OT: Philadelphia Eagles: 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
They weren't cringeworthy.
judge for yrselves

“I don’t think anybody who is protesting the national anthem … is very respectful,” Lurie said. “If that’s all their platform is, is to protest the national anthem, then what’s the proactive nature of it?”
yikes

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
judge for yrselves

yikes

Convenient that you left out the next sentence

But I think sometimes we can misinterpret what those are. I've talked to Malcolm Jenkins about it. He's very involved in our community here. That's my involvement with Malcolm. It's, 'What can you do as a player to be involved in the community?' Whether its social injustice, whether its autism,-you name it. There are opportunities to be really proactive. We, as a franchise, try to be as proactive as you can be as a sports franchise. We'll hope we get more and more proactive

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
That line taken by itself is cringy and misinformed. Lurie should better carve out protesting the anthem vs protesting injustice DURING the anthem.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Pumphrey tore his hamstring during practice. Out for an extended period of time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It was pretty much a not much said with speaking a lot words type of ordeal which Marcus Hayes twisted into making a clickbait article in which the guy they're responding to took the bait. In response to that the guy essentially shifted blame to Hayes & Philly.com for misleading him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That line taken by itself is cringy and misinformed. Lurie should better carve out protesting the anthem vs protesting injustice DURING the anthem.

They did leave a part out in that though. Even just that quote isn't fully accurate as you see here below.
DJuQ3dUXUAAb1jg

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
It's pretty clear what he's saying. If you're going to kneel during the national anthem you better also be actually doing something in your communities.

Kneeling during the national anthem is not "drawing attention to an issue", it's drawing attention to you. As an athlete you are somewhat in a position of influence, so kneeling and taking no real action makes you a jackass. Not to mention the act of kneeling during the anthem doesn't send a clear message, and can easily be seen (as Jim Brown noted) as a sign of disrespecting a great deal of people.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's pretty clear what he's saying. If you're going to kneel during the national anthem you better also be actually doing something in your communities.

Maybe. That could be his opinion and is swell, but I'm not sure it follows. I don't think it follows if you choose to protest something that it further requires being more civic as well.

Kneeling during the national anthem is not "drawing attention to an issue", it's drawing attention to you...Not to mention the act of kneeling during the anthem doesn't send a clear message, and can easily be seen (as Jim Brown noted) as a sign of disrespecting a great deal of people.

I disagree a bit as well. As evidenced by the fact it has drawn attention to issues (along with the player, no doubt). I'm not sure the message has to be clear -- let people debate it and sort it. It can be seen as disrespectful, sure, but ruffling feathers is part of democracy and some would argue -- healthy -- for democracy.

Or we can all be scared of stepping on toes and never communicate and resume our passive citizenry (that everyone cries about) because someone feels disrespected. Proathletes have great stage and a few of the Eagles (and other teams) have resorted to praying or other forms of protest instead. Are NFL owners going to fingerwag praying for the country?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It's dumb to point out "as long as you aren't protesting the anthem itself" at all, because let's not play stupid. We know that is not what is being done here.

Lurie should be smarter than saying stuff like that and be more sensitive to the issue at hand.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Playing this defense will be good for Wentz. Probably wont see a better one this year (maybe Denver).

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They did leave a part out in that though. Even just that quote isn't fully accurate as you see here below.
DJuQ3dUXUAAb1jg

That's scummy. I have editors who will continually edit out things like "in and of itself" from quotes and I have to go back to them and fight for it to be returned if it changes the meaning of the sentence that much. I can't tell if that situation is over-editing or intentionally done to gin up controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad