Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Phil had a golden opportunity to finally put ERod with Jack with Poms goin down the lineup to replace KO and he still couldnt do it, instead he goes back to old faithful while breaking up Mitts/Rhino.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Gallant made the playoffs each year in Florida and now they're not going to make it, meanwhile his group of randoms is probably going to make the playoffs again in year 2 of an expansion team.

NYI was in 22nd last season and they lost Tavares to free agency, they get Trotz and now they're near the top of the league.

Blues were nearly dead last when we were in 1st, they replaced their coach and now have 4 more points than us and are on a 10 game winning streak of their own.

The Preds are allowing fewer goals every year since Housley is no longer their assistant/defensive coach even when league scoring is up. All a coincidence!? I was going to list all the things Housley has done that is stupid but I rather not write my own book. Fact is hes not getting the most out of the roster hes given.

Is Quenneville the answer? IDK...but their team hasn't been any better since he was canned. His teams have made the playoffs 18 times in 20 years and we get compared a lot to the early Blackhawks roster he was given.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
For those wanting Housley's head, we have to remember where the team was. Bottom of the league last year. I said to my friends that they'd be playing meaningful games in March, but fall short. Progress has been made. Let's remember that before we start whacking coaches.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
For those wanting Housley's head, we have to remember where the team was. Bottom of the league last year. I said to my friends that they'd be playing meaningful games in March, but fall short. Progress has been made. Let's remember that before we start whacking coaches.
Yes, Housley already has one last place finish on his record. That doesn't exactly help him though.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
maybe you forgot where this team was....

Did you forget where Bylsma had us? 81 points on the season before Housley's 62 point season.

Let me tell you since you dont remember, Bylsma was working with more AHL talent than Housley has and unless you think the roster went backwards last year then please enlighten us why it's all Botterill's fault for Housley's struggle.

So what progress has Housley made? He got a new assistant coach? He rode the coattails of hot goaltending for a 10 game streak?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Housley clearly isn’t the answer. Fure him, hire an interim vet that can teach the basics of hockey and search like maniacs for a permanent coach.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
You coach a team into last place who finished better the 2 years before you were hired and in your 2nd year you probably finish were the last coach was with a worse roster.
I don't see improvement.
They created this last place finish, the same coach did it, he managed to be as bad as the 2014 team which had no talent at all.
There is no excuse to finish last with the roster that was available last year.
He "coached" the team into the ground.
I dont care he obviously isnt/wasnt ready to coach at the NHL level but since or GM is a rookie too he isn't going to fire him especially given his approach of longterm nose picking without reacting to whats going on around him.
It seems those two are made for each other in their theoretical approach of systems, culture and pep talks which doesnt amount to much in the practical world of the on ice product.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
You coach a team into last place who finished better the 2 years before you were hired and in your 2nd year you probably finish were the last coach was with a worse roster.
I don't see improvement.
They created this last place finish, the same coach did it, he managed to be as bad as the 2014 team which had no talent at all.
There is no excuse to finish last with the roster that was available last year.
He "coached" the team into the ground.
I dont care he obviously isnt/wasnt ready to coach at the NHL level but since or GM is a rookie too he isn't going to fire him especially given his approach of longterm nose picking without reacting to whats going on around him.
It seems those two are made for each other in their theoretical approach of systems, culture and pep talks which doesnt amount to much in the practical world of the on ice product.

Don't get fooled by the place in the standings; goaltending, PDO, and the Bogo/McCabe injuries had more of an effect than Housley's coaching. Prior to this year we were pretty much the exact same team for 3 straight years:

TeamSeasonGPCF%CF/60CA/60GF%GF/60GA/60xGF%xGF/60xGA/60
BUF2015-20168247.5449.9855.1644.981.832.2347.431.92.1
BUF2016-20178247.2451.9257.9944.841.882.3147.572.062.27
BUF2017-20188247.5851.3556.5740.481.812.6745.051.932.36
BUF2018-20195849.4154.5855.8948.522.432.5848.082.192.37
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Alternatively, the biggest difference this year is in our GF production, which I think most would agree can be tied directly to the additions of Dahlin, Skinner, and Sheary, as well as the progression of some of our youth.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Housley will finish the season a sabre.

If Botts didn't hire Housley he would be fired by now.

I hate how GMs tie themselves to coaches and players.

Yeah, I'm figuring that if Botts doesn't fire Phil Lousy er....Housley at the end of this road trip (and he likely won't), he'll give him the remainder of the season and the beginning of next to improve the team's record. I don't agree with this but I really doubt Botts fires Phil unless Pegula says it's Phil or both of you.

Let's say you were hired into the VP of Sales and Marketing slot and you were responsible for business equivalent of the RoR trade. And lost 40% of your market share as a result while your competitor gained market share - partly as a result of your mis judgement. Your business measures success by quarterly earning reports (i.e.; W-L records). And you are now showing losses in 6 consecutive quarters?

How long do you think you would keep your job?

Botts should have gotten a government job because that's the only one you can't be fired from for making compound critical mistakes and/or poor performance.

Reactions: sabremike

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Boudreau would be a better choice for this team if we're going the retread route.

Ever catch audio from one of Boudreau's practices? He's a superlative trash talker and employs some of the more unique forms of ef bombing found in the english language.

Also, have to wonder how he hasn't given himself an aneurysm behind the bench during games yet.

Talk about culture shock!! :laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Gallant made the playoffs each year in Florida and now they're not going to make it, meanwhile his group of randoms is probably going to make the playoffs again in year 2 of an expansion team.

NYI was in 22nd last season and they lost Tavares to free agency, they get Trotz and now they're near the top of the league.

Blues were nearly dead last when we were in 1st, they replaced their coach and now have 4 more points than us and are on a 10 game winning streak of their own.

The Preds are allowing fewer goals every year since Housley is no longer their assistant/defensive coach even when league scoring is up. All a coincidence!? I was going to list all the things Housley has done that is stupid but I rather not write my own book. Fact is hes not getting the most out of the roster hes given.

Is Quenneville the answer? IDK...but their team hasn't been any better since he was canned. His teams have made the playoffs 18 times in 20 years and we get compared a lot to the early Blackhawks roster he was given.

I don't think Quennville is the answer. Never have..........

Besides, Bednar is on the hot seat here in Colorado (MacKinnon is extremely unhappy and no longer listening to his coach). So I am guessing/speculating/totally off the wall prognosticating that Sakic has been talking to his ex coach of late......

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

The Hawks are 3 points out of a playoff spot, they have been better since Q left. They started off terribly but have come on.

I don't know who the answer is but it isn't Housley. I think the next coach needs experience and clout. But the roster and coach both need to be upgraded if any success is to be had.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't think Quennville is the answer. Never have..........

Besides, Bednar is on the hot seat here in Colorado (MacKinnon is extremely unhappy and no longer listening to his coach). So I am guessing/speculating/totally off the wall prognosticating that Sakic has been talking to his ex coach of late......

Bolded: For me, it depends on what is the question of what we want to accomplish with our next hire. I wouldn't be interested in hiring Quenneville because of his x's and o's. I would be interested in hiring him to correct issues in the locker room and build up much needed standards through this organization that we seem to lack in the NHL and AHL. I think there is a lot wrong with this team, and it's rooted in a lack bringing a consistency to the ice, whether in practice or games. I think he would do a good job performing that task. In turn, we would be looking at a much more often competitive team. I'm not asking him to re-invent the wheel, I'm asking him to teach these players how to be successful professionals. The hiring of Bylsma and Housley have drastically put us behind in this aspect.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL

The problem with this scenario is that the 10 game win streak is the only reason they even remotely playing meaningful games right now. Since the streak, the team is playing right at the pace they were last year, a.k.a. a bottom of the league team. I gave Housley an excuse last year for the team needing time to learn his system. We performed a bit better at the tail end of last year, so the hope was that progress would carry over.

This is what is concerning.

We shot out of the cannon this year, but we are not getting better as we go on. In fact, we are getting worse.

I know our roster can be better but can anyone honestly watch this team and tell me we couldn't win a ton more games if we had better player usage and lines? When this team uses it speed and plays with confidence, they can beat even the best teams in the league.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The Hawks are 3 points out of a playoff spot, they have been better since Q left. They started off terribly but have come on.

I don't know who the answer is but it isn't Housley. I think the next coach needs experience and clout. But the roster and coach both need to be upgraded if any success is to be had.

They're on pace for 79 points which is 3 more than least year. The west sucks.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
The problem with this scenario is that the 10 game win streak is the only reason they even remotely playing meaningful games right now. Since the streak, the team is playing right at the pace they were last year, a.k.a. a bottom of the league team. I gave Housley an excuse last year for the team needing time to learn his system. We performed a bit better at the tail end of last year, so the hope was that progress would carry over.

This is what is concerning.

We shot out of the cannon this year, but we are not getting better as we go on. In fact, we are getting worse.

I know our roster can be better but can anyone honestly watch this team and tell me we couldn't win a ton more games if we had better player usage and lines? When this team uses it speed and plays with confidence, they can beat even the best teams in the league.
I said it before and will say it again Montreal and the Islanders is what we could be with a good coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad