OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Draft Month (First Round - April 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Glad the Eagles didn't end up getting Julio and that he's out of our conference.

Loved breaking the news to my Browns & Steelers buddies ::evil smirk::

Now go sign Steve Nelson

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No chance. Too much for how old he is and how oft injured he is. That's DeAndre Hopkins kind of return and I don't think they're in the same value ballpark anymore.
I mean they aren't in the same ballpark I will agree with that, but that trade was a little different involving another good roster player. I also think that people fixate so much on "value" and whether or not it is an overpayment or a good deal or a steal. Obviously, you want to get the best deal, but you also want to field the best team. This team's WRs are at best unproven, and at worst, the worst in the league. Is it an "overpayment" on paper? Yeah probably a little, but does it make our team better (and better than it would be with those picks on our team next year)? Yes. It isn't out of the question that Jones comes in and plays at a high level. And even if he doesn't, he improves the team and makes life easier on our young receivers. A second and a fourth for Jones and a sixth is essentially Jones for a second (I know a 6th doesn't equal a 4th, but from a statistical standpoint the difference is pretty minuscule and regardless of who is drafting and scouting, it is a lottery ticket at either selection). The bigger problem is the salary cap and I don't really know how the NFL cap works so if that was a barrier then that's a different story.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I mean they aren't in the same ballpark I will agree with that, but that trade was a little different involving another good roster player. I also think that people fixate so much on "value" and whether or not it is an overpayment or a good deal or a steal. Obviously, you want to get the best deal, but you also want to field the best team. This team's WRs are at best unproven, and at worst, the worst in the league. Is it an "overpayment" on paper? Yeah probably a little, but does it make our team better (and better than it would be with those picks on our team next year)? Yes. It isn't out of the question that Jones comes in and plays at a high level. And even if he doesn't, he improves the team and makes life easier on our young receivers. A second and a fourth for Jones and a sixth is essentially Jones for a second (I know a 6th doesn't equal a 4th, but from a statistical standpoint the difference is pretty minuscule and regardless of who is drafting and scouting, it is a lottery ticket at either selection). The bigger problem is the salary cap and I don't really know how the NFL cap works so if that was a barrier then that's a different story.

Aside from the picks, salary, his injuries, etc....I'd rather not make the deal purely because I want to see what the WRs we have do. I'm curious to see what Smith and Rhaegor as #1 and #2 end up making happen.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Aside from the picks, salary, his injuries, etc....I'd rather not make the deal purely because I want to see what the WRs we have do. I'm curious to see what Smith and Rhaegor as #1 and #2 end up making happen.
The salary to me was the biggest concern, and that's most likely something they could have gotten around. I too want to see how Reagor and Smith work out as 1/2, but without a known threat they can focus on Smith (who is presumably the best WR on the team) and make Reagor beat them, which he couldn't with great success last year. Obviously if Smith can overcome that, then we know we have a superstar on our hands, but for a young kid who is going to be at a size/strength disadvantage, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. And that's not really a knock on Smith or thinking he isn't good or isn't going to be good, but if he is our only offensive threat then we have a problem. If we had someone like Jones who even if he isn't a #1 still commands real attention that makes Smith better or at least more impactful either on the outside with Reagor in the slot or vice versa.

To me, giving up a second for the chance to have that is well worth it. You also have to figure that the success of Smith/Reagor will be tied to Hurts with regard to where the team goes moving forward. If they can't make noise on offense I would imagine that Hurts is gone next year because they will be picking high enough to grab a top tier QB. Giving Hurts the best chance to succeed is as important as giving Smith and Reagor the chance to succeed. I don't think that Jones or no Jones is the difference between a SB contender or that the team is screwed without him or anything like that, but for the price I would have taken the chance.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I got to be honest. First off, Julio Jones is a first ballot Hall of Famer. A great person.

But...he's showing signs of decline.

The Titans aren't getting prime Julio. They are getting a step below that. And Tannehill isn't as good as Ryan.

I'm glad the Eagles didn't mortgage the future for him. We are a few years away from SB contention.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Julio is in undeniably in decline, but he's still a pretty damn good WR. Injuries and the contract are really the concern. He's been dinged up even when playing. I would add that the Eagles' timeline isn't right for this type of move, but that has nothing to do with the player.

Instead of talking in generalities, think of it this way: How many WRs are you sure you'd take over a healthy 2021 Julio? How many do you prefer but can see the argument for preferring Jones?

FWIW I've got 3 positives and 3 maybes.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Julio is in undeniably in decline, but he's still a pretty damn good WR. Injuries and the contract are really the concern. He's been dinged up even when playing. I would add that the Eagles' timeline isn't right for this type of move, but that has nothing to do with the player.

Instead of talking in generalities, think of it this way: How many WRs are you sure you'd take over a healthy 2021 Julio? How many do you prefer but can see the argument for preferring Jones?

FWIW I've got 3 positives and 3 maybes.

For fun...These are the only 3 I can say for sure I'd take over Julio in 2021 (healthy)

1. D-Hop
2. Tyreek Hill
3. Davante Adams

Maybes...

1. Justin Jefferson (ouch)
2. DK Metcalf (ouch again)
3. Michael Thomas

Julio is certainly a terrific player - but it's somewhat like you said: timeline just isn't right for what you're giving up and the salary.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For fun...These are the only 3 I can say for sure I'd take over Julio in 2021 (healthy)

1. D-Hop
2. Tyreek Hill
3. Davante Adams

Maybes...

1. Justin Jefferson (ouch)
2. DK Metcalf (ouch again)
3. Michael Thomas

Julio is certainly a terrific player - but it's somewhat like you said: timeline just isn't right for what you're giving up and the salary.

We agree on all 3 of the former and disagree on all 3 of the latter. :laugh:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
1/3 but the other two absolutely rule too. Great choices.

Brown, Diggs, ARob in whatever order.

Diggs had 166 targets in the regular season last year for u fantasy guys thats nutz . Ur guy Shenault is being pumped up as a sleeper breakout candidate by some fantasy "experts"

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad