OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Draft Month (First Round - April 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Like Chris Long said yesterday, he would have just said “nah, I’m good.” The idea that someone needs to be competitive about everything is just wrong.

If a guy doesn’t care to get competitive in a game of rock, paper, scissors over zoom that doesn’t mean he isn’t competitive.

It probably means he's well-adjusted, especially compared to the meathead coach. Also, I am looking forward to your pick.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Like Chris Long said yesterday, he would have just said “nah, I’m good.” The idea that someone needs to be competitive about everything is just wrong.

If a guy doesn’t care to get competitive in a game of rock, paper, scissors over zoom that doesn’t mean he isn’t competitive.
But if he does decide to get competitive in a game of RPS, maybe he's the most competitive man in the world and an absolute must draft prospect. :laugh:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think that's the point. He wanted to see who would get competitive over a simple game of RPS without being told to get all into it. Doesn't make it any less weird though.

I get that it's the point - I suppose my counter is that:

It's a really weird way to measure that aspect of a personality. I think it's unlikely to yield any results that are useful and even if someone acts like they're into it, it's all an act anyway. You're not going to extract pure competitive nature from these guys in an interview, IMO.

I'll give him a brownie point for trying something I've never heard of, but it reminds me of Kapler's out of the box idea of using a curveball pitching machine: no one is going to take it seriously at the pro level.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Unless he's making them doing it with a gun pointed at them, I'm not sure how he made that game of rock-paper-scissors as intense as he'd want
That's the point. The more competitive guys will make it (or the result) intense. That's why you try it. When picking a jury I can't ask people who they voted for in the last election or if they are religious, etc but I can ask them to name three people they'd like to have dinner with and their answers can shed light on their leanings on things.

You can't tell if someone is competitive by asking them, but if you beat them at a simple (or they beat you) or want to play more if they lose, etc. you can get a feel for it. I'm certain he isn't deciding his draft picks based on whether or not these kids were good at rock-paper-scissors.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That's the point. The more competitive guys will make it (or the result) intense. That's why you try it. When picking a jury I can't ask people who they voted for in the last election or if they are religious, etc but I can ask them to name three people they'd like to have dinner with and their answers can shed light on their leanings on things.

You can't tell if someone is competitive by asking them, but if you beat them at a simple (or they beat you) or want to play more if they lose, etc. you can get a feel for it. I'm certain he isn't deciding his draft picks based on whether or not these kids were good at rock-paper-scissors.

I get what he's trying to do. What I'm saying is, I don't think anyone will find that game competitive in an interview setting. Like, zero players.

So I'm saying it's a pointless task to measure competitive attitude by playing that game.

Ike Reese on WIP this afternoon said he got a bunch of texts from former Eagles clowning Siranni for this idea. They're all totally right...just can't take that kind of thing very seriously at this level.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think people read way too much into this, Sirianni was just giving an example of trying to elucidate details about a player's personality.
As one reporter pointed out, would you prefer he talk in "coach speak?"

Former players can scoff, their career is over and they have their bank accounts.
Young players better take it seriously.

Of course, most of you are too young to remember George Hegamin and the blocking sled.

As long as Sirianni is himself, if he's genuinely one of those guys wired a little higher than most, his players won't be bothered, it's the fake 'rah rah' guys who get tuned out. If he's just an enthusiastic guy who loves football and puts as much energy into little things like proper technique as much as trying to show he's smarter than everyone else, it may well be contagious. Practicing the little things (proper footwork, how to use your hands, etc) is boring, so is coaching these things, but repetition builds muscle memory, and a coach that can get players to buy into working on those things will have a better team.

My theory is with the advent of digital film, editing is so easy that nothing can be hide for more than a game or two in the NFL (and other sports). So the real edge is coaching up talent (building an edge with the same resources) and execution on game day (everyone knew what Lombardi was going to run but that didn't help them stop it). Media love to talk about creative coaches who have brilliant schemes, but any innovation now goes viral in a matter of weeks, not years.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think people read way too much into this, Sirianni was just giving an example of trying to elucidate details about a player's personality.
As one reporter pointed out, would you prefer he talk in "coach speak?"

Former players can scoff, their career is over and they have their bank accounts.
Young players better take it seriously.

Of course, most of you are too young to remember George Hegamin and the blocking sled.

As long as Sirianni is himself, if he's genuinely one of those guys wired a little higher than most, his players won't be bothered, it's the fake 'rah rah' guys who get tuned out. If he's just an enthusiastic guy who loves football and puts as much energy into little things like proper technique as much as trying to show he's smarter than everyone else, it may well be contagious. Practicing the little things (proper footwork, how to use your hands, etc) is boring, so is coaching these things, but repetition builds muscle memory, and a coach that can get players to buy into working on those things will have a better team.

My theory is with the advent of digital film, editing is so easy that nothing can be hide for more than a game or two in the NFL (and other sports). So the real edge is coaching up talent (building an edge with the same resources) and execution on game day (everyone knew what Lombardi was going to run but that didn't help them stop it). Media love to talk about creative coaches who have brilliant schemes, but any innovation now goes viral in a matter of weeks, not years.

Everything is easier to pull off when you're winning, but I do worry about using such a performative approach with vets in what likely won't be a particularly successful season on the field. Hopefully he has that much awareness. I'm not concerned about how he speaks in a presser at all, so I'll wait to see.

Hegamin was a particularly easy stand to take because he left the team after being demoted. Andy leveraged it brilliantly, but he also didn't invent the issue. The guy inarguably quit.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@flyershockey I think I flipped on Stokes and Campbell. I still think Campbell was a little better last year, but when I sat down and did it properly, it wasn't in ways I value highly going forward. Then Campbell's testing wasn't as good as I expected. He's probably like a 4th rounder to me now.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Everything is easier to pull off when you're winning, but I do worry about using such a performative approach with vets in what likely won't be a particularly successful season on the field. Hopefully he has that much awareness. I'm not concerned about how he speaks in a presser at all, so I'll wait to see.

Hegamin was a particularly easy stand to take because he left the team after being demoted. Andy leveraged it brilliantly, but he also didn't invent the issue. The guy inarguably quit.

That's a big fear of mine. Purely from the limited info we have (which is quite limited), I'm gleaning that Sirianni is about high energy and a bit of performance (as you well said) with his coaching. That can work, of course, but I'm fearful he's going to seem foolish rather than calculated to these players (vets and rookies alike) especially during a likely 5-win season coming up. I think if you want to gauge competitive nature, watch some tape.

I'm also aware I/Philly are hammering Siranni over this so much because no one trusts our ability to evaluate player talent on the top-end of the draft (back-end has been okay, IMO) so if this is one of our top, new methods of assessment...let's just say I'm not very confident.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I get what he's trying to do. What I'm saying is, I don't think anyone will find that game competitive in an interview setting. Like, zero players.

So I'm saying it's a pointless task to measure competitive attitude by playing that game.

Ike Reese on WIP this afternoon said he got a bunch of texts from former Eagles clowning Siranni for this idea. They're all totally right...just can't take that kind of thing very seriously at this level.
You don't think an ultra competitive person would show more than someone that isn't as competitive in that situation? I have seen people who are competitive spend a lot of money on stupid things like carnival games or stupid office or school competitions.

What is an acceptable way to gauge something like competitiveness? Or is that not something he should be trying to figure out? What should these coaches do during an interview?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You don't think an ultra competitive person would show more than someone that isn't as competitive in that situation? I have seen people who are competitive spend a lot of money on stupid things like carnival games or stupid office or school competitions.

What is an acceptable way to gauge something like competitiveness? Or is that not something he should be trying to figure out? What should these coaches do during an interview?

Watch tape

What should these coaches do during an interview?

Ask questions like what their motivations are in life, goals in football, how they handle team conflict, what they think of the franchise, strengths/weaknesses of the self, ask if they'd ever switch positions if a team needed it, what their biggest influence is, learn about their life a bit, etc.

That's just how I see it. Sirianni's game won't ruin the process I'm sure - but I think it's a bit silly.

Reactions: IronMarshal

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Watch tape

Ask questions like what their motivations are in life, goals in football, how they handle team conflict, what they think of the franchise, strengths/weaknesses of the self, ask if they'd ever switch positions if a team needed it, what their biggest influence is, learn about their life a bit, etc.

That's just how I see it. Sirianni's game won't ruin the process I'm sure - but I think it's a bit silly.

Are you suggesting that he hasn't (or isn't or won't) done these things?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I'm doing a cute animal counter this year. If they have a good floofer chances are they probably won't bust. If they don't, they will bust and they should fire any PR firm they hired and/or disassociate with family and friends for ruining a genius marketing chance.

Rousseau attending is terrifying. I think it's the one possible pick at 12 that would make me more angry than Barnett did.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
@flyershockey I think I flipped on Stokes and Campbell. I still think Campbell was a little better last year, but when I sat down and did it properly, it wasn't in ways I value highly going forward. Then Campbell's testing wasn't as good as I expected. He's probably like a 4th rounder to me now.
I can dig it. I think Campbell should have stayed for his senior year. I'm guessing you question his ball skills? In his defense, Warren had the CB's in trail technique routinely, which isn't going to get you a lot of highlights.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I can dig it. I think Campbell should have stayed for his senior year. I'm guessing you question his ball skills? In his defense, Warren had the CB's in trail technique routinely, which isn't going to get you a lot of highlights.

Yep, that's a big part of it. He was either in Press or Off Zone and trailing. That's just how it is. I love his patience. He's almost up there with Surtain in that aspect to me. I love the way he stays square on in-breaking routes from the outside. But his testing is very concerning.

What happened with Deandre Baker where the hip stiffness and slow change of direction looked like a fatal flaw has scared me off early on all of these guys. I was hoping Campbell would test well in the Shuttle and 3-Cone to give me some hope. Both were absolutely horrendous.

Ew8-B8NW8AQnP0h

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watch tape

Problem is agents coach these players to give the "right" answers.
Which is why you want to throw "knuckleballs" in interviews that they haven't rehearsed their answers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't buy the "they're raping your sister and mother" talks that Ray Rhodes was famous for, that wears off quickly.

I'm thinking more about those hot days in August, when young players are doing drills and can't see the point, when the energizer bunny coach comes bouncing up, and gives the kid an example from a game where a WR didn't properly use his hands to beat press coverage and resulted in an interception. The kid is taken back, but goes back into the drill with more focus, knowing his HC is taking note of every drill.

I don't think Sirianni is dumb enough to think there's a point in pushing it on 10 year veterans, though if he's a smart HC, he'll point out veterans making those basic mistakes in film room, to make it clear that 10 years experience making the same mistakes isn't a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad