Speculation: Phil Kessel to NJ

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Phil Kessel is only owed 5.95 million combined for the next two years and holds a 6.8 million cap hit. I think this is an excellent bounce back target who ensures NJ is at the floor without breaking the bank. Even if he produces at 40 points over the next two seasons at roughly 3 million per year that is great value. His Relative XGF% is pretty much even on Arizona so it isn't as if he completely fell off a cliff 5 on 5.

Thoughts?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
reports were that malkin hated in him in pittsburgh for checking out and being lazy after winning the cups so not sure that's the veteran leadership i'd want on this team

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I guess I'm in the middle when it comes to this continued rebuild. I have no interest in trading Palms for futures, because I think we'll need him more, but I have absolutely no interest in trading futures for The Thrill right now.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don’t want him unless he’s basically free. he seems like a whiny little shit

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Phil Kessel is only owed 5.95 million combined for the next two years and holds a 6.8 million cap hit. I think this is an excellent bounce back target who ensures NJ is at the floor without breaking the bank. Even if he produces at 40 points over the next two seasons at roughly 3 million per year that is great value. His Relative XGF% is pretty much even on Arizona so it isn't as if he completely fell off a cliff 5 on 5.

Thoughts?
The Devils will be playing at around $65 million this year with no significant adds. No need to worry about the floor.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Thoughts?

NO.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you want to trade Palmieri then Kessel is the type of short term guy you need to replace him, especially since you need to spend some money. Unless you want the golden boy playing with a shot Wayne Simmonds again and further stagnating.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If you want to trade Palmieri then Kessel is the type of short term guy you need to replace him, especially since you need to spend some money. Unless you want the golden boy playing with a shot Wayne Simmonds again and further stagnating.

Yeah, this is a good point. I'd much rather extend Palmieri than trade him away, and trade for Kessel, unless Kessel would be almost free, which I don't think he would be.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
What if you don't want to trade Palmieri?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kessel's really bad defensively. I cannot see Arizona trading him now that they presumably paid out his bonus. Pass.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The point about using Kessel to fill in for Palms is a good one.

From what I see, AZ is not an ideal trading partner right now for the Devils. They're mostly likely looking to ship out veteran players for futures. The Devils (IMO) shouldn't be trading away draft picks for short term fixes. Or, that shouldn't be the core of what the Devils are trying to do.

But, the Devils do have too many bottom six forward prospects. If they could get a good return on Palms and then turn a couple of surplus bottom six guys (maybe Bastian + McLeod) into Kessel and a mid round pick, that might be worth it. But, it's a secondary move - it's not where the Devils should be focusing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm definitely not giving up anything of value for him, and since most of his cap hit is air anyway it wouldn't really impact an internal budget, so I'm not opposed to bringing him on for this year and next at a very low cost if Arizona is basically just giving him away, but he's probably not getting a ton of rope 5 on 5. He's mostly a power play guy at this point, I think.

That being said, I'd have concerns regarding the personality...that seems to be a thing, and I don't know enough about him or that to really say for sure how big of a deal that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad