phil kessel is king

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

La-La-Laprise said:
I have Kessel going #2 for 2006. Here is my top 20.

1. Michael Frolik - LW - Kladno, CZE
2. Phil Kessel - C - US U18, USA
3. Jesse Joensuu - LW - Assat, FIN
4. Alexandre Vasyunov - LW - Yarslavl, RUS
5. Bryan Little - C - Barrie, CAN
6. Jonathan Toews - C - SSM, CAN
7. Peter Mueller - C - US U18, USA
8. Ben Maxwell - LW - Kootenay, CAN
9. James Sheppard - LW - Cape Breton, CAN
10. Tomas Marcinko - RW - Kosice, SVK
11. Ben Strait - D - US U17, USA
12. Vlad Zharkov - RW - CSKA, RUS
13. Jonathan Bernier - G - Lewiston, CAN
14. Matthew Corentto - D - Saginaw, CAN
15. Ivan Vishnevski - D - RUS 88, RUS
16. Tony Lagerstorm - LW - Sodertaljie, SWE
17. Jean-Christophe Blanchard - G - Moncton, CAN
18. David Ruzika - D - Kladno, CZE
19. Jordan Staal - D - Peterborough, CAN
20. Benjamin Breault - LW - Baie-Comeau, CAN

From the players i've seen I have to say that's a great list!

2006 well be one hell of a draft. The Fins top prospect in years is eligible, The best American born player since Mike Modano is eligible, and Michael Frolik might be the best Czech prospect since Jagr. Never has three countries produced three phenoms like this...it was close with Kovalchuk and Spezza but I can't remember when three seperate countries could say that there best prospect in years is eligible. Overall, aside from the 1st overall pick, you probally want a top 3 pick in 06 just as bad if not more then 05.

I haven't seen Jesse Joensuu or Michael Frolik, who have to be considered the top players there respect countries have produced in quite some time, although Michalek did play a regular shift in the extra league at the same time, so it well be interesting to see what is next for both players.
I also haven't seen The Russian Vasyunov.

Kessel is the #2 prospect for now, no question... The guy is a top six forward for USA at the U-20 at the age of 16, not to mention he is excelling at it. He put some great one on one moves vs the Swisse and showed his elite speed.

But don't overlook American Peter Mueller, the guy is going to top out at a very impressive size package, He's a physical player who plays with a lot of heart, his stickhandling, shot, playmaking ability, and oooo boy that shot are extremely good.
He'll be a top 5 pick likely in 06, mabey even one of the top 3 picks.

I would actually put James Sheppard over Ben Maxwell my self. Both are extremely mature but from the limited bit i've seen of Maxwell, compared to the more viewings i've seen of James, Sheppard just has the more overal raw skill package on top of his mature play that well have scouts ooozing.

I tried to catch Bernier but haven't been successful.... What can you tell me about him la-la-laprise?

Jordan Staal is the biggest and most physical of the Staals and is just a hinch below his brothers in skating ability. His hands and offensive skills are a bit raw.. So having him down at 19 is reasonable because he doesn't have the ellite offensive tools his brother did.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Since we're talking about the '06 draft, watch out for Erik Johnson of the US U17 team. I've heard a number of suggestions that he is one of, in not the best '88 born prospects in North America.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
No way Toews is better prospect than Mueller. Mueller is already doing very well against college teams and is a much more physically dominant player than Toews. Toews has skill but he has a way to go before he'll match Mueller

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
PuckFan...

From the content of your posts I'm guessing your from the Minnesota area. Do you have any opinions on Erik Johnson?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
I tried to catch Bernier but haven't been successful.... What can you tell me about him la-la-laprise?

Seen him play Midgets last year and have watched him twice this season. He has good size, he is quick and is very godo technically. The only thing i worry about him is his glove hand.

JC Blanchard isnt getting much props but he is a late 87 and is HUGE. 6'04 180, and has very good raw skills.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
PuckFan01 said:
No way Toews is better prospect than Mueller. Mueller is already doing very well against college teams and is a much more physically dominant player than Toews. Toews has skill but he has a way to go before he'll match Mueller

Not a big Mueller fan.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Not a big Mueller fan.

Apparently not. I'd ask why but then I wouldn't understand what's not to like about a kid who already has got pro size and very good skills who is putting up good stats against players that are two or more years older than he is . :lol

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:
PuckFan...

From the content of your posts I'm guessing your from the Minnesota area. Do you have any opinions on Erik Johnson?

If he isn't a top 10 player when his draft comes up, I'd be shocked. The kid has all the tools you'd want for a top blueliner. He has 1st line NHL defenseman written all over him. People on this board talk a lot about Jack Johnson and I believe Erik Johnson will be a better player as time goes along.

He appears to be getting better offensively as he was always pretty tough in his defensive zone. A lot of times when you see a kid his size play, they don't move very well but that is not true for him. He skates very well.

He may be the best defensive prospect to come out of Minnesota in a while and that is saying a lot when you consider some of the recent defenseman that have come out of the state.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PuckFan01 said:
Apparently not. I'd ask why but then I wouldn't understand what's not to like about a kid who already has got pro size and very good skills who is putting up good stats against players that are two or more years older than he is . :lol

Well, he's enough of a fan to have Mueller going 7th...... :p:

X-SHARKIE

La-La-Laprise said:
Seen him play Midgets last year and have watched him twice this season. He has good size, he is quick and is very godo technically. The only thing i worry about him is his glove hand.

JC Blanchard isnt getting much props but he is a late 87 and is HUGE. 6'04 180, and has very good raw skills.

Yeah every time I catch Moncton or Lewiston on east link respectivley I miss them.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
I enjoy when an American prospect gets some hype. It is good for the game.

Kessel's little drag moves will get predictable very quick against team Canada's defence.

His diminative size is a concern. I understand he is only 17, but if some of you think he will grow into the type of frame Crosby possesses you are just kidding yourself.

I mean when Crosby and Kessel are fighting for the puck in the corner, who is likely to win?

I haven't seen Crosby loose a one on one battle yet.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
stockbroker said:
I enjoy when an American prospect gets some hype. It is good for the game.

Kessel's little drag moves will get predictable very quick against team Canada's defence.

His diminative size is a concern. I understand he is only 17, but if some of you think he will grow into the type of frame Crosby possesses you are just kidding yourself.

I mean when Crosby and Kessel are fighting for the puck in the corner, who is likely to win?

I haven't seen Crosby loose a one on one battle yet.

stockbroker sounds like stockwizard.

No one is claiming Kessel is better than Crosby, and no one is claiming that Kessel is going to tear apart the Canadian Defense. But..he's only SEVENTEEN...barely. He's not even draft eligible until 2006, and will likely be in this tournament for the next few years. O'Sullivan and Parise were able to solve the Canadian defense last year...and Kessel's upside is supposedly even higher than either of those two...so it's not out of the realm of possiblity to say that yes, one day, Kessel could wreak havoc on Canada. No reason to get your panties in a bunch just yet. He's getting some hype, but not an unreasonable amount. He's just a very, very good looking prospect, right now.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
Yes, Kessel is a good prospect.

I just noticed team U.S.A doesn't have a single player over 200 pounds.

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
stockbroker said:

Kessel is a great prospect, he's gonna replace the current US elites.

Im hoping, as a Canada fan of course that our size up front, helps us win this year. Do what the Russians did to us in 2002 when Frolov, Grigorenko and friends over powered team Canada.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockbroker said:

Actually they have four (Stafford, Brown, Borer, Lee). It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people assume you're stupid, rather than talk and remove all doubt.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
Mobey said:
Actually they have four (Stafford, Brown, Borer, Lee). It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people assume you're stupid, rather than talk and remove all doubt.
They have four what? Good prospects? Thanks for educating me.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockbroker said:
They have four what? Good prospects? Thanks for educating me.

Four players 200 lbs or more, Einstein. Remember, you claimed they didn't have any players over 200 lbs? Oh yeah, you must have forget because your jingoism and constant staring at your Sidney Crosby poster got to your head.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
For obvious reasons, you gotta think that if Canada and the U.S. play each other, Kessel will be riding the pine.

He has looked nervous already. Could you imagine how nervous he would be if he had to square off against Crosby's line and the large Canadian D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad