OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Draft Month (First Round - April 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Renner has been hyping up Emory Jones for a bit now. Can't say I've seen it, but he hasn't had much opportunity to throw the ball.
It's the same thing with Malik Willis, and I should mention that I'm a Liberty football alum from way back in the 90's, and I don't see it at least not at #15. Great athlete, ankle-breaking runner, sloppy-at-best quarterback -- you can picture a smaller Cam Newton. Unfortunately, I think a lot of these writers are trying to find the next Patrick Mahomes so they push up strong-armed, athletic quarterbacks without factoring in decision making.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At the high school & college levels there just aren’t a whole lot of classic drop back QB’s coming up any more. As the standard of athleticism/mobility for the position is much higher than it used to be.

It’s gotten to the point that even these high school recruiting sites are starting to consider dropping the the “Dual Threat/Pro Style” classifications in their rankings & just going with a unified QB classification as they’re basically becoming hard to differentiate with where the game is today.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Somehow QBs like Brady and Brees (and Peyton a few years ago) manage to be successful without being able to break a 5.0 in the 40.
Rivers and Big Ben weren't much faster.

In fact, the less mobile QBs outnumber the athletes at the top of the QB pyramid, you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Can someone sumarize for a german uninformed eagles fan what they have done since wentz got traded? I stopped reading here after that happened.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Somehow QBs like Brady and Brees (and Peyton a few years ago) manage to be successful without being able to break a 5.0 in the 40.
Rivers and Big Ben weren't much faster.

In fact, the less mobile QBs outnumber the athletes at the top of the QB pyramid, you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson.

You seem to have a real problem differentiating between "past" or "present" and "future."

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
If you are refering to me. Yes iam bad in that regard. But iam also bad in every other regard when it come to the english language. But i love the language and the sport. So ou need to learn to love me 2. Cause iam an authentic fan and your biggest supporter Cap:naughty:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You seem to have a real problem differentiating between "past" or "present" and "future."

Mobile QBs aren't something new if you're an Eagles fan - Cunningham, McNabb, Vick.
The idea that they've revolutionized the game, or the RPO and spread concepts are something new and unique, is a media myth.
The "chuck and duck" was around decades ago, Air Coryell, the "greatest show on turf", all the WCO variants.

It still comes down to split second decision making, vision, anticipation and accuracy.

Running a 4.4 40 is a nice additional skill, as is being able to throw 50 yards across your body, but without the above you just have a glorified, strong armed RB at QB, Michael Vick was a better Lamar Jackson. Cunningham didn't learn to play QB until he went to Minnesota and tore up the league.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For the life of me, I have no idea what HCs see in Tebow.
I mean, if you want a QB who runs like a FB and is an erratic passer, you could have just picked up Sam Ehlinger from Texas.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
For the life of me, I have no idea what HCs see in Tebow.
I mean, if you want a QB who runs like a FB and is an erratic passer, you could have just picked up Sam Ehlinger from Texas.
Is it something to do with like ticket sales or media coverage for the Jags? You'd think with Trevor Lawrence they don't need that but maybe they do? Florida boy comes home to Florida?

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Is it something to do with like ticket sales or media coverage for the Jags? You'd think with Trevor Lawrence they don't need that but maybe they do? Florida boy comes home to Florida?

It’s probably because of Urban Meyer who Tebow played for at Florida. Maybe for leadership qualities…or maybe just looking out for him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It’s probably because of Urban Meyer who Tebow played for at Florida. Maybe for leadership qualities…or maybe just looking out for him.
But that doesn't even make sense. Hire him as a coach at that point. He's 34 and hasn't played in almost ten years. I cannot imagine a single player looking to him for leadership in that locker room but I would imagine there might be some resentment, especially if he takes a job or snaps from someone else.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Mobile QBs aren't something new if you're an Eagles fan - Cunningham, McNabb, Vick.
The idea that they've revolutionized the game, or the RPO and spread concepts are something new and unique, is a media myth.
The "chuck and duck" was around decades ago, Air Coryell, the "greatest show on turf", all the WCO variants.

It still comes down to split second decision making, vision, anticipation and accuracy.

Running a 4.4 40 is a nice additional skill, as is being able to throw 50 yards across your body, but without the above you just have a glorified, strong armed RB at QB, Michael Vick was a better Lamar Jackson. Cunningham didn't learn to play QB until he went to Minnesota and tore up the league.
Randall had 2 mvp runner up seasons under his belt before he went to minny. He knew how to play qb at a hof level

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Randall had 2 mvp runner up seasons under his belt before he went to minny. He knew how to play qb at a hof level

No, he didn't. Buddy told him to make six plays a game and the defense would do the rest.
Randall was a great athlete, and made some amazing plays (the TD pass against the Giants on MNF when Banks hit him at the 20)

But he never really learned how to read a defense or master the basics of playing QB.

One thing that also set back Randall's development:

"Following his stint as head coach for the San Diego State Aztecs, Scovil worked as the quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL), where he was credited with developing Randall Cunningham, until his death from a heart attack at Veterans Stadium during the 1989 season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad