Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Wouldn’t be shocked one bit if Toronto doesn’t allow that and wants him not interviewing, but eventually he will be available. Wanted him for a while including when we fired Bylsma. Was looking at him as the eventual coach to replace Dan.
Has this ever been done by an NHL team? Not allowing the head coach of their AHL team to interview for a head coaching gig? I've seen things to that effect done in the NFL with coaches that are on the staff of a team still in the playoffs which makes sense. I just think it would be a very bad look for the Leafs organization.
Keefe is the guy I want. Get Housley out of here, immediately. Don't f*** around and wait any longer when it's obvious Housley isn't the long-term solution here.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They can't hold him in the AHL forever, and Babcock certainly isn't going anywhere any time soon. Promising as he is, though, I think I'd rather have Quenneville. It's been a while since we've had someone in the organization who brings his level of experience and accomplishments. I'm wary of bringing in another rookie HC after Housley.

Unlike Housley, he’s been a Head Coach of a Professional team for a while now and has been successful at it.

Deleted member 27798

I would give Housley until Christmas 2019. We average more than half of our lineup each game with guys not here last year. We are playing 6 guys in their first full year (if Thompson and Smith play) in the nhl. Botts has to sign Skinner, find a good stay at home defence man to shut down at end of games. He needs to dump some guys that are has beens, wannabes or never" wases" He needs to hit on the draft choices he has this year not that they are likely to help right away. Housley has to get these guys to commit to playing 5 man hockey and make sure the best 20 are playing every night. The power play has to get consistently better and that is coaching--we have the talent for a darn good PP1. If we are not comfortably in a playoff position at that time then his ass is grass.
You wait until Xmas 2019, and chances are if the Sabres are bad at that point, yet another season will have been flushed down the drain.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Has this ever been done by an NHL team? Not allowing the head coach of their AHL team to interview for a head coaching gig? I've seen things to that effect done in the NFL with coaches that are on the staff of a team still in the playoffs which makes sense. I just think it would be a very bad look for the Leafs organization.
Keefe is the guy I want. Get Housley out of here, immediately. Don't **** around and wait any longer when it's obvious Housley isn't the long-term solution here.

I believe teams have the right to approve or deny contracted coaches or executives from interviewing with other teams. I believe I saw that in an article a few years ago after the draft compensation rule was no more.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You wait until Xmas 2019, and chances are if the Sabres are bad at that point, yet another season will have been flushed down the drain.
Of course that is always a possibility. But a new guy with a new system could make all that happen too. The Sabres as a TEAM have played reasonably well. It is individual failure to score on some very good chances and then individual dumb plays defensively which have hurt us badly. Is Housley to blame for Dahlin's goofs today ? Eichel's stupid shot last game? With Dahlin out of position when Jack did his Evander Kane imitation and rang the puck around the boards? Referees that seem to let the opposition get away with a lot so as not to have the penalties be too one sided? Those things cost us the last 2 games that should have been wins. Blaming Housley is enabling the real offenders to hide from their numbskull decisions. His job is to show them how to correct those mistakes.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Wouldnt advise that, we're not a very good defensive positioning team and thats supposed to be his thing.

Wouldn’t be shocked one bit if Toronto doesn’t allow that and wants him not interviewing, but eventually he will be available. Wanted him for a while including when we fired Bylsma. Was looking at him as the eventual coach to replace Dan.
Leafs Twitter went into a big fuss last year after Kyle Dubas liked a Nick Mercadante tweet saying "So Sheldon Keefe is the next coach of the Rangers?" shortly after the Rangers coaching job opened up.
It also should be noted that Keefe and Dubas were good friends before they were both in the Leafs organization. I doubt that Dubas is blocking or planning on blocking Keefe, Its much more likely he's just getting passed over.

Keefe also might just be waiting around, Babcock is one more 1st round exit away from a "discussion starting"

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don’t want Nolan (joke of a coach). He’s so good a ton of teams have him on their short list. Not.
I don’t want Ruff (been there done that) no thanks. Moving on from his act.

Quennville or Keefe would be nice.

Last edited:

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
honestly, Nolan may be what this team needs

Team often simply does not compete night in night out. If this team played as hard as the tank team did, they'd be a 115 point team

Hahahhahaha

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
They can't hold him in the AHL forever, and Babcock certainly isn't going anywhere any time soon. Promising as he is, though, I think I'd rather have Quenneville. It's been a while since we've had someone in the organization who brings his level of experience and accomplishments. I'm wary of bringing in another rookie HC after Housley.
Keefe isn't a rookie head coach. Housley was. Keefe has been head coaching for the past 12 years, working his way up. He didn't get promoted based on pedigree. He coached junior A, won championships, then major junior, where he lifted Sault Saint Marie from mediocrity to nearly a memorial cup (ran into MacDavid's Otters in the finals), and then on to the AHL where he's won a Calder, and finished 1st in the North 2 out of 3 years.
He as different from Housley as could possible be.
He is Jon Cooper in 2013. He is Mike Babcock in 2000.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I don’t want Nolan (joke of a coach). He’s so good a ton of teams have him on their short list. Not.
I don’t want Ruff (been there done that) no thanks. Moving on from his act.

Quennville or Keefe would be nice.
From his act? Please explain he was Buffalo's most successful coach.Had players back and if your stars got attacked there was retribution

Reactions: Willgamesh

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I believe teams have the right to approve or deny contracted coaches or executives from interviewing with other teams. I believe I saw that in an article a few years ago after the draft compensation rule was no more.

I don’t think they can in the offseason. They can midseason.

They AHL coach doesn’t have to take the job or Toronto could pay him more to stay.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Housley

Botts and Housley get another year. This revolving door of bullshit needs to end.

No need to change systems. Need to tweek a couple things and wait just a bit more for further maturation of some players

Seen improvement throughout the year with a couple already

Thompson, Mittelstadt anyone?

Oops, forgot who I was asking.:naughty:

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Keefe isn't a rookie head coach. Housley was. Keefe has been head coaching for the past 12 years, working his way up. He didn't get promoted based on pedigree. He coached junior A, won championships, then major junior, where he lifted Sault Saint Marie from mediocrity to nearly a memorial cup (ran into MacDavid's Otters in the finals), and then on to the AHL where he's won a Calder, and finished 1st in the North 2 out of 3 years.
He as different from Housley as could possible be.
He is Jon Cooper in 2013. He is Mike Babcock in 2000.
You do not know this and let's slow down with declaring Keefe the future Cooper or Babcock before he has coached a single NHL game. Dallas Eakins was the next big thing 5 years ago.

IMO it would be a huge mistake to hand this young team over to another coach with zero NHL games under his belt. Quennville is out there and immediately commands the respect of any NHL locker room.

Pegula was talking about hockey heaven almost 10 years ago an the franchise has been amongst the worst since. It's time to stop being cute with thed head coaching position and go get a proven winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->