Phil Kessel ranks 43rd on TSN's Top 50 NHL players

Yorgeez

Jul 4, 2009
I had the same reaction as you it's not really a big deal but talk about double standards, I just feel like Kessel doesn't get the respect he deserves. I hope he has another big year for us, the top 50 list be damned.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The ranking appears to consider a players entire career rather than current worth. For example the Sedins, Datsyuk, St. Louis have obviously all had great careers but I wouldn't trade Kessel for any of them today.

not really your talking about the Art ross trophy winner last year(St. Louis) for leading the league in points, and a guy in Datsyuk who had 3 less points then Kessel while playing Selke level of Defense. both those guys are better players then Kessel is currently you wouldn't trade for them because there older and could be going down hill soon but that doesn't mean right now there not the better player which they are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432765

On TSN's ranking of the Top 50 NHL players Kessel ranked 43rd which is an improvement from ranking 47th in the previous one. However I was surprised that he didn't rank among the top 30 or even 20 based on his play from the past few seasons and they have Taylor Hall out ranking him at 39th. So what are your opinions or does something like this even matter?

Its based on a compilation consensus ranking of NHL GMs and Coaches (Nonis or Carlyle may be among them)

For the first time, TSN's Top 50 ranking was determined by a group of 14 NHL coaches and general managers, representing seven Eastern Conference teams and seven Western Conference teams.

Kessel was ranked the #7th best RW and 43 player in their opinion.

On the TV show they explained his ranking being based on playing a non primary position of either Center, Defense or Goalie and the fact that he is essentially a perimeter player, i.e. that doesn't win key face-offs, play defense etc in his style despite being among the scoring leaders in the NHL. Essentially GMs\Coaches put player value and contribution to more then just points alone when it comes to winning.

Last edited:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
It's not Leafs hate. I don't like throwing that term around because then people assume we have persecution complexes or something. What it is an under-appreciation of what Kessel brings, and the fact that everyone's pigeonholed him as a one-dimensional, lazy sniper.

Like you said, he's one of the best scorers in the game. He's added a lethal playmaking side to his game, and he's at least passable on the backcheck. But that's not the narrative, so I doubt anyone but us, the guys who watch him every night, will ever acknowledge that. Phil's never going to be ranked higher by TSN because they've already made up their mind about what kind of player he is.

By TSN, do mean the 14 GM's and coachs from the Western Conference and Eastern Conference?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
true but he still easily deserves to be higher then kessel 60 goals in his last full season

Kessel's career best is 37 goals in comparison while Stamkos has a Rocket Richard trophy and 51, 45 & 60 goals in his last 3 seasons and over 90 points in all 3 and younger as well.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Neal has never outproduced Kessel in a season, despite playing with Evgeni Malkin for the past two years.

How, exactly, is Neal ranked at 34 and Kessel at 43?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Neal has never outproduced Kessel in a season, despite playing with Evgeni Malkin for the past two years.

How, exactly, is Neal ranked at 34 and Kessel at 43?

Neal is a case where it seems he is just ranked too high, overrated I suppose is the word. If Kessel is 43rd, I'd think Neal would have to be around 45-48.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
1049.gif

Pathetic.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Kessel's career best is 37 goals in comparison while Stamkos has a Rocket Richard trophy and 51, 45 & 60 goals in his last 3 seasons and over 90 points in all 3 and younger as well.

I don't think anybody is saying that Kessel is better than Stamkos. They're saying that Kessel is being punished for his perceived lack of defense and Stamkos isn't.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Yes, top 5 point producing forward in the league is 43rd best player in the league. Makes total sense. ****IN REATRDS

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Whatever, top 10 in scoring in the league isn't enough to impress some coaches and GM's. And twice in 2 years at that. Next time just leave him off the list when he scores in the top 10 3 years straight.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Why is Patrick Kane ranked so high? Can someone explain that one to me?

Teams that have success tend to have good players. Kane is highly regarded because he plays for a good team, like Lucic, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa.

Obviously if Kessel played for the Hawks and Kane for the Leafs, there would be a switch of numbers in the "Top 50".

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand all the butthurt. 43rd is actually pretty good when you consider defensemen and goalies are on that list, therefore points alone wont get you to the top. The panel also explained how GMs and coaches may value certain positions over others which explains why guys like Staal are ranked above as well. St.Louis was 1st in points last season and he was ranked 26th. Its a good position all things considered.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
43rd is a huge snub for Kessel at this point, I think. Knowing the players that have been mentioned ahead of him here . . . it's a huge snub. Even if ranking centers above wingers (I think this is patently unfair as a rule, but clearly, they only follow the rule with players not in their favor), Kessel still deserves to be top 20.

In terms of controlling the game-type players . . . he's a step below the Crosby and Stamkos level, sure; but certainly right beside the Eric Staal, Tavares's of the NHL.

It can't be looked at as anything but a predisposition against the hype-machine of Toronto, as if they just assume every Leaf is overrated automatically, and they make feeble excuses to put him well down from where he should be.

This is good news for Kessel's motivation, btw. I look at it as a good thing, in a way! :)

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think my favourite part was saying his position and that he and St. Louis had the most points of any wingers the last two years in the same breath.

Turned it off after that anyways. It was very clearly more about reputation than production. Ah well.

BayStreetBullies*

I don't understand all the butthurt. 43rd is actually pretty good when you consider defensemen and goalies are on that list, therefore points alone wont get you to the top. The panel also explained how GMs and coaches may value certain positions over others which explains why guys like Staal are ranked above as well. St.Louis was 1st in points last season and he was ranked 26th. Its a good position all things considered.

That sounds like a BS reason to rank certain players ahead of others. So just because Kessel is a winger, that makes him less deserving of the top 30 or 20? The list is a joke, TSN is a joke.

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
43rd? an objective view on HFboards?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm a fan of Kessel, but alot of you guys need a reality check! (43rd sounds about right)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Kessel played in like Pittsburgh or Washington, he'd be ranked like 5th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad