OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They basically killed the onside kick in the NFL currently with the rule changes. The odds of recovering a kick these days are remote. They’re not going to go back either as it was done for safety reasons.

So I get their trying to find ways to give the would be kicking team more of a chance elsewhere.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
They basically killed the onside kick in the NFL currently with the rule changes. The odds of recovering a kick these days are remote. They’re not going to go back either as it was done for safety reasons.

So I get their trying to find ways to give the would be kicking team more of a chance elsewhere.

Yeah, I thought I saw the onside kick recovery percentage was no higher than 5% last season, and I think even that may be high. Without being able to get a running start and being restricted to having 5 players on each side of the kicker, there's just no way to recover the ball.

I think I'd increase it to 4th and 20 though.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, I thought I saw the onside kick recovery percentage was no higher than 5% last season, and I think even that may be high. Without being able to get a running start and being restricted to having 5 players on each side of the kicker, there's just no way to recover the ball.

To be fair, I believe the rationale was 4th and 15 from your own 25, so if you don't convert, you're basically giving away another 3 points, minimum.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah it’s not even a fighting chance anymore. Making a 4th & 15-20 yard first down is still unlikely but a fighting chance something like in 15-20% or whatever of success rate.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
4th & 15 conversions are in the 15-17% range depending on which time period you choose. The NFL likes to quote it at 16.8%. If you take the high end of that range, you're at a ~4% increase over non-surprise Onside Kicks before the rule changes that made them so difficult.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
NFL tweaks single header rule, allowing more games on CBS and FOX - ProFootballTalk

Paving the way for more games to air on local CBS and FOX affiliates, the NFL has tweaked its single header protection rule, which required home teams playing on Sunday afternoons to be the only game on local TV.

The rule was initially created at a time when the NFL also employed the blackout rule that required a game to be sold out 72 hours before kickoff to be televised in local markets. The rule harkens back to a day when teams relied on ticket sales and worried that fans wouldn’t attend games if they could just stay home and watch for free.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I count at least 10 fireable offenses in the first round alone. Think of the entertainment provided if we actually had one of these.

Many are of the expected variety, such as every non-QB taken before 22-25ish, but even the QB order is ridiculous in places.

There's a distinct lack of K in this first round draft, as well.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

I count at least 10 fireable offenses in the first round alone. Think of the entertainment provided if we actually had one of these.

Many are of the expected variety, such as every non-QB taken before 22-25ish, but even the QB order is ridiculous in places.

If this were any place but ESPN, I'd suggest viewing the exercise as a soft purge to inform management which clueless writers need not be renewed. But we live in a world of clicks!

Imagine putting your name on a draft where you don't pick the best available QB at #5 and have to sweat it out until your next pick at #60. I guess Cousins is good value in the third round? Maybe? The rules were set so a QB had to be taken in the first three rounds, and at that point in real life, might as well wait a few more.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If this were any place but ESPN, I'd suggest viewing the exercise as a soft purge to inform management which clueless writers need not be renewed. But we live in a world of clicks!

Imagine putting your name on a draft where you don't pick the best available QB at #5 and have to sweat it out until your next pick at #60. I guess Cousins is good value in the third round? Maybe? The rules were set so a QB had to be taken in the first three rounds, and at that point in real life, might as well wait a few more.

I read this because I wanted to see exactly how bad the rationale was. I have to pull this section out because it's peerless.

Drafted by David Newton, Panthers reporter
Round 1 (7):
Joey Bosa, DE
Round 2 (58): DeForest Buckner, DE
Round 3 (71): Jarrett Stidham, QB
Round 4 (122): Jedrick Wills Jr., OT
I made up my mind before the draft that if my top four QBs were gone at No. 7, I would go with the best defensive player. If you're going to win in this league you'd better be able to create pressure, and Bosa does. And with the wild run of quarterbacks in the first round and into the second, I opted to continue building my roster from the inside out on defense and around pressuring the quarterback with Buckner.
Re-drafted NFL rosters: All 128 picks »
Experts react to our NFL re-draft »
The key to my draft ultimately will be Stidham. To help him, I took Wills -- the 10th overall pick of the 2020 NFL draft -- in the fourth round. You can fill in receivers and running backs with average talents, but look at most Super Bowl teams and you'll find a solid interior core with a lot of high draft picks. I also chose to build the roster around players 26 or younger to get the best years of their careers. If Stidham is the real deal, I'll see you in the Super Bowl. -- Newton

"I made up my mind to not take QB5, but here's why 71OA, wasn't even good at Auburn Jarrett Stidham is the key to everything." THIS ISN'T THAT HARD.

You need to be drafting players who warp things schematically around them. You get average NFL players everywhere else, which means any OL picks are diminished in efficacy. There are only a few reasonable ways to try this. In the first, it's any good QB you can get that you think will play all 5 years > any good QB that won't play the 5 years > you've already lost so take a Punter if you want.

Your other picks need to include a downfield receiving threat of some sort. Elite pass rushers or coverage LBs are fine, but only truly elite. Beyond that, you're taking Corners and Safeties who can play Single High. That's it. Double up with BPA in one of those areas and you're golden.

Plus look at how many rookies are taken and where they go. Lamb and Jeudy go before Amari Cooper, Diggs, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Sutton, Golladay, Robinson, McLaurin, etc. That's not how any of this works!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I read this because I wanted to see exactly how bad the rationale was. I have to pull this section out because it's peerless.

"I made up my mind to not take QB5, but here's why 71OA, wasn't even good at Auburn Jarrett Stidham is the key to everything." THIS ISN'T THAT HARD.

You need to be drafting players who warp things schematically around them. You get average NFL players everywhere else, which means any OL picks are diminished in efficacy. There are only a few reasonable ways to try this. In the first, it's any good QB you can get that you think will play all 5 years > any good QB that won't play the 5 years > you've already lost so take a Punter if you want.

Your other picks need to include a downfield receiving threat of some sort. Elite pass rushers or coverage LBs are fine, but only truly elite. Beyond that, you're taking Corners and Safeties who can play Single High. That's it. Double up with BPA in one of those areas and you're golden.

Plus look at how many rookies are taken and where they go. Lamb and Jeudy go before Amari Cooper, Diggs, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Sutton, Golladay, Robinson, McLaurin, etc. That's not how any of this works!

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you. Your passion for the NFL stuff is phenomenal, and i always get great laughs-- see the bolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad