surprises, but this is a case where the fans and the Flyers draft board could have told you who the appropriate selection should have been. It's just an extra kick in the groin to see him playing very well... On the same line as another Flyers prospect.... And signing an ELC already.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I always come back to Bjorkstrand for a couple reasons. First, as we were coming to that pick, several of us were calling for him to be selected because he was among the draft day sliders who people were somewhat familiar with. Second, when the Flyers draft board got leaked, Bjorkstrand was the Flyers highest rated player available when they selected.

You can always Monday Morning Quarterback drafts down the road and find late surprises, but this is a case where the fans and the Flyers draft board could have told you who the appropriate selection should have been. It's just an extra kick in the groin to see him playing very well... On the same line as another Flyers prospect.... And signing an ELC already.

Oh yeah, I was just adding another name into the mix. I don't know where the Flyers had Fasching but he has the size they usually covet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad