OT: Philadelphia 76ers: It’s Great To Have A Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I get some people want to hold onto him, I rather get a expiring player for him and have his cap space for next year. We will need it to fill out this bad bench.

It’s great he’s in rehab and all but who’s to say it will go away. It can recur again anytime and Sixers can’t wait around for him. Management wasn’t happy how his agent handled this and I think it’s time to move on. Best for both parties.
Why though? That's the type of mentality that keeps teams like Orlando in the basement. Our best player is 24 with under 150 games played.
Fultz's sunk potential is still worth more than Ariza/KCP/whomever bench guy. That's not gonna get us past the Celtics/Bucks/Raps.
Its not gonna get us past the Warriors.

This team wont be really be competing for titles until Embiid/Simmons are in their true primes. We have time to wait on Fultz.

Lakers win that trade in a landslide. Risk/reward is completely in their favor.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Why though? That's the type of mentality that keeps teams like Orlando in the basement. Our best player is 24 with under 150 games played.
Fultz's sunk potential is still worth more than Ariza/KCP/whomever bench guy. That's not gonna get us past the Celtics/Bucks/Raps.
Its not gonna get us past the Warriors.

This team wont be really be competing for titles until Embiid/Simmons are in their true primes. We have time to wait on Fultz.

Lakers win that trade in a landslide. Risk/reward is completely in their favor.
What has Fultz shown? He’s not gonna be a Star, that’s why the Sixers went and got Jimmy. Sixers aren’t gonna win this year with this crappy bench that Brett put together. I’m looking at next year and Fultz cap hit of 10 mil would be helpful towards the bench.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
According to the rumor the Sixers would also get the Lakers 1st round pick, which makes it maybe not horrible. I still probably wouldn’t do it. KCP is nothing but an expiring contract which means the Sixers are just trading Fultz for a mid to late 1st and cap space. Hard to believe they would give up on him so soon.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
What has Fultz shown? He’s not gonna be a Star, that’s why the Sixers went and got Jimmy. Sixers aren’t gonna win this year with this crappy bench that Brett put together. I’m looking at next year and Fultz cap hit of 10 mil would be helpful towards the bench.
The Sixers didnt get Jimmy Butler because Fultz isnt good.
If Fultz was balling they still wouldve/shouldve swooped in to grab Jimmy.
The Jimmy deal was a miracle outcome.
A top 15 player demanded out. Wolves tried to keep him but he wouldnt budge. They had to settle for role players in exchange.
Every team except the blatant tankers probably gave Thibs a call on Jimmy.

Fultz's status has little to do with that deal. An opportunity fell into the Sixers laps and they took advantage.
10 Million worth of bench players will be there this offseason, next offseason, the one after that.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I get some people want to hold onto him, I rather get a expiring player for him and have his cap space for next year. We will need it to fill out this bad bench.

It’s great he’s in rehab and all but who’s to say it will go away. It can recur again anytime and Sixers can’t wait around for him. Management wasn’t happy how his agent handled this and I think it’s time to move on. Best for both parties.
It is probable they go that way anyway. Sucks Fultz had to turn out to be such a drama king....injury, yips whatever it is.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
The Sixers didnt get Jimmy Butler because Fultz isnt good.
If Fultz was balling they still wouldve/shouldve swooped in to grab Jimmy.
The Jimmy deal was a miracle outcome.
A top 15 player demanded out. Wolves tried to keep him but he wouldnt budge. They had to settle for role players in exchange.
Every team except the blatant tankers probably gave Thibs a call on Jimmy.

Fultz's status has little to do with that deal. An opportunity fell into the Sixers laps and they took advantage.
10 Million worth of bench players will be there this offseason, next offseason, the one after that.
What? Fultz status has nothing to do with getting Jimmy? They traded 2 picks to take this kid for a reason. And he failed them, they didn’t trade Roco and Saric for 1 year of Jimmy. They are ready to compete for the title moving forward. They aren’t waiting for Embiid and Simmons to reach their prime. They still can compete for it all when those 2 reach their prime and Butler’s contract expires if he resigns. What you’re saying makes no sense at all.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
What? Fultz status has nothing to do with getting Jimmy? They traded 2 picks to take this kid for a reason. And he failed them, they didn’t trade Roco and Saric for 1 year of Jimmy. They are ready to compete for the title moving forward. They aren’t waiting for Embiid and Simmons to reach their prime. They still can compete for it all when those 2 reach their prime and Butler’s contract expires if he resigns. What you’re saying makes no sense at all.
Once again we're just on different sides of the argument only time will tell which move is the right one.

Im saying that even if Fultz was playing well for a 20 yr old guard they still wouldve dealt Cov/Dario for Jimmy a 29 yr old all-NBA player.
Every team in the league minus the tankers wouldve done that if their cap permitted it.

EDIT: Just thought of this but Jimmy requested a trade during training camp.
Sixers made basically the same offer then that the Wolves ended up accepting a couple months later.
Before the Fultz the drama started. When he was the Sixers' projected starting SG.

So if the Sixers dealt for Jimmy because they had given up on Fultz why did they try to acquire him before the season started when they were apparently high enough on him at that time to make him their starting SG?
@XDevilBoiX Can you answer that? If you can I'll concede that you are correct.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The Sixers were looking for an upgrade at SF as soon as last season ended. That was what the whole “star hunting” thing was about. LeBron, Kawhi, PG13, all small forwards. So unless you think the Sixers had already given up on Fultz after his rookie season, where he hardly played, there’s no reason to think that when the opportunity to grab one of the top SFs in the league (Butler) arose the Sixers wouldn’t have been interested even if Fultz had been playing great.

It was a position that needed to be upgraded regardless of what Fultz did and given that RoCo is an excellent defender Butler is exactly the kind of player you’d be looking for.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Apparently he’s the Sixers new Frosty Freeze-out cheerleader so they can’t trade him.
Someone is unamused.
giphy.gif

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
RoCo is really doing well in Minnie......Saric...decent
Thibs does Dario no favors. Every Wolves fan I talk to is begging for him to be a starter next to Towns but he's kept stapled to the bench for Gorgui Dieng and Taj Gibson.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Once again we're just on different sides of the argument only time will tell which move is the right one.

Im saying that even if Fultz was playing well for a 20 yr old guard they still wouldve dealt Cov/Dario for Jimmy a 29 yr old all-NBA player.
Every team in the league minus the tankers wouldve done that if their cap permitted it.

EDIT: Just thought of this but Jimmy requested a trade during training camp.
Sixers made basically the same offer then that the Wolves ended up accepting a couple months later.
Before the Fultz the drama started. When he was the Sixers' projected starting SG.

So if the Sixers dealt for Jimmy because they had given up on Fultz why did they try to acquire him before the season started when they were apparently high enough on him at that time to make him their starting SG?
@XDevilBoiX Can you answer that? If you can I'll concede that you are correct.
If reports were true, Sixers weren’t interested in Jimmy when training camp started. They got in it when the Heat deal fell thru, we will never know the truth though.

Edit: If Fultz didn’t hurt himself his rookie year and showed promised of what they thought he was when they drafted him, I highly doubt they would be Star hunting. He would be the 3 Star on this team. You need role players like Roco and Saric around them. Because he got hurt and they saw how he was that’s why they went Star hunting. Brett is the closest to him and said Fultz was not hurt and it was all mental. Was after the OKC game in Jan.

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
If reports were true, Sixers weren’t interested in Jimmy when training camp started. They got in it when the Heat deal fell thru, we will never know the truth though.
The offer I spoke of was legitimate. This is hearsay. Are we basing longterm team decisions on hearsay now?

Edit: If Fultz didn’t hurt himself his rookie year and showed promised of what they thought he was when they drafted him, I highly doubt they would be Star hunting. He would be the 3 Star on this team. You need role players like Roco and Saric around them. Because he got hurt and they saw how he was that’s why they went Star hunting. Brett is the closest to him and said Fultz was not hurt and it was all mental. Was after the OKC game in Jan.
Had to go back to Jimmy's Bulls days for this reaction
giphy.gif

This is so shortsighted. On a couple levels:
1. So if the Sixers had 3 stars they would STOP starhunting/developing? Job is done right?
Did the Warriors stop trying to improve after going to back to back Finals? No. So then why would the Sixers?
2. How well would a 20 year old Fultz have to play all of a year and change into his career for the team to say "we dont need a top 15 player. We're good with Cov/Dario." Makes no sense. If Fultz was Ben Simmons in terms of impact, let's say a VORP of 3 or higher in his rookie year, they STILL make the Butler deal everytime.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

If this was true don’t you think the Sixers would have been willing to include Fultz in a trade for Kawhi? Instead it was widely reported that Fultz, along with Simmons and Embiid, was off limits, even to get Kawhi. So they clearly had not given up on him when they went star hunting.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
The offer I spoke of was legitimate. This is hearsay. Are we basing longterm team decisions on hearsay now?

Had to go back to Jimmy's Bulls days for this reaction
giphy.gif

This is so shortsighted. On a couple levels:
1. So if the Sixers had 3 stars they would STOP starhunting/developing? Job is done right?
Did the Warriors stop trying to improve after going to back to back Finals? No. So then why would the Sixers?
2. How well would a 20 year old Fultz have to play all of a year and change into his career for the team to say "we dont need a top 15 player. We're good with Cov/Dario." Makes no sense. If Fultz was Ben Simmons in terms of impact, let's say a VORP of 3 or higher in his rookie year, they STILL make the Butler deal everytime.
Sixers Right to Be Out on Jimmy Butler, Wait for Better Opportunity

Jimmy Butler's Reported Interest in Sixers Not Mutual

I was basing my argument with reports, not hearsay. We don’t know if the reports were true or not, I love the trade no matter what. I wanted them to trade for Butler instead of trading up to draft Fultz back in 2017. There were rumors of Chicago offering Butler for the 3rd pick and BC turned it down. We could’ve had Butler along with Roco and Saric here and kept the Kings pick but mistakes do happen.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
If this was true don’t you think the Sixers would have been willing to include Fultz in a trade for Kawhi? Instead it was widely reported that Fultz, along with Simmons and Embiid, was off limits, even to get Kawhi. So they clearly had not given up on him when they went star hunting.
There was reports of Sixers offering Fultz in the Butler deal but Thibs didn’t want him. He wanted win now players.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
There was reports of Sixers offering Fultz in the Butler deal but Thibs didn’t want him. He wanted win now players.

That's not relevant to the point I was making. The Sixers were looking for an elite SF over the summer and still viewed Fultz as part of the core. You are arguing that the only reason they traded for Butler is because they gave up on Fultz. If they had signed Paul George we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad