OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fultz is the key, but he shot well in his one college year, so the raw skills are there, and he's probably got more coaching on shooting this summer than his entire life (at least competent coaching).

Ideally:
Embiid - Saric - RoCo - Fultz - Simmons
TJ - Reddick - Amir - Muscala - Chandler
Smith - Shamet - Bolden - Korkmaz - [Bayless]

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So why did the Sixers get rid of Holmes for nothing?
Holmes didn't have BB's trust, Holmes was the lowest slotted big to make room for Jonah Bolden, the Sixers got ~$1m (which get's Harris & Co. super duper hard).

Essentially, after 3 years, the org decided he didn't do enough to solidify a spot on the roster, so they got paid instead of just cutting him for nothing. 2nd rd pick big out, 2nd rd pick big in.

Reactions: Embiid

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Holmes didn't have BB's trust, Holmes was the lowest slotted big to make room for Jonah Bolden, the Sixers got ~$1m (which get's Harris & Co. super duper hard).

Essentially, after 3 years, the org decided he didn't do enough to solidify a spot on the roster, so they got paid instead of just cutting him for nothing. 2nd rd pick big out, 2nd rd pick big in.

Why did they need to make room for Bolden?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I liked Holmes....BB obviously did not. He did have his shortcomings though. Bolden should be an upgrade particulary defensively which is important to BB. Bolden's offense was pretty lame in the summer league but he did other things well. He is a versatile player as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Holmes was an energy guy, but he played best paired with Embiid because the big man could cover for him.
Holmes was exposed as a backup center, and lacks the athleticism and post moves for PF or the outside shot of a stretch four.
With 4 years of college, and 3 in the NBA, what you see is probably all you'll ever get.

Bolden can defend at both the 4 and 5, he'll get two years to develop an offensive game or get moved out for someone else.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

giphy.gif

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This is a dumb offseason waiting for magic to work on Fultz's shot.
It has definitely fallen short of expectations. Well it will be up to the triumverate ...Embiid, Simmons and hopefully Fultz to make the Sixers a true contender in the East. Star hunting came up short....star making needs to go into overdrive. If Simmons is still scared to take a shot and if Fultz's summer hype is just that....hype then they have taken a step back this offseason. Toronto is better...so are the Celtics....Washington and the Bucks will be competitive. I mean Sixers are still in good shape but they will have to show more than what they showed against Boston...including the Coach.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you think they definitely had a disappointing offseason, your expectations probably weren't realistic. I'm not saying it was great or anything, but the two marquee free agents effectively never hit the market and the Spurs didn't like their assets. There weren't many moves to make that preserved the 2019 space.

If Redick walked on top of it or they sold Fultz for pennies on the dollar, that would be below reasonable expectations.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
30 other teams didn't get the latest toy on the market.

I find it amazing that people declare a 20 yr old as bust after a rookie season and effectively state that he is incapable of improving his game.

Washed up at 20?
or people need their instant gratification fix?

Reactions: Lotusflower

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Nah. It's just dumb we're in this holding pattern, eagerly waiting the magical outcome on this guy's arm. Just striking out and waiting endlessly, or so it feels. I declare it dumb. Dumb, I say.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Expectations were definitely too high for a lot of people. Reading stuff from the media you would have thought that LeBron to Philly was a done deal, which completely ignored the obvious connections he already had to LA. And Paul George had been talking up the possibility of staying in OKC for a while, the writing was on the wall for that one too.

The big factor for the offseason was always Fultz. If the news about him is true then the Sixers have their "Big Three".

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Over/Under per "magical outcomes": Fultz's shot or JVR's motor? I should make a poll

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Perhaps if you had unrealistic expectations one could consider the Sixers off season a failure. That being said, it simply wasn't.

The Sixers were never getting Lebron James or Paul George. James either going to the Lakers or staying put in Cleveland, and George was either going to LA or staying in OKC. The Sixers tried, but you can't force someone to come play with you if they are set on being somewhere else.

If you want to criticize the Sixers for not landing Kawhi Leonard, I suppose you might be able to make a fair argument. However, when you look at what the Spurs were able to get in return, I think it's pretty clear that the Sixers (and Celtics and Lakers for that matter) simply did not make good trade partners for the Spurs. The Spurs obviously had zero interest in a deal where they would get a combination of quantity back, or young players and picks. If that was their desire they would have been able to get a better package in that regard for one of the three aforementioned teams. Instead they were looking to get back an established high end talent which they did in DeRozen.

The fact is the media in Philly created a frenzy of belief that the sixers were going to land one of those three talents, possibly even two of them. They had people reading their articles, clicking on their websites, and listening to their radio stations. In the end it was all BS. It reminds me of when the Philly medica convinced Eagles fans for several months that the Eagles were going to move up to draft Marcus Mariota, which was also a complete and total frabrication.

Now, if we want to step back into reality, this is what the Sixers actually did.

OUT - Ilyasova, Bellineli, Holmes, TLC, Anderson

IN - Chandler, "Fultz", Muscala, Bolden, Smith

For all intents and purposes they are replacing Ilyasova and Bellineli, with Chandler and Fultz and running things back which isn't the worst thing in the world to do. Obviously Fultz is not an addition to the team but considering he barely played last year and didn't play in the playoffs he needs to be considered the replacement for Bellineli. Chandler is more of a 3 and Ilyasova is more of a 4 but Chandler is now replacing Ersan as the first non-guard off the bench.

The Sixers also brought back Reddick and Amir Johnson, and gained that 2021 unprotected first from the heat which can be an ace up their sleeve down the road. Latsly, they were able to do all of this and still set themselves up to take another shot at a loaded free agent class next summer. The Sixers are not beating the Warriors any time soon. Their path to ultimate NBA success is in 3-5 years with a core of Embiid, Simmons, and hopefully Fultz who are all 24 or younger. Running things back with a slightly improved bench, and hoping that those three continue to develop and get better (especially Fultz) and alowing themselves flexibility again next summer was not a bad offseason. It won't excite anyone or sell jerseys or anything, but it won't sell false hop either that they are ready to win a championship over the next year or two either. They are building with a young core who is getting better and is close, but patience and common sense from fans is going to be needed.

Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You really don't want more than 3 stars, and they have to complement each other.
There's only one basketball, someone has to be willing to rebound and play defense.

This is why the Sixers should stay put, with the Big Three, Saric, RoCo and Smith, they just need back of the bench guys, this year it's Chandler, Amir, Reddick, TJ, next year Reddick, Korkmaz? Bolden? and a couple veterans they pick up on affordable deals.

The problem will be to find a FA willing to fit in like Durant in GS.
Note that GS big deal was to add AI, an off the ball player who's an easy fit, not an egotistical scorer who won't want to play second fiddle to the Big Three.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
As long as Embiid and Simmons are the two biggest pieces the key will always be to surround them with great shooters. Doubt he leaves GS but Klay Thompson would be the perfect 3rd piece to put with them next summer.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Nah. It's just dumb we're in this holding pattern, eagerly waiting the magical outcome on this guy's arm. Just striking out and waiting endlessly, or so it feels. I declare it dumb. Dumb, I say.

Honestly, don't get your point?

Waiting on a magical outcome???? what

He's been trying to work on his shot during the off-season. Is he not supposed to do that?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If you think they definitely had a disappointing offseason, your expectations probably weren't realistic. I'm not saying it was great or anything, but the two marquee free agents effectively never hit the market and the Spurs didn't like their assets. There weren't many moves to make that preserved the 2019 space.

If Redick walked on top of it or they sold Fultz for pennies on the dollar, that would be below reasonable expectations.
Tbh.. my personal expectations actually weren't all that big. I kind of expected what happened. My point is that the star hunting comment from BB set the bar high even if he then qualified it with star making. Obviously they made their best effort to land a star and it didn't pan out. So basically from a Sixers perspective as an org you have to say they fell below their own expectations. It might be for the better in the long run. We shall see but they still haven't moved the needle much in the offseason.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Magnumpi may sound a little pretentious but he thinks it may give some a people a better perspective.....

I have a hard relating to the "something must be done right now, acquire the hottest available player, NOW or its a disaster and the entire process is a failure" crowd. And that goes to Flyers, Sixers, Phillies, and even the Eagles before they won the super bowl.

But I used to be like that 15-25 yrs ago.

After thinking about it, I think sports talk works you into a frenzy. Frankly its not healthy and it turns your brain to mush. It feeds on negativity and draws listeners by harping on the latest "crisis" in philly sports (sans Flyers because they refuse to talk about them.

I used to have no interests. I was very boring. So, sports was my main outlet and main topic of conversation.

But, then I dropped sports talk around the early 2000's and I began getting new interests. Now, sports is no longer life or death for me. I'd rather talk about many things before sports. I don't find it that important of a topic. However, I still do enjoy following the teams, especially the Flyers. I view it as one of my few remaining vices.

Having said that, its easier for me to be patient and not draw catastrophic conclusions when there isn't instant gratification in relation to player acquisition or player development.

With the Sixers I don't see the purpose in implying this off-season is a disaster. They weren't able to acquire another star. Ok, that happens. 30 other teams weren't either. There's nothing you can do when the available players want to sign with the Lakers. The future is bright and there will be other opportunities in the future. I don't know what sports talk is saying but I'm sure they're having a grand time fanning the negative fire.

That's magnum pi's viewpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->