Phil Kessel: A Candidate for the Richard Trophy?

AndrewGForbesTHW

Sep 8, 2014
Canada
Honest question - Kessel put up 37 goals twice playing with centre Tyler Bozak in Toronto. Chances are (and I'd be absolutely shocked if it didn't work out this way) he'll be playing with Malkin or Crosby. What are the chances that he competes for the Richard Trophy next season in 2015-16?

I think he could easily put up 40+ goals, but would that be enough or will he score even more?

READ: http://thehockeywriters.com/phil-kessel-a-rocket-richard-candidate-in-2015-16/

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The Caps will be even better this year so I don't see Ovechkin scoring less than 50.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He'll be right up there with Ovi, Stamkos and Perry. I've said it several times before i expect a 50+ goal season. He pretty much single handedly hit 30+ goals numerous times in Tor. Crosby/Malkin have to be able to set him up for at least 20 goals in an 82 game season

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Here's how I think the scoring race will look like :

1. Ovechkin (54)
2. Stamkos (49)
3. Kessel (46)
4. Seguin (43)
5. Perry (42)
6. Tarasenko (40)
7. Pavelski (38)
8 & 9. Pacioretty & Tavares (36)
10. Benn (34)

AndrewGForbesTHW

Sep 8, 2014
Canada
He'll be right up there with Ovi, Stamkos and Perry. I've said it several times before i expect a 50+ goal season. He pretty much single handedly hit 30+ goals numerous times in Tor. Crosby/Malkin have to be able to set him up for at least 20 goals in an 82 game season

And if he can stay in the lineup the way he did in Toronto - there's no reason he can't hit the 50 goal plateau.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
His numbers will increase about the same as Heaters did when he went to SJ..
On a more serious note, isn't he a score on the move with a wrist shot type? Not a bang home the one timer? I am asking not saying.....

I think he will finally crack 40, not sure about the Richard tho,

just noticed he is only 27, I thought he was older, all bets are off

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
On a more serious note, isn't he a score on the move with a wrist shot type? Not a bang home the one timer? I am asking not saying.....

His wrist shot is probably his most dangerous shot, considering how quick he lets it go but his slappers are solid too. He just doesn't use it as much.

AndrewGForbesTHW

Sep 8, 2014
Canada

Good question - he does have the tendency to score of the wing with a wrister but he's a pure goal scorer, I think there's other ways you'll see him produce in Pittsburgh.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland

Heatley went from a prime Spezza to Thornton. Kessel is going from Bozak to Crosby/Malkin, so basically the worst center to play on a top line to the best or 2nd best center in the world.

But I do think anyone expecting a 20 goal increase will be disappointed. I expect Ovie to win with ~50 goals and then several players (including Kessel) competing for 2nd with goals in the 40s. If I had to give an exact number, I’ll say he’ll score 42 goals.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
From fat, lazy and somebody no one wanted since he's not a player you'd win with to a Richard candidate in less than a week... What has changed?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
From fat, lazy and somebody no one wanted since he's not a player you'd win with to a Richard candidate in less than a week... What has changed?

I don't know, but I can see Crosby and Malkin taking a lot of the shots that Kessel would normally take so I am not sure where a massive goal increase would come from

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
He's always had Richard trophy abilities.

Yeah saying that would get you laughed at a month ago.

Anyway, don't expect Crosby/Malkin to boost his goal totals significantly. Maybe they push him into 40 goal territory but I can't see him hitting 50. His assists will go up dramatically though. The biggest problem in Toronto was that him and his linemates couldn't maintain offensive possession for long, it was usually a rush and a quick shot. Kessel getting more touches in on consistent offensive zone time should make him a 40/55 guy if all goes well.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Ovi still probably wins it. Having a forward like Oshie with Backstrom is also going to push him into Art Ross territory again.

But Crosby DEFINITELY wins the Ross with Kessel next to him.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Honestly, Kessel is an amazing player and for the most part it's been a pleasure watching him play for the Leafs.

I don't think he'll break 40 this year.

He had to do it all for Toronto; score, create chances. In Pittsburgh, they have Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Perron, Kunitz.

The offence there is far more spread out than it was here in Toronto. I think he'll be a fantastic addition, but I don't see him breaking 40 goals.

That's not a knock on him, it's just how I see the scoring happening.

AndrewGForbesTHW

Sep 8, 2014
Canada

It was select fans and media that didn't want him. Every player he played with loved Phil as a character in the dressing room. As for what's changed.... seriously?? Like seriously? How about Bozak to Crosby/Malkin?

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago

The Penguins bandwagon has not improved its Hockey IQ since drafting Sidney Crosby?

I mean I thought other Hawks fans were dumb, but this level of "Kessel is the second greatest scorer in the league" crap we have been hearing makes me feel better about my own fan base.

Kessel will jump from 25 goals in 2015 to low 30s in 2016, that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->