OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Again, none of them are good. Of course you would rather have Hurts than any of them as assets. But would you rather have Fulton (or your favorite option) + Bortles or Hurts + your favorite vet CB/S/LB/WR FA for one year? That's the question.

If you want a Minshew approach, you go for an Anthony Gordon. If you want to make a long-term upside play you take a Hurts and I'm fine with it. But don't tell me Hurts is a backup upgrade immediately when the guy couldn't anticipate windows in the Big 12. That's lunacy.

Due to the virus, Hurts will probably be a wash his rookie season, but the same for Fulton et al.

That is, it's unlikely that a draft pick outside the first round will be an immediate contributor if they can't get extended training camps up and running before the season (because they'll miss all the mini-camps). And even the 1st round guys may be less impactful than the norm. Just too much to absorb too fast, you can study film and the playbook, but without the walk throughs et al in the spring, it's not going to sink in as well, and come the fall, everything will be accelerated.

So in many ways you're drafting this year for 2021-22, where you'll almost have two draft classes to integrate in one season.

This isn't ice hockey where there's only a limited amount to absorb, football is probably the mentally most intense sport in the world, NFL schemes are so sophisticated that even high IQ players take time to figure it out.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
re: Fulton and DBs in general. It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles have determined that they can not scout DBs effectively and will let the league scout for them and sign/trade for them when they need them. I'm not sure that is a viable long term strategy but if you told me the Eagles would make 10 picks this week and none would be a corner, I would not have believed you.

I'm sure the big selling point with Hurts was his value as a runner. He was the only QB in the draft that you could consider a "dual threat". I guess there is some comfort knowing if he is unable to fully develop as a passer, you can scheme a gimmicky college offense around him and survive that way. I'd guess their analytical models loved him too and told them they were giving up too much value if they passed on him (in a vacuum of course).

A Florida QB? :eek:

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
Boston Scott is still around right? And I'm cool with Clement always preferred him over smallwood

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If Slay doesn't follow 1s this year, I apologize in advance for the depression I bring into your life.

And if he does, we need to cut him some slack. It's difficult and he's going to get beaten sometimes.
I think Douglas will be ok enough opposite Slay. He cannot run with people, but plays the ball well in the air. Maddox is still a real unknown with all his injuries/time missed/playing other guys ahead of him over the years. If Slay fails, we are screwed anyway.

If Douglas gets some Safety help over the top we wont see what happened when he went up against Diggs with no press coverage, that was asking him to fail (its asking most corners to fail).

It would ALSO be very nice if the defensive line could get some sacks from the outside too.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Due to the virus, Hurts will probably be a wash his rookie season, but the same for Fulton et al.

That is, it's unlikely that a draft pick outside the first round will be an immediate contributor if they can't get extended training camps up and running before the season (because they'll miss all the mini-camps). And even the 1st round guys may be less impactful than the norm. Just too much to absorb too fast, you can study film and the playbook, but without the walk throughs et al in the spring, it's not going to sink in as well, and come the fall, everything will be accelerated.

So in many ways you're drafting this year for 2021-22, where you'll almost have two draft classes to integrate in one season.

This isn't ice hockey where there's only a limited amount to absorb, football is probably the mentally most intense sport in the world, NFL schemes are so sophisticated that even high IQ players take time to figure it out.
Right, in general, football is more scheme and execution of that than raw talent.

In the NBA, if you have 3 athletes who are good shooters you are in the conference finals. If they go somewhere else next year, your team is the worst in the NBA. This sort of thing doesnt happen in the NFL.

The only position (IMO) that is remotely "plug in" in the league is running as a RB, but not the pass protecting component of that position.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
re: Fulton and DBs in general. It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles have determined that they can not scout DBs effectively and will let the league scout for them and sign/trade for them when they need them. I'm not sure that is a viable long term strategy but if you told me the Eagles would make 10 picks this week and none would be a corner, I would not have believed you.
Isn't the talk they are making the 4th rounder a nickel corner?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Isn't the talk they are making the 4th rounder a nickel corner?
I mean he did that at Clemson. Teams go 4 and 5 wide more than ever in college, every safety has to be capable of hanging in the slot. The line between slot corner and safety has never been blurrier. I'm sure they will try him in the box as a LB in sub packages like they did with Jenkins. That's the great thing about him. He gives you a little bit of everything.

Last edited:

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013

I also think it could be the fact they aren’t sure what they have with Jones/Maddox/Leblanc and want to let that shake out this year first.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They added a top nickel corner, and Leblanc looked good there as well, and Maddox is the third option.

Wallace will fill the Jenkins role, where he moves around, box safety, lined up over a slot WR, dropping back into 2 deep coverage, dime backer.

I'd take Jones over Douglas at outside corner, Douglas to me has the perfect skill package for safety, the fact that they haven't moved him there tells me he doesn't have the IQ for the role.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Newton, Flacco, Bortles, Siemian, Kessler, and McCown. None of them are good. McCown may not even want to play again. But all would be more likely to be ready to play in a game than Hurts this year.

Even if you simplified your offense down to a Chip Kelly-esque approach to the playbook, there are still too many optionalities built in for both the offense and the opposing defense to be able to get down to simple. Plus quite frankly, Hurts doesn't have the toolbox to run a conservative passing game right now. He can't hit the window between the LB and a Safety with any sort of consistency because he couldn't anticipate them at the college level. Now you want him to do it up a level with far more complicated reads and tighter windows in Year One.

You're hoping you eventually get Tyrod Taylor out of Hurts. That's a guy that will give you years of being somewhere between the 20th and 40th best QBs in the league and might be cheap enough to keep for an extra year or two beyond his rookie deal. That's not materially different from what Bortles is now with minimal risk at the cost of similarly minimal upside.

I didn't mention Jameis because it sounded like he wanted to be in New Orleans. But he would be a massive upgrade over everyone else on this list if he thought the Eagles could also give him what he wanted on a 1 year deal. I'd choose New Orleans too, but not for football reasons. ;)
I dont believe in making moves based on injuries that have yet to happen.
Howie went full Hinkie with this one. This is the Eagles version of Okafor.
Non-zero chance this guy blows past his draft projections and if that happens then....you have a QB controversy. Yay.
All it does is:
-exacerbate this fanbase's already palpable Wentz anxiety,
-make an average prospect's road even tougher

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
When Wentz is healthy, he is as good of a QB as there is in the game.
In terms of physical dimensions and physical capabilities? Yes.
In terms of mechanical and mental consistency? Absolutely not.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE

I was a moderator on the EMB from the late 1990s to the mid-2000s when I just got tired of the place. TATE was a zoo. I also knew a lot of the people the article writes about. When BRKMSN and I formed The Threadkillers, he created leather jacket avatars for us and the other TKs. Our "battles" with the Mofos and the other "gangs" were some of the most fun I ever had on a message board. CaliforniaEagle (Pat) was one of my best friends and it crushed me when he died. Then, there was Blitzy. Even Spadaro had a thing for her.

Memories...

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Dillard will be a back up in title only...Peters is normally pulled by half time every game anyway. With that being said, I’ll take him back to help coach up the young guys

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Dillard will be a back up in title only...Peters is normally pulled by half time every game anyway. With that being said, I’ll take him back to help coach up the young guys

You mean the guy that knows he’s only going to play a few plays before pulling himself yet still takes up all of the reps during practice is going to coach up people?

Nah.

Fire Peters.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->