Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm a Chris Taylor fan. But if Botts does that, he is insane. The options out there are too good to pass up right now.

Well, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Taylor obviously knows Botts.

And it's not like promoting the AHL coach to be the NHL coach is a foreign concept to Botts.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree. I do think it's very possible. Just pointing out that it's pretty crazy.

I like what Taylor has done enough to not think it is crazy.

Personally, I'd rather go in another direction. But, I won't think it is a crazy move or a move that warrants any sort of talk that Botts should get canned for hiring him.

I think it is the comfortable move and that's why I think it will happen.

And while I like the idea of Q as the next coach, I don't think he is the type of guy that Botts or the Pegulas could land.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I like what Taylor has done enough to not think it is crazy.

Personally, I'd rather go in another direction. But, I won't think it is a crazy move or a move that warrants any sort of talk that Botts should get canned for hiring him.

I think it is the comfortable move and that's why I think it will happen.

And while I like the idea of Q as the next coach, I don't think he is the type of guy that Botts or the Pegulas could land.
We should see how the amerks do in the playoffs before we make any decision on Taylor.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I was not a Q fan during those years. His love affair with plugs, his amazing ability to destroy his own goalies’ confidence, his seeming inability to make in-game adjustments, etc. Yeah, I wanted him out, and I was happy when he got axed—like a lot of other Avs fans at the time.

The first Chicago cup came as a surprise. I thought the Hawks won despite Q, not because of him. Obviously, the Hawks had even more success over the years since then. Meanwhile, the Avs have missed the playoffs in seven out of the ten years since Q left, and haven’t made it out of the first round since Q’s last year.

Were those 05-06 to 07-08 Avs teams really capable of more? Maybe it’s just the bad memories, but when I revisit those rosters, I don’t see a good team. I see a team trying to hang on and compete in Sakic’s last few years (understandably), when a rebuild was badly needed.

I’m not saying I think Q is great. He might be, he might not be. I’ve been wrong enough times to admit that I don’t know when it comes to coaches. At least from looking at Q’s success in Chicago, you can reasonably say that a talented team can with him at the helm. From a fan’s limited perspective, that’s a damn good sign.
Good post. This is completely anecdotal but during the strike year I was coaching HS hockey here in Colorado and found myself opposite the Cherry Creek HS powerhouse which had both Joel Quennville and Tony Granato on the opposite bench. We tied them 2 -2. I still believe it was the best game I ever coached - bench management wise at least.

I'm a nobody. If I can coach a Joel Quennville team to a draw, anyone can! LoL

Finally, I'll add two words that help to explain the Joel Quenneville mystique......... "Mike Kitchen".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would like someone who is vetted in having had success at a near-NHL level as a head coach but isn't a retread nor someone who is purely getting pull because he's an ex-Sabre. This team hasn't won enough nor has the alumni won enough to warrant someone like Ledyard or Peca getting installation.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Personally, I don’t think housley is going to be fired.

This is clearly not a “playoffs or bust” year for botterill. He’s done little to improve the roster since the offseason. No trades, not even minor depth trades. Only 1 waiver claim. Hardly even any call-ups.

I think Botts wanted to be in the playoff mix all season. I think, to him, that is likely a successful season.

So I don’t see him firing housley.

And if/when housley is fired, I’m afraid that it won’t be an outside hire to take his place. My guess is that Chris Taylor will be promoted.

It seems like the penguins, in botterill’s time there, had the tendency to promote their AHL coach to take over for fired NHL coaches.
2 of the 3 coaches hired in his time there were AHL coaches in Wilkes-Barrie.

Couple names that interest me - Keefe (as others mentioned) and here’s one out of left field -

Ralph Krueger. I believe botterill tried to interview him, too (before hiring housley). Talk about a high energy, passionate, motivator...

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would like someone who is vetted in having had success at a near-NHL level as a head coach but isn't a retread nor someone who is purely getting pull because he's an ex-Sabre. This team hasn't won enough nor has the alumni won enough to warrant someone like Ledyard or Peca getting installation.

I'm hearing good things about Peca from a FB friend who's son is playing for his 15U Jr Sabres team...

:sarcasm:

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I advocated him over Housley before and I will do it again, Marc Crawford.

He runs Ottawa's offense and they are ranked 11th this season, last year they made the playoffs, the year before he coached the Lions in the SHL who had Matthew's and won the championship that year.

Hes been around a long time.. I defer to my posts from 2 years ago.

I know he had a rough couple years coaching LA and Dallas but I think he learned from that and as you can see in Ottawa, he has left a big imprint on Ottawa's offense. It took him time to sit back and realize how the game changed and I love how he rebounds. After failed seasons in LA and Dallas he went to the Swiss League and turned it around and came to Ottawa to continue to turn things around.

He also built that Swiss team around Matthews so imagine what he could do for Eichel.

Speculation: - Coach Search 2017

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I honestly wish i knew the terms of housley's contract. is the minimum 3 years (i'd imagine it would have to be)? He isn't getting fired this year. I personally believe that Botts will run out the clock with Housley and just let him go before he fires the guy.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I honestly wish i knew the terms of housley's contract. is the minimum 3 years (i'd imagine it would have to be)? He isn't getting fired this year. I personally believe that Botts will run out the clock with Housley and just let him go before he fires the guy.

But a coach can be fired one day after the contract starts. And get paid most or all of this contract anyway. So there is no real “clock” preventing him from getting fired at any time. Besides performance.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
This "Cry" for a new coach, at least on this board, is somewhat ridiculous if you ask me. Particularly after a game like last night where we outplayed them in almost every aspect with the exception of the scoreboard, with a team that frankly was inferior to the one we were playing. But last night not withstanding, it's still ridiculous.

We have a very young team still with young players playing extremely important roles for us. Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen being examples. Then we have a young group behind them, Pilut, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Rodrigues, Ullmark, who are slowly but surely improving, who we expect to take on bigger roles as they move forward.

We need to take a few steps with the roster, no doubt, but I'm not sure any of the aforementioned fit in as possibilities to this end. ( Yes, this means Ristolainen too )

Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away.

Stew is just starting to simmer ... and to that end, I wish this board would just "simmer" down a bit.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This "Cry" for a new coach, at least on this board, is somewhat ridiculous if you ask me. Particularly after a game like last night where we outplayed them in almost every aspect with the exception of the scoreboard, with a team that frankly was inferior to the one we were playing. But last night not withstanding, it's still ridiculous.

We have a very young team still with young players playing extremely important roles for us. Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen being examples. Then we have a young group behind them, Pilut, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Rodrigues, Ullmark, who are slowly but surely improving, who we expect to take on bigger roles as they move forward.

We need to take a few steps with the roster, no doubt, but I'm not sure any of the aforementioned fit in as possibilities to this end. ( Yes, this means Ristolainen too )

Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away.

Stew is just starting to simmer ... and to that end, I wish this board would just "simmer" down a bit.
That team had played the day before on the road and basically went through the motions and they STILL beat us. From his insane roster and line decisions to having the tactical acumen of a loaf of bread Housley is just freaking terrible and isn't going to magically get better over time. He has no business coaching an NHL team and is completely in over his head.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
That team had played the day before on the road and basically went through the motions and they STILL beat us. From his insane roster and line decisions to having the tactical acumen of a loaf of bread Housley is just freaking terrible and isn't going to magically get better over time. He has no business coaching an NHL team and is completely in over his head.
Holy smokes,

We played the night before too. We outplayed them substantially too with an inferior roster.

Not sure you realize this but Winnipeg is good.

I just hope to God the Pegula's aren't this dramatic when making decisions for this team or we will continually be taking one step forward two steps back.

Goodness

Last edited:

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I enjoy the convergence that Tim Murray TRADED OUR FUTURE AWAY while Botts somehow has it BACK ON TRACK in less then two seasons. Apparently not that big a divergence, amazing what one good roll of the lotto balls can do.

I'd point to both GM's employing bad coaches who are then also given far too much rope as a compelling consistent factor in the actual results in the standings. "You are what your record says you are" is the phrase I believe.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I won’t speak for everyone else, but a major reason why I want Housley traded is because I have seen enough from Housley to realize that his “teaching” and the reliance on him teaching this team to win game isn’t that solid. I still don’t see any standards from this team, I don’t see any equal accountability That successful teams all have, and I don’t have faith in Housley all of a sudden implementing it.

If I get a chance to get someone who not only has more experience but was/is more successful than Housley then I want to do that. It’s kind of like addressing an issue before it becomes a serious problem.

I had very low expectations from the team, and they exceeded them so this isn’t about where they are this year, but I still haven’t seen enough from Housley to feel safe with him long term.

Reactions: sabremike

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I enjoy the convergence that Tim Murray TRADED OUR FUTURE AWAY while Botts somehow has it BACK ON TRACK in less then two seasons. Apparently not that big a divergence, amazing what one good roll of the lotto balls can do.

I'd point to both GM's employing bad coaches who are then also given far too much rope as a compelling consistent factor in the actual results in the standings. "You are what your record says you are" is the phrase I believe.
"Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away."

We need to stay the course, with a little help from our GM, is a bit different than gambling our future away.

We are NOT Toronto, Babcock would not be enjoying a solid playoff run with this team.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
"Bottom line, whether we like it or not, this team is still in a growing process that can be helped or sped up to a certain degree by our GM, but not to the point where he GMTM's our future away."

We need to stay the course, with a little help from our GM, is a bit different than gambling our future away.

We are NOT Toronto, Babcock would not be enjoying a playoff run with this team. Goodness
How did Barry Trotz take a roster that really isn't significantly better than ours and had their franchise player walk out the door and have them in first place by 5 points? Coaching matters.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

We are NOT Toronto, Babcock would not be enjoying a playoff run with this team.

You don't think someone like Babcock makes this team 2-4 points better (which is all they need to be in a playoff spot right now)?

I do.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
The only argument for a new coach is that you are philosophically against the system he is running.

And I'm not sure that you can say that about Housley, especially with how the NHL game is evolving towards offense and speed right now.

We may not have the roster quite yet to succeed in this fashion, but we are not far off either if you ask me. And most of our young guys fit this evolving style.

This roster is not complete though, make no mistake about it.

Bring in a coach who is going to try and win every game 2 to 1, and not only will he probably fail based on where the NHl is going, but he will bore the living daylights, and suck the everlasting joy out of every fan that enjoys this wonderful game.

Last edited:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
You don't think someone like Babcock makes this team 2-4 points better (which is all they need to be in a playoff spot right now)?

I do.
Maybe

The only real criticism I have of how this team was run this year is that it seemed to take forever to figure out that Reinhart needed to be moved off the Eichel Skinner line. And to that end, I've noticed some real chemistry starting to build with Reinhart and his new linemates.

It may be too little too late though.

Having said this however, whether they make the playoffs or not, via a different coach or making moves sooner or frankly whatever, nothing but TIME will change this teams ultimate fortunes moving forward.

It just is what it is

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Maybe

The only real criticism I have of how this team was run this year is that it seemed to take forever to figure out that Reinhart needed to be moved off the Eichel Skinner line. And to that end, I've noticed some real chemistry starting to build with Reinhart and his new linemates.

It may be too little too late though.

Having said this however, whether they make the playoffs or not, via a different coach or making moves sooner, nothing but TIME will change this teams ultimate fortunes moving forward.

It just is what it is
Again: watch the team that is probably going to kick our teeth in tomorrow night and get back to me on the whole "coaching doesn't matter" thing. Also do you think it's an accident that the Montreal team everyone thought was a tire fire has blown miles ahead of us? Coaching matters.

Reactions: debaser66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad