Phil Kessel or Patrik Elias?

• Kessel

• Elias

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Who was the better player?

patrik-elias-of-the-new-jersey-devils-checks-phil-kessel-of-the-picture-id165882220

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm a Kessel fan, but I have to go with Elias. Kessel's best three or four best offensive seasons combined may be better than Elias's best three or four offensive seasons combined, but Elias was a better all-around player in general. Elias was outstanding in the playoffs over a rather lengthy stretch of time. I think Kessel's been a very good playoff performer in his career.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Elias for me. He was the best forward on a team that won two cups. I know those teams were built on defense but Elias was a very good two way player so it worked. Kessel is great and probably more talented but I don't think he could be the go to guy on a Cup winning team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Elias for me. He was the best forward on a team that won two cups. I know those teams were built on defense but Elias was a very good two way player so it worked. Kessel is great and probably more talented but I don't think he could be the go to guy on a Cup winning team.

Phillip should have the won the Smythe over Sidney in 2016.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Phillip should have the won the Smythe over Sidney in 2016.
Philip*

I'm not arguing that but that wasn't my point. I'd take Kessel over Justin Williams despite the Smythe. My point was that Elias was the best forward on a two time Cup winning team. That's 82 games plus playoffs. Kessel is the 3rd best forward on the Pens and when he was the best forward in Toronto they made the playoffs once in six years and got bounced in the first round.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm surprised by the votes for Kessel. Elias was definitely better. Similar scorer but one of the better defensive wingers in the game, and not soft as butter.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Elias was as good offensively, and a better defensive player imo, as well as being more versatile.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Even as a Rangers fan,i vote Elias quite easily.More complete player.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Never got to watch Prime Elias, but I remember him being pretty good in his later days in Jersey.

I’ll take Kessel for his speed and shot

member 157595

I'm not a Kessel hater but Elias all day long. An incredibly versatile player.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Elias was the fourth or fifth best player on those teams, just like Kessel.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Who was better?Guy was as a complete player as they have ever had on those Cup winning teams.
That wasn't what I was responding to. Where I took issue was the suggestion that since Elias was the best forward on his team in the playoffs (there were arguments for others), he must be better than Kessel. Never mind the fact that Elias didn't have the level of competition at forward on his team that Kessel did. Beigg the best forward doesn't mean the most important player, he was far from that. Ditto for Kessel. It would be like saying Letang was better than Stevens because he was the best defenseman while it can be argued that Stevens was behind Niedermayer.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
That wasn't what I was responding to. Where I took issue was the suggestion that since Elias was the best forward on his team in the playoffs (there were arguments for others), he must be better than Kessel. Never mind the fact that Elias didn't have the level of competition at forward on his team that Kessel did. Beigg the best forward doesn't mean the most important player, he was far from that. Ditto for Kessel. It would be like saying Letang was better than Stevens because he was the best defenseman while it can be argued that Stevens was behind Niedermayer.
Foward wise,he was by far their most important player.They used him in all situations and he did it all for them.Scored,matched up against the best players,took key faceoffs and was invaluable on the special teams.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Foward wise,he was by far their most important player.They used him in all situations and he did it all for them.Scored,matched up against the best players,took key faceoffs and was invaluable on the special teams.
I guess what I'm trying to say is... So what? Overall, he was about as important to the Devils as Kessel was to the Penguins. So it's irrelevant.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
This is Elias relatively easily for me. Elias was just as good offensively (if not better, close but I take Elias probably by slim margin) and far better defensively. I would absolutely take him

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018

They were built on defense, which Elias was very good at. If we thought about hockey back then the way we do now, especially if we had analytics, we'd have all seen Patrik Elias the way we see Patrice Bergeron today. I think everyone has a hot-take Hall of Fame candidate. Mine is Elias.

I love Kessel. I have multiple Kessel jerseys. I got blackout drunk when the Leafs traded him. He's my all-time favorite player, but I lean Elias here.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

There was no argument for Niedermayer over Stevens or Elias on the first win

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
You know how players transition from center to wing as they get older to ease the burden?

Elias moved to center in his 30s and put up fantastic numbers along with great two-way play. Gomez, Gionta, and Clarkson should give him half of their career earnings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad