OT: Philadelphia 76ers: It’s Great To Have A Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Why though? That's the type of mentality that keeps teams like Orlando in the basement. Our best player is 24 with under 150 games played.
Fultz's sunk potential is still worth more than Ariza/KCP/whomever bench guy. That's not gonna get us past the Celtics/Bucks/Raps.
Its not gonna get us past the Warriors.

This team wont be really be competing for titles until Embiid/Simmons are in their true primes. We have time to wait on Fultz.

Lakers win that trade in a landslide. Risk/reward is completely in their favor.

The reason is because it clears over 8 million in cap space for next year and gives them more flexibility with free agents. Otherwise, we're locked in for a guy who may be of no use for 8+ million.
Now, I'm personally not sure what I'd do here, but the reality is that he has a very good chance of flaming out in the NBA and could be a roadblock to us making FA moves that we'd like to.
The other side is that he could still revert to the player that we drafted and it turns out that we wildly undersold him. It's a tough decision in a situation that's never happened before in pro sports.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The reason is because it clears over 8 million in cap space for next year and gives them more flexibility with free agents. Otherwise, we're locked in for a guy who may be of no use for 8+ million.
Now, I'm personally not sure what I'd do here, but the reality is that he has a very good chance of flaming out in the NBA and could be a roadblock to us making FA moves that we'd like to.
The other side is that he could still revert to the player that we drafted and it turns out that we wildly undersold him. It's a tough decision in a situation that's never happened before in pro sports.

If the Sixers trust the diagnosis of TOS then it really doesn't seem to make sense to cut him loose now. Why not see what rest and physical therapy will do? Otoh, if they don't trust the diagnosis then maybe it's understandable. It just seems early in the season to make what seems like a desperation move.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
That's not relevant to the point I was making. The Sixers were looking for an elite SF over the summer and still viewed Fultz as part of the core. You are arguing that the only reason they traded for Butler is because they gave up on Fultz. If they had signed Paul George we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
The Spurs asked for Embiid or Simmons for Kawhi. We don’t know what the Sixers offered.

You are probably right that we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion as Fultz wouldn’t have started the season being a starter. He wouldn’t have been benched then relegated to being a 2nd pg to come off the bench behind TJ. Fultz and his camp probably wouldn’t pull this TOS crap to save his face.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Locked in for..a year. On a former number 1 overall with 33 games played who wont turn 21 until May 2019.

Im just talking to a brick wall with the Fultz truthers. This isnt the NHL. Depth is always available for teams with stars.
Grabbing a couple bench guys that likely wont move the needle enough to bring us the chip is not worth giving away another year plus to evaluate a young player with potential.

Reactions: Jack Straw

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Would someone really not take Fultz’s contract off of our hands in the offseason if it really came down to it?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The Spurs asked for Embiid or Simmons for Kawhi. We don’t know what the Sixers offered.

You are probably right that we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion as Fultz wouldn’t have started the season being a starter. He wouldn’t have been benched then relegated to being a 2nd pg to come off the bench behind TJ. Fultz and his camp probably wouldn’t pull this TOS crap to save his face.

Markelle Fultz reportedly 'off limits' in Kawhi Leonard trade talks

The Philadelphia 76ers are making their push for San Antonio Spurs superstar Kawhi Leonard, but apparently, any potential deal will not include three specific players.
While it’s not surprising that the Sixers are unwilling to trade Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski revealed (via SportsCenter) the team is making Markelle Fultz “off limits” as well.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Sixers Right to Be Out on Jimmy Butler, Wait for Better Opportunity

Jimmy Butler's Reported Interest in Sixers Not Mutual

I was basing my argument with reports, not hearsay. We don’t know if the reports were true or not, I love the trade no matter what. I wanted them to trade for Butler instead of trading up to draft Fultz back in 2017. There were rumors of Chicago offering Butler for the 3rd pick and BC turned it down. We could’ve had Butler along with Roco and Saric here and kept the Kings pick but mistakes do happen.
Are we even arguing? This post proves my point. The first article says trade talks broke down after the Sixers made their initial offer.

Of course they would. Wolves didnt want to trade their best player for Cov/Dario.

The 2nd one says the Sixers didnt want Butler...which is obviously hearsay that was PROVEN wrong by actual events.
The Sixers made one offer as soon as the story broke in training camp and then made another one 2 months later that they were able to pull off.

There was obvious interest on the Sixers part from jump. They just played it smart and waited for Thibs to feel the heat and take the initial deal.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I can’t see it being hard at all to move Fultz.
Over half the teams in the league would take Fultz as a reclamation project.
Only this fanbase wants to give him away for free like a puppy with a bad eye (or shoulder. or wrist as the case may be.)
So they can sign Trevor Ariza. or Kent Bazemore.
Where did this win now mentality come from? 12/12/16 we were on our way to a 28 win season.
Jo's health was still a question mark. Simmons hadn't played a minute.
They play 1 season together and that's a license to stop developing players?

If one of @Jtown 's many burner accounts, or anyone really, can present some facts and not emotional appeals based on hearsay from tweets and NBCPhilly blurbs on why we should move Fultz I would love to hear it.

Reactions: JXC and Jack Straw

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Are we even arguing? This post proves my point. The first article says trade talks broke down after the Sixers made their initial offer.

Of course they would. Wolves didnt want to trade their best player for Cov/Dario.

The 2nd one says the Sixers didnt want Butler...which is obviously hearsay that was PROVEN wrong by actual events.
The Sixers made one offer as soon as the story broke in training camp and then made another one 2 months later that they were able to pull off.

There was obvious interest on the Sixers part from jump. They just played it smart and waited for Thibs to feel the heat and take the initial deal.

I’m not trying to argue with you. Sixers made what initial offer? They inquire about Butler and Wolves asked for Simmons and they declined. Can you post what the initial offer?

Edit to add this: Jimmy Butler Trade Rumors: T'Wolves Asked for Ben Simmons from 76ers

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
For where the Nets are at I dont really mind it. Theyre too good right now tbh. They should really be trying to tank for Zion.
Dlo, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Allen is solid a group that will be competitve most nights but theyre not challenging for the title.
Not now not ever.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Man if you could put TJ's brain and motor into Wilson Chandler's body you'd have a perennial all-star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad