Phil Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not sure how the U.S. going to use Kessel, meaning is he going to get a regular shift at the expense of another player, or is he going to be the extra guy who gets some PP time and perhaps a regular shift against a "lesser" opponent? He's not going to have an Ovechkin like effect at this point because he's quite a bit smaller and weaker physically. Skillwise he's right there, so if given a regular shift, and a bit of good fortune he COULD put up some good numbers, maybe about 6-8 points.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i wouldn't expect much out of him...not just because of his age but because he'll probably be the 12th or 13th forward

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
NYR469 said:
i wouldn't expect much out of him...not just because of his age but because he'll probably be the 12th or 13th forward

I think he'll get more ice time than being the 13th forward would imply. He could very well be the most talented goal scorer on the US roster. He should be a big part of the power play.

I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do at this level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I think he'll get more ice time than being the 13th forward would imply. He could very well be the most talented goal scorer on the US roster. He should be a big part of the power play.

I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do at this level.

He's been getting quite a bit of positive press lately. I read over at Mckeens that during that exhibition game he was blowing by the likes of Lidstrom.

CH Wizard

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Kessel will never be as good as Crosby...
lol

He didn't say , He'll be better then Crosby.

He said that , Kessel outscored Crosby in the WJC's last year.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
thegreatone said:
He didn't say , He'll be better then Crosby.

He said that , Kessel outscored Crosby in the WJC's last year.

Kessel didn´t play at last years WJC!!!

He played at u18WJC!!!!

Crosby was already to good for u18WJC so he didn´t perform there.....

So how outscored Kessel Crosby?????

:shakehead

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Kessel didn´t play at last years WJC!!!

He played at u18WJC!!!!

Crosby was already to good for u18WJC so he didn´t perform there.....

So how outscored Kessel Crosby?????

:shakehead

Someone want to translate this? My Swahili is a bit rusty...

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
He's been getting quite a bit of positive press lately. I read over at Mckeens that during that exhibition game he was blowing by the likes of Lidstrom.

I didn't personally see the game but it was a charity game to benefit an Ann Arbor, Michigan hospital. A bunch of NHLers including Yzerman, Lidstrom, Draper, Federov, Hatcher, Chelios and Smolinski played the US-18 team. Apparenlty, Kessel did make a nice move on Lidstrom but take it for what its worth, this was a charity game and the effort was that of such. I think the NHLers were just happy to be on the ice again, having a good time. I mean they were coached by Kid Rock, Tara Reid and Bobby Higinson (Detroit Tiger). So basically what I'm saying is don't put alot of stock in Kessel "blowing by" Nick Lidstrom.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:
I didn't personally see the game but it was a charity game to benefit an Ann Arbor, Michigan hospital. A bunch of NHLers including Yzerman, Lidstrom, Draper, Federov, Hatcher, Chelios and Smolinski played the US-18 team. Apparenlty, Kessel did make a nice move on Lidstrom but take it for what its worth, this was a charity game and the effort was that of such. I think the NHLers were just happy to be on the ice again, having a good time. I mean they were coached by Kid Rock, Tara Reid and Bobby Higinson (Detroit Tiger). So basically what I'm saying is don't put alot of stock in Kessel "blowing by" Nick Lidstrom.

I agree with the premise of your post, but all reports say the game wasn't exactly shinny on the pond. Even in a setting like this pros don't like being made to look "bad."

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree with the premise of your post, but all reports say the game wasn't exactly shinny on the pond. Even in a setting like this pros don't like being made to look "bad."

Agreed, sounds like this game may have been a bit better than a shinny game but I think this was an instance where Lidstrom under estimated a highly skilled 17 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad