Phil Housley discussion thread

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by Snippit, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snippit

Snippit Registered User

Okay let's please not boot this season away by waiting until the end of the year.

Housley is just as bad as Bylsma.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MOD WARNING: Knock it off with comments about each other. Comments are to be about Phil Housley. Stay on topic or at a minimum you will be removed from the thread.
    added: 11/29/2018 Buffaloed

Last edited by moderator Buffaloed: Nov 29, 2018
    Heretic likes this.
  2. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Let's go, Buffalo!

SW SE
    Home Page:
    Well, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Taylor obviously knows Botts.

And it's not like promoting the AHL coach to be the NHL coach is a foreign concept to Botts.

3. Samsonite23

Samsonite23 Registered User

I agree. I do think it's very possible. Just pointing out that it's pretty crazy.

4. Jim Bob

SW SE
    Home Page:
    I like what Taylor has done enough to not think it is crazy.

Personally, I'd rather go in another direction. But, I won't think it is a crazy move or a move that warrants any sort of talk that Botts should get canned for hiring him.

I think it is the comfortable move and that's why I think it will happen.

And while I like the idea of Q as the next coach, I don't think he is the type of guy that Botts or the Pegulas could land.

5. Willgamesh

Willgamesh Registered User

We should see how the amerks do in the playoffs before we make any decision on Taylor.

6. littletonhockeycoach

littletonhockeycoach NOT the Hanson Bros..... Sponsor

retired ex Fed
    Good post. This is completely anecdotal but during the strike year I was coaching HS hockey here in Colorado and found myself opposite the Cherry Creek HS powerhouse which had both Joel Quennville and Tony Granato on the opposite bench. We tied them 2 -2. I still believe it was the best game I ever coached - bench management wise at least.

I'm a nobody. If I can coach a Joel Quennville team to a draw, anyone can! LoL

Finally, I'll add two words that help to explain the Joel Quenneville mystique......... "Mike Kitchen".

7. Chainshot

Chainshot Give 'em Enough Rope Sponsor

Herding Cats
    Awards:
    I would like someone who is vetted in having had success at a near-NHL level as a head coach but isn't a retread nor someone who is purely getting pull because he's an ex-Sabre. This team hasn't won enough nor has the alumni won enough to warrant someone like Ledyard or Peca getting installation.

brian_griffin and Baccus like this.
  8. kp2575

kp2575 Ray's Pocket Square

It doesn't matter who they hire we all will relentlessly ***** about them 20 games in.

9. WeLikeEich

WeLikeEich Registered User

Personally, I don’t think housley is going to be fired.

This is clearly not a “playoffs or bust” year for botterill. He’s done little to improve the roster since the offseason. No trades, not even minor depth trades. Only 1 waiver claim. Hardly even any call-ups.

I think Botts wanted to be in the playoff mix all season. I think, to him, that is likely a successful season.

So I don’t see him firing housley.

And if/when housley is fired, I’m afraid that it won’t be an outside hire to take his place. My guess is that Chris Taylor will be promoted.

It seems like the penguins, in botterill’s time there, had the tendency to promote their AHL coach to take over for fired NHL coaches.
    2 of the 3 coaches hired in his time there were AHL coaches in Wilkes-Barrie.

Couple names that interest me - Keefe (as others mentioned) and here’s one out of left field -

Ralph Krueger. I believe botterill tried to interview him, too (before hiring housley). Talk about a high energy, passionate, motivator...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. Jim Bob

SW SE
    Home Page:
    I'm hearing good things about Peca from a FB friend who's son is playing for his 15U Jr Sabres team...

:sarcasm:

1point21Gigawatts likes this.
  11. Sabre the Win

Sabre the Win #FreeAlex

I advocated him over Housley before and I will do it again, Marc Crawford.

He runs Ottawa's offense and they are ranked 11th this season, last year they made the playoffs, the year before he coached the Lions in the SHL who had Matthew's and won the championship that year.

Hes been around a long time.. I defer to my posts from 2 years ago.

Speculation: - Coach Search 2017

12. 1point21Gigawatts

1point21Gigawatts hell's a gigawatt?

Student
    I honestly wish i knew the terms of housley's contract. is the minimum 3 years (i'd imagine it would have to be)? He isn't getting fired this year. I personally believe that Botts will run out the clock with Housley and just let him go before he fires the guy.

13. ZZamboni

ZZamboni Puttin' on the Foil

But a coach can be fired one day after the contract starts. And get paid most or all of this contract anyway. So there is no real “clock” preventing him from getting fired at any time. Besides performance.

14. SnuggaRUDE

SnuggaRUDE Registered User

Interestingly the Chicago board is 100% on board with Q being gone. Terrible PP and outdated systems are the rallying cry over there.

Fezzy126 and IlikeEich like this.
  15. TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1 Lord and Master of Zero F#cks Given!

Shelden Keefe or Quennville (if he feels we're in a prime place to build).

16. Gordo21

Gordo21 Registered User

This "Cry" for a new coach, at least on this board, is somewhat ridiculous if you ask me. Particularly after a game like last night where we outplayed them in almost every aspect with the exception of the scoreboard, with a team that frankly was inferior to the one we were playing. But last night not withstanding, it's still ridiculous.

We have a very young team still with young players playing extremely important roles for us. Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen being examples. Then we have a young group behind them, Pilut, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Rodrigues, Ullmark, who are slowly but surely improving, who we expect to take on bigger roles as they move forward.

We need to take a few steps with the roster, no doubt, but I'm not sure any of the aforementioned fit in as possibilities to this end. ( Yes, this means Ristolainen too )

Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away.

Stew is just starting to simmer ... and to that end, I wish this board would just "simmer" down a bit.

17. sabremike

sabremike #1 OA Pick in the 2019 Bandwagon Draft (CBJ)

That team had played the day before on the road and basically went through the motions and they STILL beat us. From his insane roster and line decisions to having the tactical acumen of a loaf of bread Housley is just freaking terrible and isn't going to magically get better over time. He has no business coaching an NHL team and is completely in over his head.

18. Gordo21

Gordo21 Registered User

Holy smokes,

We played the night before too. We outplayed them substantially too with an inferior roster.

Not sure you realize this but Winnipeg is good.

I just hope to God the Pegula's aren't this dramatic when making decisions for this team or we will continually be taking one step forward two steps back.

Goodness

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. Baccus

Baccus Perpetual Shroom Tech Rebuild

I enjoy the convergence that Tim Murray TRADED OUR FUTURE AWAY while Botts somehow has it BACK ON TRACK in less then two seasons. Apparently not that big a divergence, amazing what one good roll of the lotto balls can do.

I'd point to both GM's employing bad coaches who are then also given far too much rope as a compelling consistent factor in the actual results in the standings. "You are what your record says you are" is the phrase I believe.

20. OkimLom

OkimLom Registered User

I won’t speak for everyone else, but a major reason why I want Housley traded is because I have seen enough from Housley to realize that his “teaching” and the reliance on him teaching this team to win game isn’t that solid. I still don’t see any standards from this team, I don’t see any equal accountability That successful teams all have, and I don’t have faith in Housley all of a sudden implementing it.

If I get a chance to get someone who not only has more experience but was/is more successful than Housley then I want to do that. It’s kind of like addressing an issue before it becomes a serious problem.

I had very low expectations from the team, and they exceeded them so this isn’t about where they are this year, but I still haven’t seen enough from Housley to feel safe with him long term.

sabremike likes this.
  21. Gordo21

Gordo21 Registered User

"Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away."

We need to stay the course, with a little help from our GM, is a bit different than gambling our future away.

We are NOT Toronto, Babcock would not be enjoying a solid playoff run with this team.

22. sabremike

How did Barry Trotz take a roster that really isn't significantly better than ours and had their franchise player walk out the door and have them in first place by 5 points? Coaching matters.

23. Myllz

Myllz #justbogothings

IT Management
    You don't think someone like Babcock makes this team 2-4 points better (which is all they need to be in a playoff spot right now)?

I do.

24. Gordo21

Gordo21 Registered User

The only argument for a new coach is that you are philosophically against the system he is running.

And I'm not sure that you can say that about Housley, especially with how the NHL game is evolving towards offense and speed right now.

We may not have the roster quite yet to succeed in this fashion, but we are not far off either if you ask me. And most of our young guys fit this evolving style.

This roster is not complete though, make no mistake about it.

Bring in a coach who is going to try and win every game 2 to 1, and not only will he probably fail based on where the NHl is going, but he will bore the living daylights, and suck the everlasting joy out of every fan that enjoys this wonderful game.

25. Gordo21

Gordo21 Registered User

Maybe

The only real criticism I have of how this team was run this year is that it seemed to take forever to figure out that Reinhart needed to be moved off the Eichel Skinner line. And to that end, I've noticed some real chemistry starting to build with Reinhart and his new linemates.

It may be too little too late though.

Having said this however, whether they make the playoffs or not, via a different coach or making moves sooner or frankly whatever, nothing but TIME will change this teams ultimate fortunes moving forward.

It just is what it is

26. sabremike

Again: watch the team that is probably going to kick our teeth in tomorrow night and get back to me on the whole "coaching doesn't matter" thing. Also do you think it's an accident that the Montreal team everyone thought was a tire fire has blown miles ahead of us? Coaching matters.

debaser66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.