Value of: Phil Kessel to Chicago

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Pens fans - What would it take for Chicago to acquire Kessel? Hawks could offer up our 2020 1st as well as potentially one of our top 4 defense prospects and maybe a roster player. Could also consider taking a cap dump (excluding Jack Johnson) off your hands.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saad, one of Krys, Mitchell or Beaudin and a balancer for Kessel and a balancer is what I'd want to do. I don't think Saad and one of those 3 for Kessel is enough, but I'm not sure what else is needed.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Saad, one of Krys, Mitchell or Beaudin and a balancer for Kessel and a balancer is what I'd want to do. I don't think Saad and one of those 3 for Kessel is enough, but I'm not sure what else is needed.

Saad + Krys + Sikura or Perlini maybe? Hawks could take back Gudbranson to bridge the value. Saad had a very good second half of the year once Q was gone, so it would be hard to give him up given he looked like vintage Saad by end of season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saad + Krys + Sikura or Perlini maybe?

My initial reaction is that Saad, Krys and Perlini for Kessel is too much from Chicago, so I'd take it :laugh:

Perlini is an interesting name to throw out because the Penguins had problems with natural goal scoring talent in their bottom-6. Perlini may have some flaws in his game, but he can certainly shoot the puck. I'd be interested in seeing what other Hawks fans would want on top of Kessel for Saad, Perlini and Krys.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
My initial reaction is that Saad, Krys and Perlini for Kessel is too much from Chicago, so I'd take it :laugh:

Perlini is an interesting name to throw out because the Penguins had problems with natural goal scoring talent in their bottom-6. Perlini may have some flaws in his game, but he can certainly shoot the puck. I'd be interested in seeing what other Hawks fans would want on top of Kessel for Saad, Perlini and Krys.

I think it's probably too much as well. Not saying I'd do it, just curious what the core pieces would need to look like from Pens perspective. Sounds like Saad+Krys for starters.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I dunno about Kessel. But, Saad when he's feelin' it is an ice tilting beastly power forward. When he's not feeling it he just skates from station to station totally invisible. The guy 100% is not reaching his potential IMO and if being back home can light a fire under his *** he'd be a huge addition to the Penguins. A trade to the Pens might do him a world of good.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Saad makes logical sense. I really want Perlini though.

Saad+Perlini+1st

for

Kessel+Rust

Close?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Saad makes logical sense. I really want Perlini though.

Saad+Perlini+1st

for

Kessel+Rust

Close?
Nahh I don’t like it. I don’t see why you want Perlini that badly he seems pretty average to me, no point in swapping him and Rust.

I don’t hate the idea of Kessel for Saad+ but I also don’t love it, as I think we can do better. Also, aren’t Kane and Toews like best friends with Saad? I heard they were pissed when he got traded to Columbus and that’s why they traded back for him. Really doubt he’s even available.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Our team D sucks and Saad’s one of our only forwards who can play D very well. The Hawks have plenty of offense, if they need to add anything up front, it’s probably a two way winger.

Reactions: Mosby

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
While Kessell is obviously better than Saad, I don't think that type of trade makes much sense for the Hawks who are severely lacking 2 way forwards.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I've always figured Chicago would be after a guy like Rust first. He's a bridge player who can not only play throughout your lineup (plays lines 1-4 for the Pens, and PK's well) - but can play both Eastern Conference and WC brands of hockey.

That said, there's plenty Chicago could offer up for Kessel to make it work. I haven't thought of them as a team in the mix though - figured the deal (if/when it happens) would be with either the Panthers, Leafs, Coyotes, Hurricanes, or Dallas.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pens fans - What would it take for Chicago to acquire Kessel? Hawks could offer up our 2020 1st as well as potentially one of our top 4 defense prospects and maybe a roster player. Could also consider taking a cap dump (excluding Jack Johnson) off your hands.

..and to the original proposal:

Pens fans are in three camps (from what I've seen):
1) Not trading Kessel because his production vs. cap is irreplaceable.
2) Trading straight up for an upgrade on D
3) Trading for pick(s) to clear cap space to acquire a different linemate for Geno/better D

That gap used to be larger but people are discussing it more and more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Our team D sucks and Saad’s one of our only forwards who can play D very well. The Hawks have plenty of offense, if they need to add anything up front, it’s probably a two way winger.

This may be asking for too much, but would you do one of your younger PMD for Rust if that's the case? I was going to ask for Forsling, but I feel like the reply would be "I'd want McCann for Forsling" or "I'm not trading Forsling".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad