Speculation: Phil the Thrill has a destination in mind?

Where does Phil want to go?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I could see Galchenyuk+ for Kessel happening. Plus, I also think Phil is a good fit for that team. They’d be on my list of Pacific playoff teams next season if they get him IMO.
I’m not saying it won’t happen, but if Chayka trades Galchenyuk for Kessel, it’s yet another huge blunder on his track-record. I am not a fan of Chayka. I don’t have faith in Chayka. Even I would be absolutely shocked if Chayka traded Galchenyuk for Kessel. It just doesn’t make any damn sense at all. Not one lick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like this is sarcastic because that's a trash article :laugh:
I think there are a few things in the article that are helpful in terms of illustrating concepts that many fans are struggling with. Cash vs Cap is one big one. Salary retention is another. The idea that blocking a trade to 29 teams solely to go play for a coach that’s running out of rope is a bit thin. I appreciated that perspective of the article too.

Overall, the article was more questions than answers but I think it had a couple of good points that are useful to folks joining this discussion a bit late.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think there are a few things in the article that are helpful in terms of illustrating concepts that many fans are struggling with. Cash vs Cap is one big one. Salary retention is another. The idea that blocking a trade to 29 teams solely to go play for a coach that’s running out of rope is a bit thin. I appreciated that perspective of the article too.

Overall, the article was more questions than answers but I think it had a couple of good points that are useful to folks joining this discussion a bit late.

Idk, I read that article and I concluded that it was heavily biased to attack the credibility of the people reporting the Kessel stuff. There's an obvious slant in there, that there's no reason that Kessel wants to go to Arizona, because they're trying to attack the credibility of people reporting this.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Spezza was a center, no? Not sure why that would have an impact on wanting Kessel. They also have Radulov and probably will re-sign Zucc so doubt they have interest in Kessel.

I would want Faksa+ though

Believe Spezza played 4th line RW to end the playoffs.
Plus i believe they played him alot at wing throughout the year.

Dickinson-Seguin-Zucc
Benn-Hintz-Radulov
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Janmark-Dowling-Spezza

Was their lineup last game vs STL.
Phil makes alot of sense to me for DAL.
They can acquire Phil AND sign Zucc cuz they are letting Spezza walk.
But it'd be more about will Phil accept DAL or it's ARI or bust for him.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Coming from Roenick, that would almost surely be the Coyotes.

I mean, I'll take him on the Kings, if the Pens are sending over their 1st with him. Otherwise, what's the point? The Kings are old enough. Kessel isn't taking them anywhere. There's no 28/29 year old Crosby or Malkin hanging around. It's just a bunch of old dudes killing time with a bunch of money still headed their way. Again, Kessel is more than welcome to get on that train and take it easy on the beach, but I at least have to get the 21st pick out of it though.
that's so generous of you to take Phil f***ing Kessel off the Pens' hands for the small price of the Pens' 1st round pick

i think I'm going to have half the forum on mute by the end of the summer

Reactions: bigbabybuda

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I’m not saying it won’t happen, but if Chayka trades Galchenyuk for Kessel, it’s yet another huge blunder on his track-record. I am not a fan of Chayka. I don’t have faith in Chayka. Even I would be absolutely shocked if Chayka traded Galchenyuk for Kessel. It just doesn’t make any damn sense at all. Not one lick.
your idea of "fair value" for Kessel was a mid-1st round pick and a 4th liner, if i recall correctly.

I'm sorry, but the Pens would be doing the Coyotes a gigantic favor if they saw it your way.

"but domaug the Pens probably won't even get that for Phil given his situation!"

if that's the case, fire Rutherford yesterday for only getting literal peanuts for one of the most productive wingers in the game

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Saw this video of Jeremy Roenick on a Buffalo talk show talking about Marner. At the end of the video, they ask him his thought on Phil shooting down the trade to Minny. He followed that up by saying he knows where Phil wants to go and that he wants to "go west" and that there is one team he wants to go play for. He said he will stay in Pittsburgh or go to this team. The video ends with JR saying "there are a few teams in the southwest you can pick from" and added that the team "didn't make the playoffs". Who do you think? AZ? Anaheim? or LA?

Starts at about 9:15

Phil can't "pick his team". He does not have a full no trade clause. He can't say its Arizona (assumed) or Pittsburgh.

He needs to give 8 destinations he is willing to go to.

So he might want Arizona, but Phil has limited power here, he has to give the Penguins a list of 8 different teams he's willing to be traded to.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Phil can't "pick his team". He does not have a full no trade clause. He can't say its Arizona (assumed) or Pittsburgh.

So he might want Arizona, but Phil has limited power here, he has to give the Penguins a list of 8 different teams he's willing to be traded to.

Thats extremely easy to circumvent. He gives teams that A: Can't afford him or B: knows they wont want him.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thats extremely easy to circumvent. He gives teams that A: Can't afford him or B: knows they wont want him.

No doubt he has some Metro teams he knows JR would never trade him to as well like PHI and WSH.

Think a decent list for Phil atm would be something like:

ARI
BOS
TOR
PHI
WSH
TBL
LV
SJS

While not a true NTC, it's pretty solidly in the Phil has lots of control category.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
that's so generous of you to take Phil ****ing Kessel off the Pens' hands for the small price of the Pens' 1st round pick

i think I'm going to have half the forum on mute by the end of the summer

As I said, there's no point for the Kings to get the guy, no matter how good of a winger he is, because the Kings are going nowhere quickly. Have you seen the defense? Kessel isn't changing the Kings trajectory. No reason to trade for yet another 30+ year old, unless the Kings actually get something out of the deal. Phil f***ing Kessel, by himself, at 32 by then time he plays another game, just isn't enough. The Kings shouldn't even be on a list for him.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Cheeseburger Phil is headed to LA purely for the In & Out Burger endorsement.

No cash, just free lifetime/anytime cheeseburgers and beaches.

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
As I said, there's no point for the Kings to get the guy, no matter how good of a winger he is, because the Kings are going nowhere quickly. Have you seen the defense? Kessel isn't changing the Kings trajectory. No reason to trade for yet another 30+ year old, unless the Kings actually get something out of the deal. Phil ****ing Kessel, by himself, at 32 by then time he plays another game, just isn't enough. The Kings shouldn't even be on a list for him.
then don't make any offers for him??? it's that simple.

"i don't even want the guy, so you'll have to give ME am absurd package just to take him."

"what do you mean you didn't offer him to me in the first place??"

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Kesler says hi!! That’s exactly what he did to Canucks. Mind you at the time he didn’t have to give 8 destinations.

But I do see Arizona, Dallas, Minnesota (if he would ok a trade) or Anaheim as possible destinations. Or maybe just wait for Seattle?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Kessel takes cancer medication which lowers his energy levels and gives him that bloated look. He's still one of the most athletic players in the league

Kessel had testicular cancer in '06. Surgery only. He's not still taking meds for it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's been in impeccable shape his whole career, That myth has long been busted.

His last season with the Leafs, they released the results of the team fitness tests and he scored either highest or near the top in every category.

Conditioning has never been an issue for Kessel. The last time a coach or teammate called him out for fitness as far as I remember was jack johnson before he was drafted but that was more reportedly a physique critique from a teammate that hated Kessel and resented Kessel for not focusing on hitting weights.

Most of the reports of Kessel being out of shape come from his combine results (his agent claimed he was sick for) and his shape.

He's never been our of shape during a season. I don't get where that nonsense comes from.

Because people equate being jacked and ripped to being in great shape for hockey.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kings and Ducks would both be stupid to trade for him, IMO.
I disagree....but if we did wed need to move perry and find a rhd.
Ritchie getzlaf kase
Rakell steel kessel
Silfverberg henrique terry
Jones rawney sprong

Comtois/lundestrom/sheerwood potential call ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00