Confirmed with Link: Phil Housley Hired as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
"Cowards don't play hockey."

Why do I have the feeling this team would just complain if they were asked to wear too-toos and dance?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
"Cowards don't play hockey."

Why do I have the feeling this team would just complain if they were asked to wear too-toos and dance?

download.php

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Question: Housley's system requires the type of players we absolutely do not have and if we get very lucky will take us about 3-4 years to get. Why did we not hire someone who could implement a system that could get results in less than like half a decade?

Reactions: Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Question: Housley's system requires the type of players we absolutely do not have and if we get very lucky will take us about 3-4 years to get. Why did we not hire someone who could implement a system that could get results in less than like half a decade?

Because when run to perfection with the right players it's unstoppable. Think 82-0.

Reactions: sabremike

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005

False hope that Housley made the Nash defense go, not the other way around.

We bought a case of snakeoil

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Great write up.

In regards to the point I bolded, one of this team's many deficiencies is the glaring lack of all-around passing talent.

List of Sabres forwards I generally trust to either effectively pass to players who are on the move, or receive passes while they're already skating fairly hard:
Jack
RoR
Sam
ERod, sometimes
Hopefully Mittelstadt can do this consistently

List of Sabres defensemen I trust to make accurate passes to fairly nearby (i.e. from a bit within the blue line to players nearing center ice) moving targets:
Nelson
Antipin
Risto, sometimes

The Sabres' speed issue isn't just about lack of footspeed, though that is a problem as well. But the lack of crisp passing results in constant turnovers and a near comical inability to produce any quick strike chances off the rush.
I can't separate the Sabres issues passing from the awful spacing created by not having the skating from the back to play the system. Without blueliners capable of breaking the shape of the defense, our forwards are blanketed on the breakout, and don't have the safety valve of a streaking D.

I don't think we are. We have one quality defenseman in Scandella, one guy filling minutes, but is an absolute detriment to the team in Ristolainen, and one prospect worth a damn in Guhle. Every other player wouldn't find a roster spot as a 7D for Ottawa.
It's not just the quantity that's the problem, it's the skillset we'll need to pick out. Explosive skating defensemen are one of the most valuable player types in the league right now, there aren't many in UFA beyond depth guys (Kempny and Barberio are good projects).

Outside of Klefbom & TJ Brodie (and a subsequent return to form), I really haven't seen those players bandied about this offseason. The Ducks and Preds already parted with their expendables, Sergachev has changed hands, and most-every other team views their guy as core. Maybe Honka in Dallas, who struggled to crack the rotation this year and projects to lose reps to Heiskanen.

The team is still bad enough defensively that slower tough-minutes bottom four guy could really help stabilize things. Unfortunately, everything I've seen from Housley says he'll let the perfect remain the enemy of the good.

Last edited:

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Right or wrong system / player usage aside - There's a couple of things with Phil that really sticks in my craw. The first thing being, he has no confidence when he speaks, has no tone and basically sounds like he isn't even sure of what he is doing and sounds scared. I want to hear someone with a voice, some passion and has some presence. All i've heard is a bumbling soft spoken school kid.

Also and its not his fault, but i hate hearing the words "hes learning how to be a coach" as been mentioned by a few players - (I think Botts did as well) that really concerns me. This is the NHL, if you are still learning the basics including communication then there's a real issue. Its bad enough having a coach whos learning, but you throw in a young team whos also learning how to be Pro's off and on the ice, its a recipe for disaster. Someone needs to take control, Coach Phil sounded great on paper, but after hearing him this year I think a veteran NHL coach should have been employed. I just wish they fired Bylsma and employed Gerard Gallant as soon as he was available - Was a big fan of what he did for Florida

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Because those “results” would plateau at midstandings year after year and never sniff the playoffs, and the we’d be right back to where we were during the Darcy malaise.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Because those “results” would plateau at midstandings year after year and never sniff the playoffs, and the we’d be right back to where we were during the Darcy malaise.
Vegas right now is showing how far simple well coached hockey can take a team. Playing a system you absolutely don't have the personnel to pull off is guaranteed painful failure. Reminds me of the time Billy Martin sent Mike Pagliarulo up to bat and ordered him to bat from the opposite stance despite the fact he wasn't a switch hitter and had in fact never done that in his life. The result was a 3 pitch strikeout if memory serves.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Vegas right now is showing how far simple well coached hockey can take a team. Playing a system you absolutely don't have the personnel to pull off is guaranteed painful failure. Reminds me of the time Billy Martin sent Mike Pagliarulo up to bat and ordered him to bat from the opposite stance despite the fact he wasn't a switch hitter and had in fact never done that in his life. The result was a 3 pitch strikeout if memory serves.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Shouldn't the title be "Sabres may have fired Housely"?
Maybe they did and it just hasn't been made official.
They may have fired Botterill too.
This is called the Pilut effect.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Lets see if Phil manages another
Drop off in points with
Dahlin and Mittelstadt fulltime ;-)

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA

Because with the guys Murray acquired, it's going to take years. Listen to some of the guys on SN and TSN who say Botts and Housley got stuck with an impossible situation. Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman both think this rodeo is in place for at least another full season for Housley and more for Botts. I know things were terrible, but you know players heads have to be spinning going Nolan-Bylsma-Housley so quickly. Those are three very drastically different styles. Player usage aside, without that problem, are we 10 points better? That's still a lottery team WITH NO DAHLIN. This is a nice core that's rounding out. Murray's guys, minus ROR (could be traded) and Okposo (now that's a contract) are beginning to cycle out. Have a little faith. You can't switch coaches every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad