Phil Kessel: A Candidate for the Richard Trophy?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Here's how I think the scoring race will look like :

1. Ovechkin (54)
2. Stamkos (49)
3. Kessel (46)
4. Seguin (43)
5. Perry (42)
6. Tarasenko (40)
7. Pavelski (38)
8 & 9. Pacioretty & Tavares (36)
10. Benn (34)

So the guy that finished 3rd and only 1 behind stamkos last year won't even crack the top 10....:help:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He might have been using a different stick back then. He definitely was on that Bauer pro camp video where he had a 102 mph shot.

Kessel's current wet noodle stick has so much flex that it's probably physically impossible to take a slapper more than 80 mph. He uses possibly the lowest flex in the entire NHL. Teammates have tried out his stick at practices and can't even use it. And he tried to take a one timer a few times on the PP last season and I think fanned on 90% of them. For all intents and purposes he just doesn't have a slapper in his arsenal.

No slapper isn't a bad thing because his snap shot is the best in the league in both velocity and release, but means he's going to score fewer goals than people think due to no one timers. On the PP he likes to rotate off the left half wall into the slot and take quick snap shots against a screen, or threaten shot and pass to the weak side. He'll create a lot of rebound and one-timer opportunities for Crosby and Malkin.

I actually see Crosby + Malkin's goal scoring increasing more than Kessel's as a result of the trade. Though maybe Kessel will whip out a stiff stick now that he's got a better partner?

Actually, it was 104+ for both Stamkos and him with Stamkos just beating him.

I only know this because I've watched this recently.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Kessel has the talent to with the Richard Trophy for sure...I don't think he possesses the drive necessary to do so however. There are two Phil Kessels if you ask me...there is a dominant version who looks capable of scoring at will and there is a "spinning the wheels" version of Kessel who vanishes for long stretches only popping the odd goal here and there. Yes he will be playing with a top line center, but he does have a tendency to have hot and cold streaks with regards to goal scoring, even when the players he is playing with are red hot offensively.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Actually, I think 87 and/or 71's goal scoring might benefit from Kessel's presence as much as the opposite in that The Phil will create space for his center that they haven't been able to enjoy the past seasons. No more having four guys collapse on the center knowing no one else on the ice can create offense.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Actually, I think 87 and/or 71's goal scoring might benefit from Kessel's presence as much as the opposite in that The Phil will create space for his center that they haven't been able to enjoy the past seasons. No more having four guys collapse on the center knowing no one else on the ice can create offense.

Yup.
This can go unnoticed. A player like Kessel is worried about by opposing teams. IMO they are either going iso on Sid/Gino and give Kessel open lanes or let the centers go to work.

He adds more than just a good shot. Players backup and give him room - he is a good compliment player, thats why I think he wont have trouble fitting in quickly.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
How on Earth do you write an article about the Richard trophy without mentioning the guy who has won it for 3 consecutive years and 5 out of the last 10?

Rather simple really, since the article isn't meant to discuss the guys who's won it 3 years in a row and 5 out of the last 10, or any of the previous winners really, rather to discuss the possibility of Kessel winning it there's no need to mention any of the previous winners.

As to the OP's question. I'm on the camp that doesn't expect a huge increase in Kessel's output to the point where he has a shot at winning it. Even though he'll be playing with Malkin and Crosby I don't expect 15-20 goal output difference.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
All I know is that Kessel not being the focal point of defenses is going to definitely increase his production.

He's going to be getting a lot more room to get his wicked wrist shot off, it's hard enough to defend when you got your best defensive units smothering him. I think next year he has a serious shot at the rocket richard.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
He'll probably only score around his career best of 36ish

I agree.. I don't think he is going to double his goal totals from last year like some people think..... I think he may however get more assists by virtue of playing on a line with others players that score a lot of goals as well.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Prediction for Kessel - 39 goals.

Prediction for 2nd place in Richard race - 45ish.

And I think Ovie could get into 60+ territory with high octane Kessels on his heals from the start.

There are good things going for him:
1) 2nd season with Trotz
2) Kuz emerging (with puck possession ability + more speed than Backstrom, so he can enter the zone with the puck for Ovie)
3) TJ Oshie / Williams as his RW

Remember, AO scored 50+ when Art Ross winner got only 80+ points. Getting 50 for Kessel will be almost impossible. But I like Phil!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
13-14?

How many did Stamkos miss that year?

It's a freak injury. Stamkos has been pretty healthy other than that and is younger than Nash. Do you expect Stamkos to break a leg every other year ? No.

Nash has only one full season in his entire career, Stamkos has 5.

I predict Nash gets injured again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad