OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I know Embiid's status is up in the air, Aldemir and Jason Thompson will probably prevent Holmes from playing this year, but my ideal 10 man rotation this year would look like:

Nelson* / Jackson
Stauskas / Thompson
Covington / Grant
Noel / Holmes
Okafor / Embiid

*I would like to see a veteran to come in this year to play the point and be a stabilizing presence on the court. Feed the ball to the bigs and find shooters. Let's bring Jameer Nelson back to Philly for one year. Or even bring back Smith if you have to.:dunno: Give Pierre Jackson the backup minutes. Nelson and Jackson would have to be respected from 3. Wroten will be on the shelf with the injury and Canaan could go kick rocks.

On the wing you have more shooting with Covington, Stauskas, and Thompson. Even Grant made great strides last year hitting spot up 3s. Stauskas could be the secondary ball handler. Covington and Grant showed defensive potential last year so they will have to mark up the best opposing wing. Thompson and especially Stauskas really need to work on their defense.

As for the bigs you play Noel and Okafor as much as possible, limit Embiid's minutes to around 26-28 mpg, and give some minutes to Holmes to show his abilities. I really like that lineup. Due to the shooting they would be surrounded with, it provides a ton of space for our important pieces (Noel/Embiid/Okafor) to operate. When Holmes is in the game you could even run a "4 out" offense with any one of the three bigs at center.

Just some thoughts...

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
amazing the NBA rules, announcing the increased salary cap, clips use that to offer 8m extra then what mavs offered.

Jordan signs 4 yr / 88 m deal.

Cuban is pissed

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know Embiid's status is up in the air, Aldemir and Jason Thompson will probably prevent Holmes from playing this year, but my ideal 10 man rotation this year would look like:

Nelson* / Jackson
Stauskas / Thompson
Covington / Grant
Noel / Holmes
Okafor / Embiid

*I would like to see a veteran to come in this year to play the point and be a stabilizing presence on the court. Feed the ball to the bigs and find shooters. Let's bring Jameer Nelson back to Philly for one year. Or even bring back Smith if you have to.:dunno: Give Pierre Jackson the backup minutes. Nelson and Jackson would have to be respected from 3. Wroten will be on the shelf with the injury and Canaan could go kick rocks.

On the wing you have more shooting with Covington, Stauskas, and Thompson. Even Grant made great strides last year hitting spot up 3s. Stauskas could be the secondary ball handler. Covington and Grant showed defensive potential last year so they will have to mark up the best opposing wing. Thompson and especially Stauskas really need to work on their defense.

As for the bigs you play Noel and Okafor as much as possible, limit Embiid's minutes to around 26-28 mpg, and give some minutes to Holmes to show his abilities. I really like that lineup. Due to the shooting they would be surrounded with, it provides a ton of space for our important pieces (Noel/Embiid/Okafor) to operate. When Holmes is in the game you could even run a "4 out" offense with any one of the three bigs at center.

Just some thoughts...

1. No way I trade the Laker pick for Bledsoe, a solid but not special PG. Middle of the pack PGs are a dime a dozen. Deepest position in the NBA.

2. McConnell is going to make the rotation, and may end up the starter at PG, he outclassed Rozier (16th pick) the other night, not as athletic, but much better floor sense, a true PG, he had three beautiful passes that were dropped by Okafor (2) and Furkan. When he was in the game, the tempo was totally different, he kicks everything up two notches.

3. Furkan will play this year, he's worked hard on his conditioning and offensive game, and it shows. They kept him over Robinson because he'll work to improve and has BB IQ.

4. Holmes is a keeper, similar to Grant, not as athletic but thicker, though he doesn't look like 245 lbs. Has an outside shot that can be developed, long arms and a feel for shot blocking, and hustles.

5. Canaan is not a PG, he's only role is designated gunner, and I expect him to be moved if possible now that they have Stauskas. Jackson is a "wait and see" how he looks in Vegas.

6. Wroten should be back by the season, ACLs aren't the big deal they were a couple decades ago, as long as there is no other damage.

7. Hinkie probably has a couple more moves to make with $26.5M in cap room to sell, and a slew of picks, but I don't see him spending much for a PG, unless a PG can hit 35+% from the 3 point line and has great PG skills (and Curry isn't moving), they're pretty much interchangeable - guys who can't shoot but are good penetrators and dishers are a dime a dozen. With Saric coming next year, I think he'll focus on guards, but only ones that fit their vision.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
1. No way I trade the Laker pick for Bledsoe, a solid but not special PG. Middle of the pack PGs are a dime a dozen. Deepest position in the NBA.

2. McConnell is going to make the rotation, and may end up the starter at PG, he outclassed Rozier (16th pick) the other night, not as athletic, but much better floor sense, a true PG, he had three beautiful passes that were dropped by Okafor (2) and Furkan. When he was in the game, the tempo was totally different, he kicks everything up two notches.

3. Furkan will play this year, he's worked hard on his conditioning and offensive game, and it shows. They kept him over Robinson because he'll work to improve and has BB IQ.

4. Holmes is a keeper, similar to Grant, not as athletic but thicker, though he doesn't look like 245 lbs. Has an outside shot that can be developed, long arms and a feel for shot blocking, and hustles.

5. Canaan is not a PG, he's only role is designated gunner, and I expect him to be moved if possible now that they have Stauskas. Jackson is a "wait and see" how he looks in Vegas.

6. Wroten should be back by the season, ACLs aren't the big deal they were a couple decades ago, as long as there is no other damage.

7. Hinkie probably has a couple more moves to make with $26.5M in cap room to sell, and a slew of picks, but I don't see him spending much for a PG, unless a PG can hit 35+% from the 3 point line and has great PG skills (and Curry isn't moving), they're pretty much interchangeable - guys who can't shoot but are good penetrators and dishers are a dime a dozen. With Saric coming next year, I think he'll focus on guards, but only ones that fit their vision.

I agree, except with canaan. Wroten, ACL is something to keep in mind going forward. While I agree today science he could have no problem, but until we do find a PG that can hit 35%, I'd keep canaan off the bench, he can play solid in limited time, not great but solid.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My problem with Canaan is he demonstrated a lack of basic PG skills last year, he's a gunner, not a distributor, he can dribble well enough to bring the ball up against the press, but lacks a feel for setting up his teammates. McConnell, just watching the summer league, is heads and shoulders above him as a PG.

Sampson can always be the emergency PG. Seriously I do want to see him this summer, he's very underrated, has the potential to be a shutdown defensive guy against talented wing players - and how often do you see a college PF come in as a rookie and be used as a back up PG? If he continues to improve his shooting and ball handling, I think he has the potential to be a Bruce Bowen type of player.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
My problem with Canaan is he demonstrated a lack of basic PG skills last year, he's a gunner, not a distributor, he can dribble well enough to bring the ball up against the press, but lacks a feel for setting up his teammates. McConnell, just watching the summer league, is heads and shoulders above him as a PG.

Sampson can always be the emergency PG. Seriously I do want to see him this summer, he's very underrated, has the potential to be a shutdown defensive guy against talented wing players - and how often do you see a college PF come in as a rookie and be used as a back up PG? If he continues to improve his shooting and ball handling, I think he has the potential to be a Bruce Bowen type of player.

True, but I want to see him be given a chance to run the offense with the bigs that we have. If all 3 are able to play, canaan can focus on high % passes, setup post play. good chance during a run n gun play he can use the alley oop more.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
How many times has a prospect sat out this long and had a career in the NBA?
All I can think of is David Robinson. He went to Navy for four years, got drafted, did two years of service, then signed with the Spurs. Since your early twenties are prime development years, and Embiid is so inexperienced as is, missing another season would likely lower his ceiling as a player. We still don't know what's going on though.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Most impressive this Summer league so far: Holmes and Aldemir

Most disappointing: Mcrae and Tokoto

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One thing about Okafor so far not crazy about is his lack of assertiveness. Tends to be a bit too nonchalant at times. I know it is summer league but dont like when players like Cooley show more energy at crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad