Former Bruins Phil Kessel

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
His Bruins tenure long past, Phil Kessel’s impression here remains strong - The Boston Globe

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Phil Kessel is something of an everyman hero to hockey fans. In a sport where nearly every player is ripped, his physique is a tad doughy. He is notoriously averse to the media song and dance, more than a tad prickly when asked a tough question. On social media, he has laughed at himself more than a few times.

On the ice he is, and always was, a great skater with a heck of a wrister, pucks flying off a stick with a candy-cane tape job. He has beaten goalies 357 times in the regular season with one of the softest sticks in the league. He is a unique bird.

The kid the Bruins drafted No. 5 overall in 2006 now plays in Arizona, dealt here by the Penguins last offseason for Alex Galchenyuk. He’ll soon play his 1,000th regular-season game, though he only turned 32 on Wednesday. The reason he’s about to get there at such a young age: He hasn’t missed a game in nine years. If he keeps alive the league’s second-longest active ironman streak (776 games with Saturday’s 1-0 loss to the Bruins), he’ll reach the millennium mark next Saturday at Colorado.

Kessel was a “very shy kid” with NHL-level skating and shooting ability, recalled Chara, then in his first year as captain. His opinion about the person was cemented during Kessel’s December 2006 bout with testicular cancer.

“It was tough to see,” said Chara of Kessel, who was 19. “I thought it made him stronger.”

Kessel had surgery and missed 10 games, returning Jan. 9, 2007. His perseverance earned him the Bill Masterton Trophy. Since, he has continued to be an advocate for early detection. Last September, Kessel, then with Pittsburgh, was honored by the Congressional Families Cancer Prevention Program.

“I was just lucky,” he said during a speech. “It wouldn’t be fair for me to stand by and not help raise awareness.”

Patrice Bergeron, then a 21-year-old alternate captain, said Kessel was upbeat and positive.

“Always,” said Bergeron, who had his own medical scares, concussions nearly ending his young career. “Obviously we didn’t see him for a while when he was recovering from that surgery, but that guy was very resilient. It was a tough time for anyone. I thought he handled it pretty remarkably.

“I’ve always had a lot of respect for that guy. He’s a tremendous talent. People are all over him sometimes but he’s had a tremendous career.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’ve always liked Kessel. His playoff stats don’t lie.

Could he be the answer to the 2nd line question ? (Jk, jk,)

Clode scratching Kessel for Jeremy freaking Reich is still one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

I liked Kessel, and I think he's a generally misunderstood kind of guy. It worked out for the Bruins when we traded him, and Phil ended up getting two rings of his own. No hard feelings.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He may still be a hall of famed
2 cups over 800 points

I have a feeling Phil is gonna have to wait a few years if he’s nominated because of his relationship with the knights of the keyboard

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think Phil is an awkward, introverted guy who wasn't ready for the pressure of media scrutiny so early in his career. I also think that out of a misguided desire to make him a franchise brand player his parents and agents manufactured his deal to Toronto, which might've been the worst thing for him at such a young age given his natural personality type. I assume they also wanted to get him out of Claude Julien's system and into Ron Wilson's. Following that, the fact that Burke gambled so badly on that trade and gave away two high first round picks while surrounding Phil with nobody to work with just increased the pressure and scrutiny on a guy who never should've been put in that situation to begin with.

I don't recall any stories being leaked about him being a bad guy or a problem in the Bruins lockerroom. I've only heard that he was aloof, quiet, and not close with everyone, but can't remember hearing anything implying he was a negative influence in the room (politely correct me if I am mistaken). There were way more red flags with Dougie Hamilton, who was a similar case of a guy who was aloof and didn't fit in. Hamilton seems to be regarded as arrogant and ex-teammates seem to grumble about him every time he gets traded.

Reactions: Estlin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
@EverettMike called it immediately and said you can win a cup with Kessel as your 3rd best forward, he isn't a franchise figurehead.

That being said, he was a courageous young man who battled cancer and came back early, and was an absolute warrior year three playing through a torn labrum and leading the team in goals. He had 36 goals as a 21 year old and wanted to be paid for it, didn't want a bridge deal (God forbid!) and lots of frauds here turned on him immediately. He was then painted as a guy who "thought the rink was round". "didn't know where the weight room was". and "weird". Typical

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think Phil is an awkward, introverted guy who wasn't ready for the pressure of media scrutiny so early in his career. I also think that out of a misguided desire to make him a franchise brand player his parents and agents manufactured his deal to Toronto, which might've been the worst thing for him at such a young age given his natural personality type. I assume they also wanted to get him out of Claude Julien's system and into Ron Wilson's. Following that, the fact that Burke gambled so badly on that trade and gave away two high first round picks while surrounding Phil with nobody to work with just increased the pressure and scrutiny on a guy who never should've been put in that situation to begin with.

I don't recall any stories being leaked about him being a bad guy or a problem in the Bruins lockerroom. I've only heard that he was aloof, quiet, and not close with everyone, but can't remember hearing anything implying he was a negative influence in the room (politely correct me if I am mistaken). There were way more red flags with Dougie Hamilton, who was a similar case of a guy who was aloof and didn't fit in. Hamilton seems to be regarded as arrogant and ex-teammates seem to grumble about him every time he gets traded.

I think this is right on.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
@EverettMike called it immediately and said you can win a cup with Kessel as your 3rd best forward, he isn't a franchise figurehead.

That being said, he was a courageous young man who battled cancer and came back early, and was an absolute warrior year three playing through a torn labrum and leading the team in goals. He had 36 goals as a 21 year old and wanted to be paid for it, didn't want a bridge deal (God forbid!) and lots of frauds here turned on him immediately. He was then painted as a guy who "thought the rink was round". "didn't know where the weight room was". and "weird". Typical
I was a big Kessel fan. I get soft one-dimensional players are not popular on the Bruins board, but if that player shows up in big games, which he has his entire career, that's the type of one-dimensional player you can have around. He had three points in that game seven the Leafs lost in OT, he did everything he could for that team.

But I think he wanted out and wanted a deal in Boston because Chiarelli tried to trade him several times during his career. I don't blame the player showing little loyalty when his boss tries to trade him every chance he gets. And for players like Keith Tkachuk at the twilight of his career.

Reactions: Lo97 and Spooner st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad