OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Eagles Defeat Bills 23-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Ah yes, the good old get rid of the coach approach and speaking in absolutes about a player never winning anything when he's looked quite well over the past 8 weeks.

We have gotten worse every year instead of better under this coach and it looks like he has no plan at all when you look at what he has done with the offense. He took a top offense and turned it into a turd. The defense has gotten better but some of the decisions being made are still stupid. Like sticking with Davis as a the DC, signing Maxwell to be a shutdown corner when most people were saying he was a product of playin in Seattle, and continuing to think he can let his defense be on the field for 40 minutes every game and win games late in the season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd also be willing to try one of Kap, RG3, or Manziel for a year to see how well they could play in chips system since I don't think he is going anywhere. The last thing you want to do is give an average to below average QB a medium or long term contract. Then you are stuck with a bum at QB and stuck in the middle of the draft instead of picking toward the top.

That's how I look at it. Kap and RG3 are guaranteed to be jettisoned by their teams one way or another (cut or traded). Manziel has played well in his limited opportunity this season, and I am not sure if the Browns are going to cut ties if he plays well to end the year. All three of them should be considered at least as potential options. Bradford is a good QB. Don't get me wrong. If they bring him back I won't be disappointed (though I wouldn't want a long-term deal because of the injury potential). If they let him walk and go with an open competition, it could pay dividends. Chip's offense isn't going to be what we want it to be if he doesn't have the QB to run it the way it should be run. We've seen guys have success who can't run the ball, but there is just so much more potential having a true threat for the read option, or even just to scramble if need be. Foles was not a runner. Bradord is better on his feet than Foles, but he's nothing special. Vick was a good runner but his throwing wasn't great at that point, and IIRC the knock against him was inability to read the blitzes and effectively operate the hurry up offense.

Is RG3, Kap, or Manziel the answer? No idea. What we do know is that Bradford is kind of in the same spot as Foles. Solid QB, but nothing great and not necessarily the best fit for Chip's system. Are we winning a SB with Bradford in the next five years? I'd bet against it. Are we winning one with RG3, Kap, or Manziel? I'd probably bet against that too, but at least there you have the hope that one of those guys (or I suppose a rookie or other potential candidate I haven't considered) can really execute this offense with the ability to move around more.

I wanted to roll the dice on Mariota and give up everything to get him. I wouldn't do that for one of these three options, but I would roll the dice on them in the sense that giving them a chance is rolling the dice.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Here's the plan

-Re-sign Bradford to a 3 year deal and no more than that
-Draft a project QB in the 3rd or 4th round (Kessler, Prescott, Boykin)
-Get rid of Sanchez

This is the safest route to go. They've got too many other needs to use their 1st rounder on a QB.

this would be ideal
but I don't think Bradford will sign a short-term deal
of all and any available options, I am most intrigued by RGIII...

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
this would be ideal
but I don't think Bradford will sign a short-term deal
of all and any available options, I am most intrigued by RGIII...
I'm not yet sure if I want Bradford back, but the beauty of NFL contracts is you can easily get out of just about any deal after two years if the player isn't pulling his weight. The contracts are mostly fluff.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I would much rather stick with Bradford than take any of the Kaep, RG3, or Manziel castoffs from terrible teams.

Also, to the people thinking that losing out is the best bet, look at the worst teams in the NFL! Plenty of them get high picks and still can't turn it around. It isn't a guarantee

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I hope the Eagles can make the playoffs so we can see how Bradford plays in an "important game."

The last time he played a do-or-die game in St. Louis he **** the bed. I'm still indecisive if I want him back on the team or not, until then.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I'd also be willing to try one of Kap, RG3, or Manziel for a year to see how well they could play in chips system since I don't think he is going anywhere. The last thing you want to do is give an average to below average QB a medium or long term contract. Then you are stuck with a bum at QB and stuck in the middle of the draft instead of picking toward the top.

I don't understand the fans love affair with those guys. Any of those options are severe downgrade at the QB position over Bradford. I understand they may be better scheme fits but are all terribly flawed QBs which would result in the team taking a significant step back next season.

The option to find a better scheme fit is thru the draft IMO. Unless Washington or SF just hands you RG3 or Kap and they can sit behind Bradford for a few years.

I personally think Kapernick is who he is. I have never been too impressed by his smarts and ability to be a quality NFL QB. RG3 has some interesting tools but I don't think Washington will remotely entertain the idea of having to face him twice a season.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'm not yet sure if I want Bradford back, but the beauty of NFL contracts is you can easily get out of just about any deal after two years if the player isn't pulling his weight. The contracts are mostly fluff.
true, good point
I don't understand the fans love affair with those guys. Any of those options are severe downgrade at the QB position over Bradford.
he's still 30th in the league in total QBR
only 2 regular starters are worse...

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
he's still 30th in the league in total QBR
only 2 regular starters are worse...

I am pretty sure if we took Sam Bradford's numbers from second Dallas game onwards he would not be 30th in the league in QBR

Its unfair to evaluate Bradford the early season Bradford when he was two years remove from a knee injury, new scheme, limited preseason snaps and facing some tough defenses early (ATL, NYJ, DAL)

I am not making excuses for the guy but it is clear he has been a different player since midseason.

Does that make him the long term solution? I don't know. But I am comfortable in saying he makes a better solution than those guys.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
While Cam has definitely become a media darling this year, he IS having a really nice season. No one is more valuable to their team than him. Panthers receivers are worse than the Eagles receivers.

Who deserves MVP if not him?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Why because they are undefeated? His stats are good but there's about 10 qbs on the league with better.

If it were up to me it would be gronkowski

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
But if ever there were a year to take the literal meaning of MVP, this would be it. An undefeated team, thats the highest scoring team, with a worse surrounding offensive cast from when they were under .500 last season.

That defense is good, but theyve been pretty good for a couple of years.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I do understand and appreciate the rankings. I think a lot of Bradford's problems came from the first 4 games of the season. the last 4 games, I think he's looked like a different player.
he's been quite good over the last 4 games
but...blake bortles is the highest rated QB in the league over the past 4 games
I'm excited to see bradford over these next 3 games

cam has been great this year-he's making timely, clutch plays and he's clearly THE leader of that team

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not the biggest football fan but long time Eagles fan. Was wondering what do they do about the WR position for next year and beyond? Just seems like every game at least 2-3 passes are dropped, do they go for another 1st round WR like last year although I think they should be looking at improving the OL first, or is there a FA they could bring in or perhaps a trade?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
not the biggest football fan but long time Eagles fan. Was wondering what do they do about the WR position for next year and beyond? Just seems like every game at least 2-3 passes are dropped, do they go for another 1st round WR like last year although I think they should be looking at improving the OL first, or is there a FA they could bring in or perhaps a trade?

I'd say hold off on WR until the later rounds unless they have a shot at a bigger name guy. My reading of this draft is that there's probably 3-4 1st round talents depending on who you ask, then the dropoff isn't that too far with the next set of guys. You can probably grab a bigger position of need in the first and get a WR in the 3rd/4th that won't be a superstar but may be able to make an impact.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd say hold off on WR until the later rounds unless they have a shot at a bigger name guy. My reading of this draft is that there's probably 3-4 1st round talents depending on who you ask, then the dropoff isn't that too far with the next set of guys. You can probably grab a bigger position of need in the first and get a WR in the 3rd/4th that won't be a superstar but may be able to make an impact.

makes sense, but wouldn't they still need to add another WR, as I thought I read somewhere that Cooper might be gone next year since he makes too much for what he brings but I could be wrong.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
makes sense, but wouldn't they still need to add another WR, as I thought I read somewhere that Cooper might be gone next year since he makes too much for what he brings but I could be wrong.

I'm sure they'll bring in someone either way. There really aren't that many big name guys I don't think. There are some guys I'd be interested in like Mohammed Sanu, Brian Quick, Darius Heyward-Bey, Travis Benjamin, and maybe take a shot at Alshon Jeffrey, who is probably the #1 guy out there. I don't know if these guys are unrestricted or if they'll be re-signed, but if they are available I'd go after one of them. Heyward-Bey or Benjamin could be interesting in this offense because of his speed. Good deep threats. Sanu and Quick could be nice to replace Cooper if he's gone because of their size. Goot red-zone targets.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Anyone looking for tickets for Sunday night? I have two tickets in section M13 that I'm just looking to get back what I paid, which is $200 for both tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->