Phil Kessel - "The Tao of Phil" - TSN Feature 2017

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hate to **** on the video, but what is it trying to tell me? It's a pretty poor overuse of a metaphor and all they do is overuse it w/ no reason.

I would like a 10-15 minute video of Phil's journey to 2 cups. But this video? Pretty lame.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
To be fair, the person who wrote it is part of that gang on tsn "The Reporters" which includes Steve Simmons, I didn't expect much.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Most recent Phil thread i could find to post this:
#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 50-41

37. Phil Kessel, RW, Pittsburgh Penguins
Kessel set NHL career highs in assists (58) and points (92) in 2017-18, when he scored 34 goals, marking the 10th straight season he scored at least 20 goals. The 30-year-old led the NHL in power-play points (42) and played in every game for the eighth straight season. Kessel has played in 692 straight games, the third-longest active streak in the NHL behind Florida Panthers defenseman Keith Yandle (715) and Toronto Maple Leafs center Patrick Marleau (706).
He did play through nagging injuries last season that eventually affected his play in PO but i wasn't aware he played 692 straigh games, impressive even though he tends to avoid dangerous traffic zones like boards.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It is funny how Yandle and Marleau are criticized equally with the same type of talk that is lodged at Kessel.

I know I have advocated trading Kessel, but he is a great, great player. Our RW makes him expendable, but honestly in some alternate universes I’d be interested to see if we moved Rust or Hornqvist for a comparable LW to drop Hags to the third what would happen this year.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It is funny how Yandle and Marleau are criticized equally with the same type of talk that is lodged at Kessel.

I know I have advocated trading Kessel, but he is a great, great player. Our RW makes him expendable, but honestly in some alternate universes I’d be interested to see if we moved Rust or Hornqvist for a comparable LW to drop Hags to the third what would happen this year.

I like where your head is at.

Though likely you and I are the only ones.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
1 second after trading Hornqvist.....

200.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As an intangible I agree 100%.

But, in reality he’s old and with how people turned on Kunitz, I can easily see a career path very similar with that contract.

Hornqvist is an amazing player tho’
Except for some reason Crosby hates playing with him and loved playing with Kunitz. :skeptic:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Kunitz was way more skilled with the puck. Hornqvist is way more of a beast in front of the net.

Hornqvist is a pretty good passer from the boards in which he usually wins those battles. Coming down the ice not so much.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As an intangible I agree 100%.

But, in reality he’s old and with how people turned on Kunitz, I can easily see a career path very similar with that contract.

Hornqvist is an amazing player tho’

Hornqvist is 31 years old. Kunitz was "turned on" around 2015/2016, when he was 36 or 37. Hornqvist's current extension will be over by the time hes the same age Kunitz was when fans got tired of his broken down body.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Most recent Phil thread i could find to post this:
#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 50-41

He did play through nagging injuries last season that eventually affected his play in PO but i wasn't aware he played 692 straigh games, impressive even though he tends to avoid dangerous traffic zones like boards.

He's about to become Penguins' all-time ironman as well.

Most consecutive regular season games played with Pittsburgh Penguins (min. 200):

319 GP Craig Adams
313 GP Ron Schock
302 GP Jordan Staal
276 GP Nick Harbaruk
254 GP Evgeni Malkin
246 GP Phil Kessel
238 GP Pascal Dupuis
235 GP Ron Stackhouse
219 GP Alexei Kovalev
207 GP Peter Lee
207 GP Jaromir Jagr
202 GP Dave Burrows
201 GP Ron Francis

Most consecutive regular season+playoff games played with Pittsburgh Penguins (min. 200):

358 GP Jordan Staal
328 GP Ron Schock
307 GP Phil Kessel
303 GP Evgeni Malkin
290 GP Nick Harbaruk
266 GP Pascal Dupuis
250 GP Ron Stackhouse
243 GP Jaromir Jagr
241 GP Kevin Stevens
234 GP Ron Francis
219 GP Chris Kunitz
214 GP Dave Burrows
214 GP Peter Lee
203 GP Joe Mullen
200 GP Paul Coffey

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
How weird is it that Geno's name is on that list? It seems like it's been half a decade now of every season, Geno getting some kind of injury that sees him miss 10+ games. :laugh:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
How weird is it that Geno's name is on that list? It seems like it's been half a decade now of every season, Geno getting some kind of injury that sees him miss 10+ games. :laugh:

Yeah, that streak is from Geno's first NHL-game. He missed training camp and first few games of his rookie season (IIRC it was due to concussion?) but when he finally stepped on ice he was very durable for a long time. But ever since that streak ended, not a season has gone by without some injury for him.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, that streak is from Geno's first NHL-game. He missed training camp and first few games of his rookie season (IIRC it was due to concussion?) but when he finally stepped on ice he was very durable for a long time. But ever since that streak ended, not a season has gone by without some injury for him.
Probably from when Leclair took his legs out and f***ed up Geno's shoulder. :laugh:

What a mess that was. Geno finally manages to make his way over here after it looks like all hope is lost (shady 3am contract signing, probably forced/threatened into it) and Leclair biffs it behind the net, taking Geno's legs out and sending him into a full flip onto his head/shoulder.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Well i got some good news for you Pixies.
Brass or Rust can play LW which moves Hags to the 3rd without trading anyone!

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad