OT: Philadelphia Eagles: 2019 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If we sign him, I wouldn't draft the RB with the 1st pick. We have Major holes at CB Safety and LEFT TACKLE most important.
I didn’t mean with the 1st rounder. One of the 2 second rounders.

I think they really like mailata. I don’t think they want to pick an OT early now with Peters here. If mailata flops then early next year I could see for sure. Jenkins and McLeod are your two starting safeties and IIRC they like Maddox as a safety as well.

Linebacker I believe is a big need. They don’t value them as much as other teams.

Still think we see DT/DE with the first rounder. Then a RB with one of the second rounders. The third pick in the top 60 is the wild card.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I didn’t mean with the 1st rounder. One of the 2 second rounders.

I think they really like mailata. I don’t think they want to pick an OT early now with Peters here. If mailata flops then early next year I could see for sure. Jenkins and McLeod are your two starting safeties and IIRC they like Maddox as a safety as well.

Linebacker I believe is a big need. They don’t value them as much as other teams.

Still think we see DT/DE with the first rounder. Then a RB with one of the second rounders. The third pick in the top 60 is the wild card.

Peters is breaking down. He believes he can play but his body is breaking down. He now gets about 3 false starts a game. Layne is not comfortable at the LT side. It's easier to get a RT then LT. With QB and DE DT going early in First round. There is a chance for a very solid LT to fall at our spot. I'd also use a 3rd or 4th on another Tackle or Guard with Wisnewski gone and Brooks out to start the year.

Outside of QB, the O line is the most important part in football and it starts with the LT and anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know football.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m not arguing LT isn’t the most important position behind QB on offense. I just don’t think they will draft a LT with their depth there with Peters coming back.

Another young DE or DT to rotate in the defensive line seems like a logical choice.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd much rather we go for a guy like Johnson or Crowell to work in tandem with Clement and a rookie. Those two are ideal since they won't effect comp picks (could be a 3 & 4 between Foles/Hicks, as long as one of our other free agents gets signed - maybe even more if Darby gets a decent AAV on a single year deal). Howard would work the same way but I'd prefer either of the other two.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m not arguing LT isn’t the most important position behind QB on offense. I just don’t think they will draft a LT with their depth there with Peters coming back.

Another young DE or DT to rotate in the defensive line seems like a logical choice.

If you watched Mailata in camp last year, he is the LT of the future, amazing progress for a kid who never played the sport.
Supposedly they had him bulk up to 6'8 360, this is a guy who was playing Rugby at 310 lbs, so he should have no problem carrying the weight.
Tremendous length and athleticism, my suspicion is they're going to see if he's ready in camp, and maybe ask Peters to move to RG if Brooks isn't ready.

Oh yeah, they also have Big V who was merely good enough to play LT for a SB winning team.

I think you're right, it's either DL, an interior OL (Brooks is 29 coming off the injury, don't know if they think Pryor is the answer at RG), or a safety.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Keep taking LTs. It's the 2nd most important position on the team (we have an injury-prone franchise QB). The Eagles have been very blessed to have such stability there, that doesn't mean it's automatic. I'm not counting on V and a guy who hasn't even played football before. To his credit, at least Howie took his project lineman in the 7th and not the 1st, like Reid.

Peters is just about done, and don't forget that Lane Johnson is one failed test away from his career being ruined. If you end up with "too many" LTs move one inside.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If there’s a LT worthy of being selected with their first rounder fine but I’m not so sure that necessarily will be the case.

But we talked about it on here weeks ago there just isn’t a whole lot of obvious ones out there anymore with each passing draft. We’ll see if it shifts back some any time soon but the better big bodied athletes are going to the DL over the OL at a higher frequency now a days.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm always in favor of building through the trenches, but specifically on the OL, I subscribe to the theory that the biggest determining factor in the strength of your unit is the play of the worst player you're trotting out there.

If Vaitai is who he was last year, he can't see the field. Sounds like an extension is coming, so we'll see what they think of him pretty clearly.

At 25, Taylor and Williams are absolutely gone. I don't want Risner quite that early. If you think Cody Ford is a Tackle, maybe you get lucky and he falls because other teams don't -- he did hit the usual arm length threshold though. It's probably more likely they go OT after a trade down or at 53/57 with Cajuste/Deiter/McGary/Edwards all possibilities. Maybe even Dillard.

I would love to take Max Scharping later.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It could be that God stopped producing 6-8 350 lb guys who quick feet for a few years, idk. I guess there aren't many Pace/Ogden/Peters types around at the moment.

I can't be arsed to look it up, so someone tell me if Michael Oher turned out to be any good?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It could be that God stopped producing 6-8 350 lb guys who quick feet for a few years, idk. I guess there aren't many Pace/Ogden/Peters types around at the moment.

I can't be arsed to look it up, so someone tell me if Michael Oher turned out to be any good?

I don’t think it’s that, just that the standard of athleticism across the board is higher than it used to be. Both college & the NFL cutting back their practice times probably hurt the OL the most.

It’s just easier for kids to catch on playing DL instead of OL coming into college. The path to seeing the field is quicker & you don’t have to be the top guy to see good playing time as most teams rotate 8-10 guys on the DL now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ironically Peters & Johnson weren’t even OL entering college (or in Peters case at all). Peters was a DT then TE at Arkansas & was converted to OT in the NFL. Johnson was a QB & TE in JUCO. He was TE & then a DE in his first two years at Oklahoma. Then switched to OT his junior & senior years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mailata is going to be an allpro LT, mark my words.
Watched him in the exhibition games last year, he made so much progress they had to keep him on the 53 man roster.
We're talking a kid who went from no experience to holding his own against NFL talent in six months.
He was raw but you could see the body control, quickness, and strength in his hands.
Now Stoutland will have had a full year to work with him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Jason Peters isn't 6' 8" 350 lbs either.

Sell everything at the draft next year, move into the top five, and draft Andrew Thomas. Not only would that satisfy my obsession with UGA players joining the Eagles, but he looks like a future All Pro, imo.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Mailata is going to be an allpro LT, mark my words.
Watched him in the exhibition games last year, he made so much progress they had to keep him on the 53 man roster.
We're talking a kid who went from no experience to holding his own against NFL talent in six months.
He was raw but you could see the body control, quickness, and strength in his hands.
Now Stoutland will have had a full year to work with him.
You going from ultra-conservative with Flyer prospects to calling Mailata a future all pro. What in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->