OT: Philadelphia 76ers and the NBA (basketball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Do the Brits even like B-ball? Well at least it isn't China...

Hopefully, the Sixers give the Celtics a good "rogering"

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Rumor is the Sixers will be playing the Knicks at MSG on Christmas.

Why?

JWwgeX1.gif

*More so directed at the Knicks.

EDIT: Guess it was already confirmed.

Last edited:

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Well the Knicks suck (and I know they're the Knicks so they have their following) but Christmas games you're getting the same amount of eyeballs no matter what since nothing else is on.

You might as well actually have good teams play.

I think regardless you'll get people to watch because nothing is on, as you noted. So essentially, you're getting your same base number of viewers, but by inputting two of the largest markets in the country, you're capitalizing on the viewers in these markets.

I'm interested to see what time they schedule the bigger games for, given that they'll be competing with Monday Night Football at night.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
After poo-pooing "the process" for several years the league now seems to be happy to showcase the Sixers. Hinkie must be smiling...

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Do the Brits even like B-ball? Well at least it isn't China...

Hopefully, the Sixers give the Celtics a good "rogering"

From what I understand, the NBA is picking up steam there similar to how the EPL is here, for pretty much the same reason. FIFA brought soccer exposure to the US, and 2K brought basketball exposure to England. Combined with how much easier it is now to watch these sports in each country, and it's an interesting phenomenon.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Rumor is the Sixers will be playing the Knicks at MSG on Christmas.

Why?

JWwgeX1.gif

*More so directed at the Knicks.

EDIT: Guess it was already confirmed.

The Christmas Day game at MSG actually goes back to long before the NBA made it an event (The one in 1984 where Bernard scored 60 is one of the most legendary moments in MSG history). It was shameful that in recent years the Knicks were excluded from them.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Seems like all the rookies were taking the big group photos today and guess who was holding the ball. NOT #1 overall pick Fultz, but NBA dream story Lonzo BALL

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They take a ton of different group shots and the #1 pick doesn't always hold the ball. The most commonly used picture from last year had a guy holding the ball who wasn't even his team's first pick.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
They take a ton of different group shots and the #1 pick doesn't always hold the ball. The most commonly used picture from last year had a guy holding the ball who wasn't even his team's first pick.

Gotcha. Good to know. Was just funny the video they were showing had Ball holding it. :laugh:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
From what I understand, the NBA is picking up steam there similar to how the EPL is here, for pretty much the same reason. FIFA brought soccer exposure to the US, and 2K brought basketball exposure to England. Combined with how much easier it is now to watch these sports in each country, and it's an interesting phenomenon.

Brits should take a liking to ice hockey ...like hockey players they have bad teeth....ya baby!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
More and more it sounds like we should have not played into Ainge's and Magic's bluff. Supposedly the Lakers wanted Ball all along and would not have taken Fultz (or so the rumor goes)....the Celtics wanted Tatum all along and it is understandable why. The Sixers needed Fultz and he's more of a fit than the other two especially since we have Simmons as our Lonzo Ball. We were more in the driver's seat than the Celtics IMO. Colangelo did what he felt it would take to get Fultz and I'm generally ok with it but I think we could have given the Celtics less and still gotten Fultz. Annoyed...but content overall with Fultz and how the team is shaping up. I just hope we can beat the Celtics because they seem to always have the Sixer's number...

Edit: Here is an article about how the Lakers supposedly wanted Fultz not Ball...but I've see the opposite since....maybe just revisionism now after the fact. Just annoyed the Celtics got that number 1 pick and the Lakers got 2....hate having to lose such a high lottery pick to jump up two spots

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/18/15826386/lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-2017-nba-draft

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
More and more it sounds like we should have not played into Ainge's and Magic's bluff. Supposedly the Lakers wanted Ball all along and would not have taken Fultz (or so the rumor goes)....the Celtics wanted Tatum all along and it is understandable why. The Sixers needed Fultz and he's more of a fit than the other two especially since we have Simmons as our Lonzo Ball. We were more in the driver's seat than the Celtics IMO. Colangelo did what he felt it would take to get Fultz and I'm generally ok with it but I think we could have given the Celtics less and still gotten Fultz. Annoyed...but content overall with Fultz and how the team is shaping up. I just hope we can beat the Celtics because they seem to always have the Sixer's number...

Edit: Here is an article about how the Lakers supposedly wanted Fultz not Ball...but I've see the opposite since....maybe just revisionism now after the fact. Just annoyed the Celtics got that number 1 pick and the Lakers got 2....hate having to lose such a high lottery pick to jump up two spots

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/18/15826386/lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-2017-nba-draft

It might have worked out that way but in this case I think it's better safe than sorry. Fultz looks like such a perfect fit that for him I don't mind. Right now I think the Sixers are in better shape for the future than either LA or Boston, although Boston does have some good picks coming up.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

There is nothing wrong with going after the player you want and need.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
There is nothing wrong with going after the player you want and need.

Yes and no...you shouldn't have to overpay. I think the Sixers did in some respects....moot point now. I just hope the Celtics don't draft some superstar with it and they become a barrier to us contending for a Championship in the East. Right now they are pretty far ahead of us with even more assets for the future. We unfortunately added to it....possibly unnecessarily.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You are always going to overpay in a vacuum for #1 in the NBA. Colangelo got it cheaper than most expected. There's no need to overthink this or believe the post-draft smoke from teams run by Danny Ainge and an agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad