Celebrity Death: Phil Spector, 81

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can someone give me an example of his musical genius to really sink my teeth into? I'm only really familiar with him arguably ruining Beatles-related albums with his wall of sound, which I tended to hate (at best, being serviceable in some cases when his tendencies were held in check) and then murdering someone.

Does he have amazing solo albums from before that or something?

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Can someone give me an example of his musical genius to really sink my teeth into? I'm only really familiar with him arguably ruining Beatles-related albums with his wall of sound, which I tended to hate (at best, being serviceable in some cases when his tendencies were held in check) and then murdering someone.

Does he have amazing solo albums from before that or something?

he is not known as a recording artist. he is famous for producing the wall of sound

here is a short list of songs he produced
Category:Song recordings produced by Phil Spector - Wikipedia

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
he is not known as a recording artist. he is famous for producing the wall of sound

here is a short list of songs he produced
Category:Song recordings produced by Phil Spector - Wikipedia
I thought he did both for some reason. Was he considered a better producer before he did the Beatles stuff (seems like it from the last few examples)? I actively disliked what he did with Let It Be, All Things Must Pass, and Imagine and thought he kind of butchered otherwise solid material (especially All Things Must Pass-- the stripped down versions gave me a whole new appreciation for the material). Plastic Ono Band sounds well produced to my ears (and doesn't seem to have the wall of sound), but nothing I'd think of as special.

Is that when he jumped the shark and took his schtick too far, or is that what he's famous and considered a musical genius for? He's considered a genius because of things like Be My Baby?

Also, was the term "genius" something that he was heavily marketed and tagged with at the time and it just kind of stuck because of that or something? I hear that word thrown around for him way more than I hear it associated with other great artists and that confuses me a bit.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Murderer is dead. The world is better for it.

Being a musical genius is irrelevant,and the absolutely disgusting headlines downplaying what he did are revolting.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I thought he did both for some reason. Was he considered a better producer before he did the Beatles stuff (seems like it from the last few examples)? I actively disliked what he did with Let It Be, All Things Must Pass, and Imagine and thought he kind of butchered otherwise solid material (especially All Things Must Pass-- the stripped down versions gave me a whole new appreciation for the material). Plastic Ono Band sounds well produced to my ears (and doesn't seem to have the wall of sound), but nothing I'd think of as special.

Is that when he jumped the shark and took his schtick too far, or is that what he's famous and considered a musical genius for? He's considered a genius because of things like Be My Baby?

Also, was the term "genius" something that he was heavily marketed and tagged with at the time and it just kind of stuck because of that or something? I hear that word thrown around for him way more than I hear it associated with other great artists and that confuses me a bit.

Yes, his legend was built years before that -starting in 1958. Check out the Back to Mono box set. It is chronological.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It's hard for me to not have mixed feelings about him. On one hand, obviously he was a complete piece of shit. On the other, he was one of the most innovative producers of the 1960s and a huge influence on my favourite musician of all time, Brian Wilson. The Spector written and produced "River Deep - Mountain High" directly influenced my favourite song of all time, The Beach Boys' "Heroes and Villains". Influence aside, many Crystals, Ronettes, Righteous Brothers, etc. songs are great tracks in their own right.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He abused Ronnie Spector and children and murdered someone

No one will miss this animal

Yep. I always knew he was nuts even before his shot that woman. I remember in the 80's and 90's, reading about his relationship with Ronnie Spector and the lengths he went through to control her. Not shocking him and Ike Turner got along great.

He might have been a great producer and made great advancements in the industry. We can not over look the fact he was an animal with a lot of issues and he left a lot wreck in his wake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad